Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The 04 ISB is way before DEF and is a 5.9 in a much lighter coach.
That generation 5.9 always had a reputation for great fuel economy. At least it did in the Dodge truck world.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2013 Discovery 40G has a 380hp ISC and we towed a 4000lb Jeep last year. Our overall fuel economy was 8 .6 mpg over 7,000 miles calculated from fill ups and mileage. This included freeway driving, idling, generator use and the fact that I don't baby it on the freeways. We usually drive 65 to 68 where allowed. We just upgraded to a heavier toad this spring and our mileage may vary.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
A 38 ft DP with a 340 Cummins pulling a 4,400 pound toad and averaging 10.5 MPG?

Absolutely no way.

Rich & Linda
Yes way... I have a SportsCoach 385 DS with the ISB 340. We see 10.5 mpg hand calculated pulling a Chevy Cruz, 4 down... I drive 65 - 70... If I slowed the MPG would go up. Pulling a Chevy Tahoe (5400 lbs) we see 9.5 to 10 mpg, hand calculated.

This is running up and down the east coast... we are not traversing The Rockies or even any 5k foot inclines.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #60

Fuel Economy of your Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
I had heard that we should get about 10-12 mpg with no toad.

I would guess that "10-12" comment came from sales or a mfg brochure. My previous rig was SUPPOSED to get 13.2 but I got about 11 with load and toad on a 20K FRED chassis. The "claim" of mpg is as tested, best conditions, dead-empty, no load, flat ground.

Just wanted to relate my "claim vs reality" opinion. YMMV

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #61

Why are people so quick to say "You're lying" when others share their fuel mileage?

Is it that people are not understanding newer, more fuel efficient diesel engines?

Is it that people are not willing to listen to other members because their higher powered, heavier coaches get 8 mpg?

Is it that people refuse to see that technology has changed in the past 20 years equating to higher efficiency?

We have seen enough newer ISB powered 30k lb coaches getting 10+ mpg that it is plausible that these figures are accurate.

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #62

Mitch, I run that across the board. Haven't taken my rig to the scales. Those GY 670's call for 125 psi cold. I had a friend who drives fleet trucks tell me to just run 120 in em and that was good enough for me. A lot of this is all new to me and I try and pick up good suggestions and ideas from the pros who know a lot more than I probably will...I try to balance out my equipment and gear that I carry and hope that works.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #63

Gee, that didn't take long!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Gee, that didn't take long!

K. Confused. S'plain?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The 04 ISB is way before DEF and is a 5.9 in a much lighter coach.
I believe when we tow our combined is right at 30,000 lbs. We have a friend with a nice 45 foot Patriot. He gets 5 mpg. I love the look and size of the coach but would never pay for anything that used that much fuel. It would take the fun out of it.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #66
HHg

10-12mpg.......highly unlikely. You are getting pretty darn good mileage with the numbers you shared. I've put about 7250 miles on my Tiffin and am getting 9.4 mpg (via the computer) which is better than I had anticipated.

Hhg
Old 05-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
DP.......I believe that stands for the Mileage....Darn Poor...!
Well as I have said before not bad considering the weight being moved.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Well as I have said before not bad considering the weight being moved.

Bill

True. Diesel cost about 13% more and is about 15% more efficient, so if rigs weigh the same the cost per mile is about equal, even though gas mpg is slightly lower.

Its close to a wash on a pound for pound basis, folks!

Dave and Nola - RVM1

Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
This was my maiden voyage in our new Thor Tuscany 40EX this past week. We drove 1000 miles back from Knoxville, TN over the course of 3 days. We were in no rush, we did not pull a toad, we had not used the Gen underway and we didn't restrict our use of dash air, we used it as we needed.

We started with a full tank and then topped off twice. Over the course of 1050 miles, we averaged 9.49 miles per gallon. I was thinking this was about average or even a little low. I had heard that we should get about 10-12 mpg with no toad.

We traveled at 62 mph most of the way, on cruise control a lot of the time. The Cummins ISB 360 hp engine performed well, we sailed up inclines without a strain or slowdown. We have an "exhaust brake" switch on the dash which I used frequently on the down slopes and found it to handle easily anything I encountered.

Over the entire trip we used about 1/4 tank if DEF. I am ordering more from Amazon so I carry a spare. Seems like a pain to fill up at a truck stop.

My question is; What is your mileage when you travel? Do you tow? Do you use your Gen underway? How fast do you go?

Here's the BIG question... What can we do to improve mileage? Do these fuel enhancers work? any other voodoo we can perform to boost economy? What about those $600 "chips" or programs, do they work or do they hurt the engine/transmission? Void warranty? Waste money?

All newbie questions, I realize but just wanted to get a benchmark and see what everyone else is doing.

Thanks!
Mitch
Recently made a trip to the Keys and back to Atlanta. 2013 coach, CAT scale said 41,000 lbs. no DEF (MF10) and pulling a Honda Accord. Did not run generator and ran Aqua Hot on electric only. Manual calculation came to 10.4 MPG for the trip. I'm very happy.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgs View Post
Recently made a trip to the Keys and back to Atlanta. 2013 coach, CAT scale said 41,000 lbs. no DEF (MF10) and pulling a Honda Accord. Did not run generator and ran Aqua Hot on electric only. Manual calculation came to 10.4 MPG for the trip. I'm very happy.

If Key West, about 1600 miles R/T on a flat run, about 153 gallons. That can flex if the fill is slightly off level, but is pretty good either way. How is it in hills and grades?

Dave and Nola - RVM1

Tags
fuel, motorhome