Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
43' towing 4 dr jeep sahara total down the road about 44K lbs...52K miles driving 58-60 MPH at 1700 RPM and avg 7.0 MPG (can't seperate out the diesel fueled generator and aqua hot). A lot more to see driving the country than sailing on open wate!!

2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #16

I've tracked every gallon that has gone into my Journey since I bought it. It has averaged 7.8 mpg over the 34K miles I have driven it. Mountnains, valleys, into winds, away from winds. The 7.8 is not adjusted for the fuel used by the diesel generator so actual overall mpg would be a bit higher.
Safe Travels

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
From sea to land

Welcome to the site,Sailormon, we sold our 42' trawler last year and bought a 38' diesel Sportscoach. Our coach has the 275 HP Cummins ISB motor and in the flat land of Florida we average 11.5 MPG at 60 to 63 MPH. Most newer coaches have much more horsepower and much less MPG. Last summer on a 5000 mile trip to northern Minnesota and back we averaged 9.9 MPG at 68 MPH and including mountain driving. With the lower horsepower motor if we start up a long grade below 65 MPH we are crawling slowly at the top of the grade, but at 68, we drop to 50 to 55 MPH at the top. Test drive a lot of coaches and ask a lot of questions before you buy; in general Cummins parts are cheaper but both Caterpillar and Cummins make good motors. There are Freightliner chassis service centers all over the US and their help hot line is very good; they will help with any question you have. Good luck on what ever you choose, and yes, you will miss the boat! DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
Contrary to what has been said, you will be doing great if get 7 to 8 mpg if you drive 60 mph or more. I have a 40' 1997 Beaver Marquis with a 425 hp Cat, pulling a Ford Explorer. The Torque peaks on my engine at 1250 rpm but I must do about 1450 rpm to get into 6th gear and that relates to 55 mph. Milage with this situation gives me 9.5 mpg.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We average 7.5 to 8.5 in signature coach. MH GW is 34,600, toad is 3,200.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Thanks Larry for the philosophy, but marina fuel fees are outweighing road taxes. I get an average of 1 mpg on the Viking at 19-20 knots and pay on average of 4 bucks per gal here and 5 in Bahamas, and am looking forward to a little better economy. I've been hearing wild tales that they can get up to 20mpg. Mother Goose is everywhere!
sailorm0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Based on what I get with my 350 CAT, I would guess anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5 depending on the coach, how fast you drive and what you pull. There may be a 20 mpg motorhome in the future, but I don't think it's here yet and when it gets here it's probaly not going to be a 45' Class A. However, don't overlook the bigger rig with the bigger motors, they sometimes get a good of, or ever better, mileage than the smaller rigs. Sounds like anything over 1 mpg will be an improvement over what you're getting now - you just won't be able to take it into as deep of water. Happy hunting for your rig.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #22
Fairy tales can come true.......

Sailormon, the 20mpg stories are about the small motorhomes built on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis, they get 17 to 20 mpg. If you can live with the small size and limited storrage capacity they are a real breakthrough in fuel economy. Winnebago has tried using various small Renault and Volkswagen diesels over the years but they were never big sellers. When you push the weight envelope with 4 slide outs, 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer, icemaker, 4 door household refrigerator, and lots of storrage compartments full of stuff it takes a lot of horses to move it down the road. As you shop, watch the available weight capacity for passengers and the things you will bring along; many 40' coaches do not have the capacity needed to bring much with you. That is why the newer coaches are 42' and have tag axles to increase capacity. Many 38' coaches do have adaquate capacity so check the weight panels out in each one you look at. Happy hunting. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Originally Posted by sailorm0n View Post
I am selling my Viking Motor Yacht and am contemplating the purchase of a used motorhome, class A diesel pusher. I am looking at a variety of brands, possibly a Monaco with a Cummins or Caterpillar, length of 37-45 feet. Can anyone tell me about what the fuel mileage I could expect?
have a 09 36' Tiffin allegro red dp ..
cummins ISB 6.7 340hp/660 lbtq
fully loaded..100 diesel-90 water weighs in @ 27,100# (i do not tow)
when new it got 7-8 mpg
now with 34,000 miles on the odo it gets anywhere from 10.5-11.1 mpg
on flat terrain like Florida driving on I75 Allagator Alley, Naples to Ft. Lauderdale light wind condition the average miles gallon shown on electronic display 11.5
i drive the coach 62-65 mph with the tach reading 1600-1650 rpm (max torque)
hills and windy condition it still will get better then 10 mpg

peter d
elainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My average this summer was 9.5. Cummins 300, 6 spd allison. Flat in Ontario and hilly in the east. Have done as good as 11, and as low as 8. No toad(yet)
JCBBOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #25
Only go diesel and only go with a pre emmissions diesel '07 and earlier with no exhaust treatment; but good luck in finding one;we rushed to look at a Barth with a Cummins-we were number six and it sold to the first couple who looked at it for full asking price.

Used diesel A's/super C's seem to be selling at a premium, at least in our area.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #26
I usually average in the upper 9's traveling btwn Alaska and Florida with my 2010 Damon Outlaw diesel. I try to keep the tach in the sweet spot btwn 15 and 17...can maintain 65 mph on the flat lands at those RPMs. I leave the gas models in my dust going up the Rockies in western US and BC!

I met a person with a 40', 2 year old gas Bounder who told me he got 17+ mph or better. We were parked next to each other for the next 2 days and I didn't believe another word he said. Tell the truth people!!!!
Vicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #27
I just learned one thing with mpg on my diesel truck pulling a 14,700 5th 23,500 GVW. At 60 mph I get around 12 mpg. At 65 I get around 10 mpg. At 70 I get around 9mpg. Big difference in a few mph. I guess it really depends on what motor and what brand MH you buy and your driving habits. As others said above I'd expect around 8 mpg average.

My last gasser MH got 6 mpg no matter what so no more gassers for me.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
I think everyone agrees that weather, terrain, load and drive train will determine your MPG. What I don't subscribe to is "I average between X mpg and X mpg." An average is one number, not two. I don't think you have a good picture of your milage with a couple of tanks of fuel since weather, terrain and load will change with just about every trip. IMO, your true average fuel milage must be calculated over the entire time of your ownership. That could be years and thousands of miles over a wide range of operating conditions.

Now having said that, my average fuel milage is not really important to me. I know the most efficient operating point of my drive train and that is where I keep it. That's the best I can do so I don't get concerned about it. I do have instant and trip mpg with my SilverLeaf monitoring system but i don't make any adjustments, to my driving method, based on what is indicated.

Jim E

Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote