Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Fuel filters

Does a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40 foot with cat engine have 2 fuel filters.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Yes there are two filters.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarthol View Post
Does a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40 foot with cat engine have 2 fuel filters.
I have a 2003 Dutch Star, Spartan Chassis with a 350 Cummins and mine has ONE fuel filter. I did not understand how unusual that is,, but it only has one! I change it more often because there is only one. David
Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't bet on it. Both Cat & Cummins authorized installation with a single combined water separator & filter during the 2003-2004 time frame, and both Spartan and Freightliner did so for awhile. By early 2005 Cat & Cummins both decided that the single filter idea was a poor one and changed their spec back to requiring two (primary & secondary).

Your best bet is to call Spartan with your chassis VIN and ask them how they built it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel filters

My 2003 KSDP with cat 330 has 1 combination fuel filter/water separator. Works good so far. Freightliner XP chassis.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

My 2003 Allegro Bus has only one.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Freight liner with 330 cat fuel isues

I have a 2002 Winnebago 39q with cat 330 and have had a couple fuel filter issues. The single filter will only last about 5,000 miles before restricting flow as it is a 5 micron mesh and plugs. I found that unless my fuel tank was nearly full I would loose prime when changing filters. Spent 2 days at Walmart parking lot 2 years ago experimenting on a restart method. Freightliner and Winnebago people were of no help,wanted to tow to Tucson and look at it.

Do this before the problem. Get a spare fuel cap and a metal valve stem ,drill the center of the cap to take the valve stem, tighten to an air tight condition. Keep 2 vice grip pliers to pinch inlet and outlet fuel hoses off. Before removing fuel filter clamp both inlet and outlet hoses shut so the fuel cannot run back to tank if low on fuel.

Remove filter and replace with a new one filled with fuel , if motor does not keep running the prime has been lost.

Install the modified fuel cap, pinch the vent hose on back of fuel tank shut, inflate tank with battery air compressor till 25 lbs plus will hold. Break fuel fitting on outlet till fuel runs out, close fitting , may take a few tries at starting till air pocket is fourced past injectors. This engine has no bleeder . Ether can be used if the air heater box is not energizing due to higher air temps.

Fuel has to be fourced past the injector pump as the lift pump will not pull from the tank.

An electric booster pump could also be installed I guess. I added a pre filter to take the big stuff out prior to fuel getting to 5 micron filter. A filter that is larger like 10microns would not plug but will wear out injectors. all filters must seal completely or the engine will suck air and loose prime.

Hope this helps , many have this problem I have found out. Winnebago should have had to recall all these cat powered rvs. Cat usually installs a final filter and hand pump on the engine but Winnebago deleted it to save a buck I guess.

Other than the filter problem my Cat 330 has run without a hickup for 60k so far.

Thomas Hilburn
Dehaven727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel