Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuel Filters - Me Too!

I have a '98 Dolphin with a 7.4L Chevy engine. Do I have 2 filters? We just checked a large FF about midship under the MH and it was ok. Is there another one? I'm having a little engine struggling while accelerating. I have new plugs, wires, Fuel Press. Reg., and new injectors.

Thanks

zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

John, I don't want to steal this thread but in all the gasoline motors I have seen there is only one inline gas filter and no water separator. What do you mean by struggling. Is it missing? Have you checked the ignition timing and have you done a compression test? If you don't have a Check Engine Light then all the sensors and emission controls are good to go.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #3

You say you checked the fuel filter and its OK. How did you check and confirm its OK? I did not know a fuel filter could be inspected.
When was the fuel filter replaced?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
You say you checked the fuel filter and its OK. How did you check and confirm its OK? I did not know a fuel filter could be inspected.
When was the fuel filter replaced?
The mechanic who did the recent work blew some air thru it and thought it was ok. It is probably original equipment.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
John, I don't want to steal this thread but in all the gasoline motors I have seen there is only one inline gas filter and no water separator. What do you mean by struggling. Is it missing? Have you checked the ignition timing and have you done a compression test? If you don't have a Check Engine Light then all the sensors and emission controls are good to go.
I replied to another thread but it turned out to be a diesel issue and they moved my reply to a new thread.

It is not missing, just seems like it is working real hard to get up to speed. Haven't checked the timing nor a compression test. No CEL on.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Sounds like it is starving for fuel. If the fuel filter is the original unit, it is definitely time to replace it.
Your engine needs correct fuel pressure when its under load, and the very first place to look is the fuel filter. It should be replaced as a routine maintenance item as recommended by GM or when it gets clogged.
CarlGeo
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

1 must remember with modern day gas engines, fuel is constantly being circulated back to the tank. It may have run through a fuel filter dozens or more times prior to getting sued by the engine. While filters do seem to last a long time, they are filtering many many gallons of fuel as compared to the old carbureted engines.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Change that filter - it's way overdue anyway and who knows, it may well solve the problem. Your symptoms are consistent with fuel starvation and that's a relatively cheap and easy cure to apply. You can always get into more exotic problems later if the filter doesn't do the trick.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Put in a new filter today but it's raining so I have not had a chance to get it out of storage and give it a run.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the filter has solved the problem. Took it for a drive today onto the freeway and around the local area and the acceleration was much better.

Thanks all.