Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuel filler mod help

Basically, I have to move the fuel filler. Right now it's almost in the middle of the back cap. Why Coachmen decided to put it there and not on the side like many of the others I have seen is beyoned me. It's a real pain in the neck to fuel this thing up. It seems like you literally have to run over the pump islands to get close enough. My wife and I dread the fill ups. I'll have to get some pictures but does anyone think it's possible for me to relocate the filler to the side of the cap? I would have to get a new neck housing but I should be able to reuse the exisitng filler neck. Hopefully it's open back there and all that would be left is figuring out how to connect it all.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It should be possible if you have access in the back cap. Make sure you don't lower the new fill much lower than it is presently, perhaps it's in that location to make sure fuel flows into the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:35 AM   #3

Maybe they thought center location was a good idea so it could be accessed from either side when pulling up to the islands. Gas pumps set up for cars tend to have a shorter hose where as if you use stations that have a truck island they have longer hoses whether gas or diesel.

2014 Berkshire 390RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It should be possible if you have access in the back cap. Make sure you don't lower the new fill much lower than it is presently, perhaps it's in that location to make sure fuel flows into the tank.
Didn't have time to get pictures last night but crawled under there to look. Wish I hadn't. Fuel tank is above the rear axle and there is a metal pipe that must be 7 feet long from the tank to the back cap. It goes right down the middle of the coach. Then it has a rubber hose that goes up and off to the drivers side a bit to the filler neck. In theory I should be able to get a new neck mount and hose to connect to that metal pipe. I just have a problem putting a 3 inch hole in the side of the back cap, I can do it, I just can't believe that I should have to do something like this.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Maybe they thought center location was a good idea so it could be accessed from either side when pulling up to the islands. Gas pumps set up for cars tend to have a shorter hose where as if you use stations that have a truck island they have longer hoses whether gas or diesel.
In theory your correct. It's offset just enough that it's best accessed from the drivers side but you may be able to get it from the passenger side. We tried once and it was a no go. Truck islands don't have gas, only diesel, unless I missed something somewhere. Getting close enough to the island without doing any damage is tough. That's why we thought we could buy a few inches or feet if we moved the filler to the side.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got pictures.

This is where the neck attaches to the back cap

This is where the filler neck attaches to the pipes off the tank. Should be able to redirect the attachment to the side with new hose.

This is looking up the inside of the back cap on the drivers side. White spot is where I took out a running light to get an idea of where the new filler might go. Won't replace the light, will need a new hole, no bigger than 4 inches.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I wonder if you could leave that filler in it's location and use a 'Y' connector to add a second fill neck on the side or in the corner where you want? If you do a Google search for gas fuel neck you can find many replacement filler necks and variations.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wonder if you could leave that filler in it's location and use a 'Y' connector to add a second fill neck on the side or in the corner where you want? If you do a Google search for gas fuel neck you can find many replacement filler necks and variations.
Had crossed my mind but was worried about too many fittings resulting in too many opportunities for a leak. Maybe there is a replacement neck to tank hose that is a Y instead of straight. Then I'd have to get another neck, hose and coupler to connect it all together.

Tags
fuel