Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #15

That is true, but the additional cost of Diesel must be included in the equation. So the true comparison between gas and Diesel mileage must actually be Cost Per Mile. There are other more intangible factors, but these are debated in all of the gas vs. Diesel chassis threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
In VERY simple terms, an engine does not burn "gallons" but rather burns pounds of fuel.
A gallon of diesel weighs 7.15 lbs, a gallon of regular gas weighs 6 to 6.3 lbs per gallon... All things being equal, you get more miles per gallon from diesel
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #16

If you enjoy the RV life...then it is what it is!!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
how do I fiqure my milage and how much My coach is using per mile?
If you have a computer it is easy to set up a spreadsheet that will figure all that out for you.

Miles driven in A1 divided by Gal used in A2 = Average in A3
A1/A2 results in A3

I have one that has keep track of all the fuel/miles put in/on my MH since I bought it in 2002.

Average 10.223 MPG
Cost per mile 0.240¢
Cost per Gal. $2.451

If your computer doesn't have a Office program. Download a Free one here.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #18

grits 58, I was sitting here reading these post and ran across yours... I ran the numbers to see what you were talking about...I was a truck driver for 12 years... a 800 mile trip depends on if summer time, spring.. the reson is let's say it's 90 degrees and you are going to the gennie..don't know if you have one gas tank or two..here are the #. 800 miles @ say averge 60 mhp.=13 hr trip..old gennie is sucking 1 to 1 1/2 gal per hour.. say for old sake 1 1/2... a 13 hr trip =19.5 so the point being when you figure fuel the best way is to fill it up. write down the miles run a 100 mile trip without the gennie running fill it again check your miles .. devide gal into the mile and you will get true miles on your mh..
nanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using a Scanguage D on my MH pretty much the entire time I have owned it. I have done the math every way you can do it and my 330 HP. Cat engine costs about .42 cents a mile to operate. Speeds between 62-68. Never tried anything much slower on a real trip. Now that diesel is over 4.00 a gallon I may need to slow down a bit to keep the costs at or near my target of .40 cents a mile. In the mpg equation, 8.7 to 9.5 mpg with no toad. I control my costs with my right foot. Wind, road conditions all add or subtract to the real costs but you can control that with your right foot. Want to get 10-12 mpg, go 55 and watch the world go by. Cost per mile is what you want to know and be concerned with. MPG is just a number when you are driving you home down the road. Good luck and seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
..old gennie is sucking 1 to 1 1/2 gal per hour..
That Gennie needs a tuneup, using that much fuel.
Or is it running 4 roof AC's at the same time?
.5 to .8 GPH is more like most generators use.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
That Gennie needs a tuneup, using that much fuel.
Or is it running 4 roof AC's at the same time?
.5 to .8 GPH is more like most generators use.
It would appear there are more problems than a tune up would cure. How are you (the OP) calculating MPG?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
I have a 1990 Pace Arrow 34' its gas has a 90 gallon tank if I was planing a trip 800 miles how do I fiqure my milage and how much My coach is using per mile? Also is diesel better on milage than gas and can I go farther on diesel? I never have been able to fiqure how many miles I get to the gallon in my highlander? So if anyone can show me the chart on how to do it please help Thanks.
I can promise you this if you put Diesel in your tank you won't be going anywhere.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #23

Any MPG advantage for going shorter?

In the same vein as this discussion, we are also in the midst of this long research for our first MH. One thing I have struggled to get my head around is the lack of information about mileage and its variants. I understand the various factors that impact the mileage (i.e. eleveation changes, weather, toads, weight of personal gear, lead feet) but what about the impact of, let's say, a 30' rig vs a 40' rig. This never seems to be any topics focus. I appreciate that I would much more comfortable in a 36'-40' rig (and I certainly will keep all these other facotrs in mind) but I still want to be aware of all the impacts of my decision. So if a 32' rig and a 38' rig are using similar propulsion options and all else being equal shouldn't there be a mileage difference for each of these? If the difference is truly negligible (which is the primary indication I have receive from salesman and other threads), then are we saying that the 30'-34' rigs are only around for those who are more comfortable manueving the smaller rig and for greater camping spot choices?

Sorry for the long iteration but I have a lot more questions and it will likely only get worse.
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #24

I just figure $.50 a mile and head out.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I just figure $.50 a mile and head out.
X2. A good figure that will not let you down.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #26

I have a diesel pusher, and have been satisfied with the mileage. Terrain is a big factor, wind, and whether or not you are running your generator or not. The biggest thing that helps me is to SLOW DOWN. Sixty mph is fast, and any faster it takes longer to stop. Keeping the rpm low will help, but the terrain is the biggest factor.
ardarbonnesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
I have been using a Scanguage D on my MH pretty much the entire time I have owned it. I have done the math every way you can do it and my 330 HP. Cat engine costs about .42 cents a mile to operate. Speeds between 62-68. Never tried anything much slower on a real trip. Now that diesel is over 4.00 a gallon I may need to slow down a bit to keep the costs at or near my target of .40 cents a mile. In the mpg equation, 8.7 to 9.5 mpg with no toad. I control my costs with my right foot. Wind, road conditions all add or subtract to the real costs but you can control that with your right foot. Want to get 10-12 mpg, go 55 and watch the world go by. Cost per mile is what you want to know and be concerned with. MPG is just a number when you are driving you home down the road. Good luck and seeya on the road.
Consider the time savings between 55mph and 65mph per 100 miles. I can go about 500 miles in a days driving if I'm desperate. That is about 9 hours at 55 and 7 1/2 hours at 65. The less miles the less savings. What makes that hour and a half worth the extra fuel cost, white knuckles and bored HPs? JMHO...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If you have a computer it is easy to set up a spreadsheet that will figure all that out for you.

Miles driven in A1 divided by Gal used in A2 = Average in A3
A1/A2 results in A3

I have one that has keep track of all the fuel/miles put in/on my MH since I bought it in 2002.

Average 10.223 MPG
Cost per mile 0.240¢
Cost per Gal. $2.451

If your computer doesn't have a Office program. Download a Free one here.
I am using a computer program called "RoadTripHD" on my iPad. It will track fuel, mileage, maintenance, repair, payments and just about any other item related to your vehicle(s). It will make your eyes bug out so I suggest caution if you're seeking the truth...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1349518897.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	36042  

Tags
fuel