Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Fuel Lift Pump Inoperative

I have a National RV 2002 Tradewinds LTC. It is on a Freightliner chassis and has a 350 ISP Cummins engine. The coach has been in storage for several months. When I went to start it the engine would turn over but not start. I determined that the fuel lift punp was not running. Normally this pump runs at all times when the ignition is on (engine running or not). I have searched the coach over for a fuel pump fuse or solenoid and can not find either. If there is a fuse, where is it and if there is a solenoid where is it. I did remove the coach batterys and recharge them fully prior to this restart. In past starts to run the engine periodically while in storage every thing worked. As of this point I have not determined that there is power to the pump. I always check the fuse and other items first.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #2

Looks like a first post, welcome to IRV2!

I'm assuming that it is either ISC (8.3) or possibly the ISL (8.9) engine, as I don't recognize the ISP? In this year, this should be a CAPS vs just a few years newer VGT engine.

If it was working just before taking out the batteries. You might try disconnecting the negative and waiting a bit, then reconnect and see if this might 'reset' things. Simple to do, and who knows...

Another thing to look for is some chassis have an inline fuel filter that is easy to miss, inline prior to the lift pump. If that has been missed, it could be clogged and starving you for fuel.

And my favorite other easy thing to look at, that I did about two years ago, is make sure you have not hit the emergency shut off switch in the engine bay. The engine will turnover, but not start. (I hit mine when I was leaning in the back door with a flashlight getting the fan belt part number. Took me an hour of sweating bullets before I thought about looking at that switch... I had bumped it.)

Other then that, follow the wires to Lift Pump, and disconnect and connect them, to see if it might clean up some gunk build up preventing full current.

And, I hope someone else with your coach or chassis, can help you with the fuse location, I would guest back in fuse box close to where the main rear power off switch is - but admit I don't know if your chassis has the same layout as mine.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you find out,
Smitty

Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

It is ISC, a typo on my part. I spent 2 hours looking for the fuse. No luck. Contacted Freightliner, but they referred me back to Cummins. I will try the battery disconnect. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwell5 View Post
I have a National RV 2002 Tradewinds LTC. It is on a Freightliner chassis and has a 350 ISP Cummins engine. The coach has been in storage for several months. When I went to start it the engine would turn over but not start. I determined that the fuel lift punp was not running. Normally this pump runs at all times when the ignition is on (engine running or not). I have searched the coach over for a fuel pump fuse or solenoid and can not find either. If there is a fuse, where is it and if there is a solenoid where is it. I did remove the coach batterys and recharge them fully prior to this restart. In past starts to run the engine periodically while in storage every thing worked. As of this point I have not determined that there is power to the pump. I always check the fuse and other items first.
The lift pump is mounted on the curb side of the ISC almost directly above the starter motor. They were prone to failure due to the change in diesel fuel a few years back which affected the seals on the older models. The lift pump only runs for 30 - 60 seconds when you turn on the ignition key to prime the main fuel pump. You should be able to hear it running when the key is first turned on. I am not sure where the fuse is as my coach is on a Country Coach chassis as opposed to Freightliner.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel