Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #1

Fuel overflows when filling

I had a strange thing happen and need some advice. Last week I began filling my fuel tank up and it started to flow out as if it was full, but it was not. I then went to the other side because it can be filled from either and all was fine. Filled it to the full mark. Any ideas. The first side only took $8.00 when it overflowed and the other side took $100.00?
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the coach is not level then this will happen if you try to fill from the "Low" side.. The solution, as you discovered, is to tilt the RV away from the pump (OR fill from the high side)

The reason for this is that the run to the fuel tank is fairly flat, so its easy to back up in the filler tube.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Reluctant to comment because you didnt mention anything about what type of rig you have but it sounds like the return vent tube on one side has collapsed or is otherwise plugged. Sometimes the tilt of the rig while at the pump will cause a temp backflow of fuel but if you are on level ground and one side is working fine--then check the vent tube on the spilling side......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

I have a 2005 Neptune with ISB 5.9. Yes the ground was perfectly level. When you say "tilt" which way? So the fuel hole is higher? What should i do, will i be OK with the other side am planning a trip?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
If the coach is not level then this will happen if you try to fill from the "Low" side.. The solution, as you discovered, is to tilt the RV away from the pump (OR fill from the high side)

The reason for this is that the run to the fuel tank is fairly flat, so its easy to back up in the filler tube.

I agree! I discovered this the hard way! I had removed the fuel cap on the opposite side to try to get as much fuel in as possible. I was pumping fuel in one side and out the other! Now I always level before starting to fuel!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

Mine will over flow, both sides level or not, when getting near full. So, I listen for it. Works fairly well if I pay close attention.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes it can be the angle you put the nozzle in at. I've had them "over flow" a couple times when I parked the coach too far back from the pump and had the nozzle pointing to the side because the hose wouldn't reach.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

If I fill too fast from either side, fuel will spit out. I now fill at a slower rate and no more issues, if fact, there is less foam.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

[QUOTE=dvmweb;2319411]Mine will over flow, both sides level or not, when getting near full. So, I listen for it. Works fairly well if I pay close attention.

Mine was 3/4 full when I started to fill. So when getting full you ease off from the flow rate to stop it from overflowing? The other side i used seemed to have no problems at all, that is the confusing part.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

Fuel overflows when filling

jaminman,
I bet the fill tubes descend at different angles. The one that back flushes might be a more shallow, nearly level angle.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Mine does the same thing, if I fill it too fast it will act like it is full and stop filling. I have to stop and let it fill slowly. Probably the fill tube not allowing the air to release and backs up both thinking it is full. Go slower and give it time.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

Thanks everybody for all your input and opinions, feel a lot more at ease now. Never had this happen before and it is good to know that others have the same experience and it is "no big deal".

Tags
fuel