Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
FTL Chassis Air Condensor Fan

On my 2001 Cruisemaster with FTL Chassis the dash air does not blow cold air. I've added 3-1/2 cans of R134a using a hose with a low pressure gauge only. The system will go low (20 - 30 psi) and take some freon then go high up to 70 or 80 PSI and stop taking freon and then go low and take more freon. It does this over and over but finally takes the freon. I noticed that the condensor fan is not coming on. The condensor is located under the chassis in front of the front axle. I'm pretty sure it needs the fan to run to cool the condensor. I've checked the fuse to the fan and it is good. I guess my next step will be to track down the relay. Does anyone know where it may be located? Also, am I on the right track here?

2001 Cruisemaster/300 Cat/2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring/Acme Tow Dolly
wimberleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #2

If the A/C compressor clutch is cycling and the fan is not your on the right track, test the fan by feeding it power direct from the battery. If the fan works try back tracking the wiring to find a relay. If there isn't a relay in the F/L relay in the under hood power centers then the A/C was added by the coach maker and you'll just have to track it down.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at this website,Yes the condensor fan should run with AC On.
Evans Tempcon, Inc
Click on the Electrical Schematics and read up.
My 40' MH has a total of 3lbs. of 134a freon in the system,per installer label.
Siggy & Ursula.
2011 Newmar DSDP 4020 (no Tag, no DEF, 07 emission),
FTL XCR ,ISL 400,2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4x4, V6, Active Drive II, BrakeBuddy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have added 3.5 cans of freon, you need to repair the leak. That means it was near empty and possibly air got in the system and it needed to be evacuated.

AC systems do not use up freon. I would suggest a refrigeration tech look at it and check hi and low pressure and test the freon for moisture and oil content, if that much freon leaked out the some oil leaked out with it and needs to be replaced.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Success! Well almost. Thanks to Skip426 and Siggyd I got the schematic off the Evans Tempcon website, applied 12V directly to the fan (it worked) and traced the wiring from the fan up through the chassis to find the relay. I lucked out in that the wires went directly to the front of the firewall below the expansion valve. The relay was actually down at the frame but was not secured with any screws. I got a new relay at the local auto parts store, plugged it in, fired up the cat and turned the AC on max. The AC was blowing cold air in less than one minute! Only thing is the condensor fan makes a high pitch whine. Anyone know if this is normal? There is a backing plate on the back of the fan. I thought I might try removing it and lubricating the bearing. If I do, however, will springs, magnets and such fly out 100 different directions. Anybody out there tried lubricating the condensor fan? It's an Evaans Tempcon although they probably are not the OEM.
2001 Cruisemaster/300 Cat/2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring/Acme Tow Dolly
wimberleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Lubing the fan in theory sounds good and may even work temporarily (if you can even do it) but the fan is bad, you'll have to change it.
The plate can be removed and there may be a washer or 2 that sits on the shaft but the bearing is probably a sealed type and not repairable.

2004 Fleetwood Discovery 3126 CAT engine
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

chassis, fan