Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Fuel filtering RVs versus boats

On our boats we use two filters before the on engine filter. Usually a 25 micron, down to a 10 micron than on to the engine 2 micron. What do they do on the diesel RVs? Cummins in particular.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Engine filter only. Although I run Amsoil and have two additional filters for that. I change engine filter annually and Amsoil oil filters approx 85,000 miles.
I have oil tested annually. I have not changed my oil for over 80,000 miles. And still getting good reports from oil analysis.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
On our boats we use two filters before the on engine filter. Usually a 25 micron, down to a 10 micron than on to the engine 2 micron. What do they do on the diesel RVs? Cummins in particular.
They use a single 10 micron Fuel filter, water separator.

The boats may use separate water separator then fuel filter like many of the big trucks.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Diesel Motorhomes,if they are built right,use one primary fuelfilter/waterseparator of 30 micron or 10 micron and then a secondary fuel
filter of 2 micron at the engine or remote.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot View Post
Engine filter only. Although I run Amsoil and have two additional filters for that. I change engine filter annually and Amsoil oil filters approx 85,000 miles.
I have oil tested annually. I have not changed my oil for over 80,000 miles. And still getting good reports from oil analysis.
WOW....80,000 Miles??? I use Dello.....19 quarts once a year. My yearly change is April/May. It is stored indoor dry storage/cement floor during the winter. Last year we only put 2000 miles on it. Any idea where I would get an oil analysis? I know of no oil brand that recommends that many miles or going past one year on their oil products.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can get an oil test kit at a Cat repair facility. The kit will.cost you about $20
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr

WOW....80,000 Miles??? I use Dello.....19 quarts once a year. My yearly change is April/May. It is stored indoor dry storage/cement floor during the winter. Last year we only put 2000 miles on it. Any idea where I would get an oil analysis? I know of no oil brand that recommends that many miles or going past one year on their oil products.
Here is a oil testing service:

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

I believe the OP is talking about Fuel Filters and not oil filters given the title of his post.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I believe the OP is talking about Fuel Filters and not oil filters given the title of his post.
He (csrrsr) asked where he could get an oil analyst so I thought he wanted a oil sample test kit
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

My bad, it is meant to be fuel filtering. Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2000 Cummins ISB has a single filter, 20-25 micron depending on who you ask. Newer Cummins engines with the High Pressure Common Rail fuel system need cleaner fuel and use two filters, the 2nd is 2-3 microns.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #12

My previous 1994 mh with a Cummins 5.9 with mechanical injection had two fuel filters. A 30 micron with a water separator then a 10 micron on the motor. The one on the motor comes from CAT or Cummins or whoever makes the diesel. The water separator/primary fuel filter is installed by who makes the mh. So therefore the type of primary or if there was a primary does not have a thing to do with the diesel manufacture but the whim of the mh manufacture
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #13

I plan on installing a Racor in addition to the factory filter, just haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #14

If anyone is considering adding or changing out the primary filter/water separator then you should consider the RACOR 700 Series. I replaced my old Racor unit with it. The 700 Series has a built in priming pump that will fill the whole fuel system if changing the filters or if you ran out of fuel. Comes with a little control panel with a push button switch for the priming pump. It also has a water in fuel sensor that hooks directly into the Monaco cable so the dash warning light works. The cost around $260 but is well worth it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Racor Fuel Filter and Water Separator Unit.pdf (535.8 KB, 35 views)

Tags
fuel, rvs