Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Fuel filter confusion

I have an ISB 300 5.9 in a 05 Holiday Rambler Neptune. Was planning on changing the fuel filters for the first time as being the new owner. Here is where the confusion comes in. In the Manual on one page it lists the filter numbers for the primary and secondary, on another page it lists the numbers again but different. Thirdly, the filters that are on there now are different also. Only one is a proper cross reference and it has switched (primary not secondary) If someone could share some light on which is which and what numbers that would be great. As it stands right now the primary is less microns than the secondary, which from my understanding is incorrect. Also in the book it show both primary and secondary with water separators?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
probably a generic manual
get the numbers off both filters- go buy the same, get some diesel in a can, remove one, fill new with diesel, repeat for the other- fire her up, check for leaks- you will be fine.
I was nervous as hell on my first change out.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

I did that but the problem is from my understanding the secondary filter should be a lower micron than the primary which it is not? As it stands right now the primary is FS19596 and the secondary is FF2203
Old 10-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
It can be a lower micron- how is it running?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminman View Post
I did that but the problem is from my understanding the secondary filter should be a lower micron than the primary which it is not? As it stands right now the primary is FS19596 and the secondary is FF2203
The primary filter is the first filter between the tank and the fuel transfer/lift pump....thus primary; the secondary filter receives the fuel from the transfer/lift pump before it goes into the fuel injection pump....thus secondary. The primary filter acts as a water separator. May or may not have wiring to it. Hope that helps.

I think in another thread someone told you to call the Cummins help line with your engine serial number; or, to call Freightliner help line with your chassis number to get the numbers for the correct filters. They should be able to clear up the water separator issue for you also.

[Edit] : Cummins Customer service: 1-(800)343-7357; Freightliner help line: 1-(800)-385-4357; Holiday Rambler Parts, Service, Tech Support 1-(877)-466-6226
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
It can be a lower micron- how is it running?
It seems to be running fine. So the secondary can be lower?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Can be, but not a wise thing, inmy estimation.

Also, "primary" and "secondary" can be misleading. The engine manuacturer tends to call "primary" the filter on the engine (his perspective), while everyone else sayas "primary" is closest to the fuel tank (the one that does the first pass at filtering). In general, the filter nearest the tank does the water sepration and has a fairly coarse (higher micron) filter, while the one closest to the injector pump is finer. If you use a fine filter as the first one, it can clog easily and starve the injector pump for fuel. Since the injector is cooled and lubricated by the fuel that passes through it, that's not a great idea. However, the secondary filter near the pump can clog too, so the net effect may be about the same.

Some coaches only have one filter/separator - Cummins and Cat both approved single filter fuel systems from about 2003 thru early 2005. Then they went back to mandating 2 stage filtering to keep their warranty in force.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #8

Thanks for that informative reply Gary. I am assuming the one with the water separator and sensor is the primary but maybe they mixed them up. I will have to check to see which is which. Is it common to have water separators on both? In the manual the first pictures show both and they have water separator on each filter. The primary is S3201P and the secondary is FS1022. Further in the book the Prime is still S3201P and the second is FS19596.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jaminman"....Monaco parts is still in business. Give them a call with your coach number. They may be able to tell you what filter is correct. Even though it's a Cummins motor, often, especially on Monaco's, they installed their own remote filters and decided what filters to use.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As to the question of two water separators - our '04 Monaco product has two.. The question is "Is there a 2 wire plug going to each?" If so, it certainly won't hurt to have 2 and cost is only a couple bucks more...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

OK here is an update and I would really appreciate some help here. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE from what Monaco informed me and what Cummins says.

Monaco says: The primary filter is a Racor S3201P as a primary filter. The problem is its not a water separator, only a spin-on? There secondary filter is a Fleetguard FS-19596 a 7 micron water separator/wif?

Cummins says: Primary is a Fleetguard FS-19596 (same as secondary from Monaco) 7 microns. The secondary is FF-9547-01 which is also a 7 micron. Both primary and secondary are the same microns?

What I have on there is primary: FS-19596 and for the secondary FF2203 which states on the filter it is a 140 micron (not a spelling mistake). HELP want to change these and make sure it is right.

From what I can understand is the primary should be bigger microns and the secondary should be around 2 microns? Neither these come close? Thanks once again, Peter

Tags
fuel