Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel Filters

This has bothered me for several years but I have never asked. On both my last coach which was Cat powered and now on my Cummins the fuel filters come with a roughly 1 inch O ring in the package. I have yet to see any old one on my coaches or any place to use it. Are there coaches that use more than the the large rubber gasket on the top of the filter to seal them? I have been throwing away the O ring for years but my curiosity is starting to get the best of me.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

The fitting I screw the filter on has a small o-ring around it. When I change filters I remove the old o-ring and install the new one. Are you leaving the original o-ring on and using the same o-ring with the new filters?

Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Have not done the filters on my Cummins yet but on my Cat I don't think anyone had changed the filters before I purchased it and there was no O-ring on the posts. I suppose it could have fallen off when I removed the filters. I will be looking more closely when changing this time.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Always , always replace the thread seal 'O' ring as it seals the filter face threads, outlet , from the fuel inlet, the outside holes, on the fuel filter. Without the ring in place fuel can by-pass the filter, by flowing down the theads and then back up the outlet tube.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Skip426;905915]Always , always replace the thread seal 'O' ring as it seals the filter face threads, outlet , from the fuel inlet, the outside holes, on the fuel filter. Without the ring in place fuel can by-pass the filter, by flowing down the theads and then back up the outlet tube.[/QUOTE

I assumed as much that is why I asked but now I know for sure.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Same coach and yr model. I just changed mine. Be careful to not drop the new o-ring when you put it on. Mine was not real tight. Just one note on the secondary fuel filter in the right area behind the engine. I had to remove the filter and mount, hold it in a vice and use a pipe wrench to break the filter loose. The factory paint had it stuck hard. A normal strap wrench with a breaker bar would not budge it. The replacement will come off the next time though.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Same coach and yr model. I just changed mine. Be careful to not drop the new o-ring when you put it on. Mine was not real tight. Just one note on the secondary fuel filter in the right area behind the engine. I had to remove the filter and mount, hold it in a vice and use a pipe wrench to break the filter loose. The factory paint had it stuck hard. A normal strap wrench with a breaker bar would not budge it. The replacement will come off the next time though.
I have an old filter wrench that uses a chain that is about half again to twice the diameter of a bicycle chain. If I don't rip the bracket off I suspect it will do the job.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
I have an old filter wrench that uses a chain that is about half again to twice the diameter of a bicycle chain. If I don't rip the bracket off I suspect it will do the job.
That should do the trick. Brute force and ignorance works for me. My wimpy metal strap wrench would have come apart.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That should do the trick. Brute force and ignorance works for me. My wimpy metal strap wrench would have come apart.
Well the ignorance part should not be a problem but the old body just won't apply as much brute force as it used to .
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
We no longer 't need "brute foce"..............we now have "leverage".............ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
"Leverage" That's where I offer to buy you a beer and you come over and remove it for me.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
YC1

I had a two foot pipe over my strap wrench and the filter would not budge. When I put the bracket in the vice my two foot pipe wrench too some severe body weight to break it loose. The next time it will come off with the strap wrench.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Always , always replace the thread seal 'O' ring as it seals the filter face threads, outlet , from the fuel inlet, the outside holes, on the fuel filter. Without the ring in place fuel can by-pass the filter, by flowing down the theads and then back up the outlet tube.
OK , I'll take a step back here before somebody steps on my toes
I just changed the two fuel filter on my MH tody. The primary fuel /water separator had the o ring in the package, and it got installed at the top of the threads. The secondary fuel filter had no o ring in the package. On close examination I found the difference. The primary filter mount tube threads went all the way to the bottom of the mount. The secondary ( original Cat ) filter mount has 1/2" of machined surface below the threads, in the top of the filter, mounted below the threads is an o ring to seal to that surface. So not all filters will have a o ring loose in the package , but if there is one in the package it needs to be installed.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
"Leverage" That's where I offer to buy you a beer and you come over and remove it for me.
I pass by your town on my way south in Nov. can you wait till then ? Will the beer be cold ?

Tags
fuel