Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Freebird....how would upgrading your injectors improve MPG? They just want your money. You need set amount of fuel in order to have the correct Air Fuel Ratio for the best economy for the weight of your MH at the speed you are going down the road. Your factory installed injectors provide more than enough fuel for that. In racing we only install larger injectors if we have made the engine more powerful and it is only for wide open throttle runs. You don't run at wide open throttle and you have not modified your motor to make more power. Here is something else to think about......it takes X amount of HP to move the weight of your MH down the road at 62 MPH. That amount of HP requires a set amount of fuel which is called Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC). Even if you doubled your HP at wide open throttle you are still going to be back at the same HP and fuel consumption to move that weight down the road at that speed. Your injectors are just fine. Save your money.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainee View Post
have a 09 36' Tiffin allegro red dp ..
cummins ISB 6.7 340hp/660 lbtq
i drive the coach 62-65 mph with the tach reading 1600-1650 rpm (max torque)
hills and windy condition it still will get better then 10 mpg
I think you meant 1600 rpm is the minimum RPM where the torque starts not the max where it stops.
That engine has a governed Speed of 2,800 RPM. And will give it's max toque from 1600 up to the 2000 range.

My ISB 275 HP 5.9L 660 + Torque has averaged 10.238 MPG over 50,205 miles. Every gal on a spreadsheet.

Not even one time has it ever made it into the 11 MPG range.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #73

Injector Upgrade

Mike, you surprise me. I said upgrade, not enlarge. I don't know what type of racing or race prep you do, but surely you know the value of efficient fuel delivery, or otherwise all one would need would be a garden hose for fuel aimed down the intake manifold. The atomization of the fuel matters whether it is an SI or CI engine. There are companies that successfully 'blueprint' and modify diesel injectors, with claimed improvement in both horsepower and economy. Please limit responses to experience, not speculation. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #74

Does it really matter what your MPG is? And not all class A owners can afford them. I live paycheck to paycheck trying to afford my class A. But after having a truck camper for a few years and going into a class A there's no regret. P.S, my 2008 dodge DWR 6.7 Cummins truck with camper got the same MPG as my 2010 class A. Happy camping
Old 12-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Freebirdbus, they are still a rip off in upgrading, or blueprinting or whatever you want to call it unless the injectors are dirty and have a bad spray pattern then they just need cleaning or replacing. You don't think that companies like Cummins or Cat or Detroit don't spend $$$$$ investigating what injectors work best on their motors to produce the best MPG and the best power. I have a ton of experience working with mechanical and electronic injectors. I tune fuel systems which includes all types of injection systems on professional 2500-3200 hp drag racing cars so I guess I have experience and am not speculating. I also have a close friend who is an engineer for a major diesel motor manufacturing company R&D lab. If you don't want somebody to make a comment on what you post then I would highly question why you made the post.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #76

MPG?

[moderator edit]
Unless you have data from a CI injector upgrade, you are just speculating. Mapping a 'fuel dump' on a SI engine to the point of fuel still burning out the exhaust and melting pistons has no relation to my request. [moderator edit]
My post is a request to learn from others real experiences.
Please leave it at that.
Thank you.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #77

freebird, in Mikes defense I also took 'upgrade' to mean larger as your post mentioned both fuel efficiency and performance. Some 'claim' that the various chips being sold can do both but while this -may- in fact be the case I can assure you that any mpg gain will be very modest and while performance changes can be very significant it is is this area that one will always incur the most liability, more hp, more torque mean less longevity, this cannot be intelligently disputed.

Slow down for better mpg, or install an aux transmission and perhaps try 'premium' diesel or use cetane booster for a better running engine.

By the way, how do you check miles per gallon?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR John View Post
Like to hear more on the fuel mileage on the maxxforce in the Serrano
I have the serrano 31x a 2011. Love the chassis as we had an 04 adventurer 33ft with the big gasser that got 6mi per gal. The serrano gets 12.5 mpg which tickles me because it doubles the gasser. Its real noisy when its cold but really quiets down when it warms up. Its quieter at highway speed than the gasser was. My new motto is 60mph and I'm sticking to it.
As far as the rest of the coach goes the quality is in the pits.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #79

Injectors

All,
Copied here is an example of claims made by one injector rebuild service:

"THE REASON WHY I REBUILD INJECTORS INSTEAD OF SELLING NEW INJECTORS IS THAT NEW INJECTORS WILL LOSE 200-300 PSI OF OPENING PRESSURE WITHIN THE FIRST COUPLE THOUSAND MILES OR FIRST COUPLE HUNDRED HOURS OF OPERATION DUE TO THE INJECTOR SPRINGS BREAKING IN. THE INJECTOR SPRINGS DO NOT ALL BREAK IN EVENLY, SO YOU GET A PRESSURE VARIANCE FROM INJECTOR TO INJECTOR. REBUILT INJECTORS STAY AT THE PRESSURE THEY ARE SET AT BECAUSE THE SPRINGS ARE ALREADY BROKEN IN. I ALSO MAKE OTHER MODIFICATIONS TO THESE INJECTORS THAT RESULT IN A LOT LESS STRESS BEING PUT ON THE INJECTION PUMP. THESE INJECTORS WILL ALSO INJECT FUEL INTO THE CYLINDERS QUICKER THAN STOCK INJECTORS. ON ENGINES THAT ARE RUN UNDER A PARTIAL LOAD, A FUEL ECONOMY INCREASE CAN BE REALIZED WITH THESE PERFORMANCE INJECTORS INSTALLED."

This service claims numerous happy motorhome owners as clients, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using blue-printed injectors.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #80

MPG

Rough Road,
I keep a vehicle log of date, vendor, gallons pumped, price per gallon, total cost, current chassis mileage reading, and net miles. I use seasonal or yearly totals to determine mpg. I do not attempt to deduct for diesel generator use or make hasty conclusions on one or a few tanks burned.
I hope that this answers your question.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #81

9.4 MPG

Ran Interstate 5 over the Grapevine 2000 UA Winn 40J 300hp cat pulling a Dodge Dakota 4 wheel drive 4 door, 9.4 MPG the UA40 has basement air I don't know how much this helps with the air flow but could help a little.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #82

freebird, if you are able; fill up yourself to a steady visible level in the neck drive a few hundred miles and fill up again in the same manner, the resulting mpg will be 100% accurate for the conditions traveled on and during.

As for the shop claiming to have the testing facilities to perfectly measure and match injector spring performance get new injectors and be done with it.

Which by the way leads me to another question, do any of you Cat (or other) boys/girls have the heui system? and if so, how are things working out-fuel milege and reliability wise??

Tags
fuel