Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

fuel filler hose cost?

Took Mh to local RV shop to get the fuel filler hose replaced. F53 Chassis, 1997 Dolphin. Charge for 4 feet of hose was $147.00. That is 36.75 a foot. Near as I can tell from looking on line just now that is about twice the cost it should have been. Don't know what the ID was but even at 2 inches that still seems high. Suspect the ID is about 1 and 1/2 inches at the most. Any other opinions or actual cost experience? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

If they doubled their part cost that's about normal for RV specialty shops.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced mine myself. Order some Buckeye Belliowsflex online. Goodyear sells it I believe. Confirm the inside diameter from the writing on the existing one and measure the length. Add s few inches to be safe. A creeper and a couple of clamps is all it takes. I did it in about an hour on my 96 F53.

You could try to locate another high quality fuel grade hose locally but they tend to be much less flexible than the Belliowsflex which can make it hard to work with. I know from experience...tried it and the turn into the tank was too tough to make. The Bellowsflex worked much better.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

This hose was just cut off from a roll of it for the length he wanted. If he doubled the price for that I will try another shop next time. If a do your selfer can do it in an hour, which is what I estimated it would take, than 3 hours seems excessive as well. He is making money all around. I had been under there, one clamp each end, both accessible, but since we needed the refrigerator recall done decided to take to a place that could do both. At $90.00 hour labor rate and allowed up $80.00 for the house I expected two hours at the most hence a total of $260.00, not $446.00.

The refrig. recall was no cost to me.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I paid $1.48/inch for 40" at the Freightliner Factory Service Center in Gafney. I think its a 2" filler hose. That's about $18/foot, so yeah, they "hosed" you. Not unusual for RV shop prices.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Sounds like you were charged an hour for labor and the rest for the hose and clamps? If so, reasonable.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

I was charged $270 dollars for labor and 140.00 for the hose. They used the same clamps because there was red paint on them and it is still there. With one hour labor being $90.00 are you saying the hose was $320.00. You have got to be yanking my chain or you misread my post.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #8

Just out of curiosity what prevented you from tackleing the change. Most shops will charge the basic one hr. fee even if the job took less time. If their labor rate was $80 an hour that means the hose cost and hose clamps were $67 or $17 a foot ?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Fighter,
From your first post I merely assumed you were charged for the entire job. Sorry you got screwed without even being kissed. And, I never yank anyone's chain on purpose.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

I'll be 80 years old this summer so getting around under a MH isn't exactly easy for me. I have lots of tools and in the past have done a lot of my own work on the previous 4 Class As I owned. I have just run out of steam and since I needed to go to the shop for the refrig. recall decided to let them do the hose change as well. This is a small town, and the shop specializes in RVs. Doesn't sell them just works on them but it was my first experience with the shop, and my last. I'll take it to a nearby city for any further work. My fault for not getting an estimate and cost of hose. He said he had hose in stock, I should have asked cost? My son-in-law and I have two old boats with old 3208NA cats so am aware of some costs, such as hoses and cost for a mechanic. His $90.00, posted on the door, was ok with me, but the length of time to change the hose and cost of the hose blew me away.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel for your position. Next time, if there is a next time, and, of you have the time, don't hesitate to ask the question here first. We'll try to make sure you have the right information to protect you. There is a lot of collective knowledge and experience on here that is also recent and may help keep some of those Benjamin's in your pocket!

Happy and safe travels!!

Jeff
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

Thanks, Jeff. I got in to big a hurry. I usually do my home work on such issues. After the fact this time, but I'll know better next time. The other shops in this town where I take my truck and car are pretty straight but live and learn. Thanks for your help. FP

Tags
fuel