Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Fuel pressure 97 Tropical

I'll try and make this short. Have a 97 Trop. 454 vortec. Sat for about 2 years. I went to take it out again and it started just fine. While I was flushing the water tanks, I let it idle and it ran out of gas. Put 25 gallons in and wouldn't start. Changed the fuel filter 3 times now it will start but when you go to excelerate it stalls out. Fuel pressure is only about 10 psi at the engine, running or not. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and tried pumping out the fuel so I could drop the tank and no fuel would come out with the key on. Also I know that the fuel line from the tank to the generator has a split in it. Would this be a fuel pump issue or ? Any help would be would be very appreciated.
Moneypit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypit11 View Post
I'll try and make this short. Have a 97 Trop. 454 vortec. Sat for about 2 years. I went to take it out again and it started just fine. While I was flushing the water tanks, I let it idle and it ran out of gas. Put 25 gallons in and wouldn't start. Changed the fuel filter 3 times now it will start but when you go to excelerate it stalls out. Fuel pressure is only about 10 psi at the engine, running or not. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and tried pumping out the fuel so I could drop the tank and no fuel would come out with the key on. Also I know that the fuel line from the tank to the generator has a split in it. Would this be a fuel pump issue or ? Any help would be would be very appreciated.
Fuel pump will only run for approx 15sec after ignition turned on unless the motor starts.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

Sorry ' forgot something sounds like the pump ingested something. Were the filters totally plugged? If so the tank has to be pulled to clean it.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

Thanks Skip, The inline filter was not plugged. Question, If I disconnect the fuel line on the tank side of the filter and blew compressed air back to the tank could that possibly clear the debri? There seems to be 4 nuts (2 on each end of the tank) and 2 straps that hold the tank in place, must all of the nuts have to be removed?
Moneypit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

IF the tank ran dry, it is even money that the fuel pump sucked up some gook from near the bottom of the tank. Might have to remove to clean it, or even replace it. Before I did that, I would try some low pressure air (20 psi?) on the fuel line back into the tank to see if it busted anything loose. It's a long shot and probably won't work, but any chance to avoid dropping the tank...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

In-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the gas they are sitting in. If you ran it out, there is a chance it damaged the pump.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Try the straps first, but I think all the bolts will have to come off. Don't forget the filler and vent hoses, tank may have to be part way down to access those.

Tags
fuel