Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #1

fuel problems:

Has anyone had to have their diesel fuel tank drained and cleaned do to algie in fuel? Having to change fuel filters often. I've tried using fuel conditioners ect. to try and solve problem, but not working, still having to change filters. Thanks for any feed back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #2

What specific problems are you having that cause you to change filters often?

Do you know for a fact that you have contamination?

If so, do you know for a fact that it is algae?

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

The first time we had to change filters-RV started missing and then came to stop and motor died. Set there for 15-20 min. tried to restart made it to camp ground @ reduced speed. Changed filters- poured out sea weed looking black slick gunk. Ran great with new filters all the way home, more power than 1st test drive. Web search seemed to point to algie in fuel tank. On line remedies put in tank refill with fresh diesel 200 miles later same cause and effect. Again change filters - black slick gunk - runs great with new filters. Tired of changing filters out on the road. looking at draining fuel tank flushing and start all over.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #4

Had this problem with a boat about 10 years ago. The fuel filters would keep pluging up causing the engine to die. A person at the dock told me he had the same problem a few years earlier and had his fuel conditioned. I contacted the same company he used, they came out and pumped out all my fuel about 100 gallons and ran it though a filtering system. They then cleaned out the tanks and fuel lines. The fuel was then pumped back in, less about 20 gallons. I think at the time it cost about 50 cents a gallon for the process.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

There are two kinds. The black kind grows on walls of the tank. The yellow kind floats in the fuel like snot. Either way you treat it with an algaecide available at most truck stops or truck parts houses. Have at least 4 filters on hand. The algaecide will kill it, the filters will catch it. Forget the tank ckeaning idea, and let the filters do the work. It will be a bunch cheaper, and you can do it yourself. Truck drivers get it all the time and nobody cleans their tank, to costly. Good idea to treat your tank regularly after that.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It sure sounds like you have Black Slime algae. Go to a Marine supply store and buy a bottle of Biobar JF and do the shock treatment as prescribed on the bottle then fill it to the top with fuel. It will kill it all in 24 hours. This is common in boats. It takes water in your tank to cause algae so you also need to put in an additive to get rid of the water. You will probably have to change just the primary fuel filter a couple times before it is all gone.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike and Mike have it right. I'd buy half dozen fuel filters. they won't go bad.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetguard make a micro biocide also
$160 for 1 pint
As per above you need a full tank for this to be able to touch all sides as the bug lives on the walks
As soon as you add bug killer it falls to the bottom and gets picked up by the fuel filters
Tip
Don't wait for the engine to stop
At the first sign of a miss or an engine stumble like gear box grabbing a lower gear, change the filter
Lift pump and more importantly injector pump servicing is very expensive.
In future always store your motorhome with full tanks with a dose of micro bioside and you won't be paying those pesky mechanics your hard earned cash
There is a recent thread about this with the above advice
Steve skinner
Old 11-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

I second the advice of Mike & Mike. While replacing filters is an inconvienence, you'll save a ton of money by simply killing the bacteria and letting the filters catch it.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Steve Skinner, are you sure about that Fleetguard price of $160 a pint. BIOBAR JF is only $12 a bottle.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #11

Everyone, thank you for the feed back and info. I have already treated the fuel with conditionners and BIO treatments. Still changing filters- primary, secondary,gen. I'm trying to keep this stuff from getting to engines. I'm new to all this- 1st DP I've ever delt with. I've always kept a full tank. I'm not sure if thats not part of my problem. I've never let the guage get past half a tank and always fill to top when parking after trip. I'm not sure that I ever got rid of the bad fuel just kept adding to it. Anyway- I'm hoping to drain the tank, flush as best I can, then re-fuel, add the BIOBOR JF(Jamestown Distributors) Star Tron fuel tank cleaner -two sets of filters onboard and head south after X-mass. Thanks again for all the feed back. David
Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I looked everywhere in the short time available for the Biobar product.
I was leaving Houston for Austin then leaving the coach in Dallas.
I was stumped so I resorted to Cummins and obviously got the product in a 24 carat container.
I had to have a biocide and it was all o could get.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Re comment about adding fuel from half a tank.
You nay not know that with a diesel engine that a substantial amount of fuel is returned to the tank whilst the engine is running so you are constantly cleaning the
fuel in the tank.
I wouldn't drain the tanks at all.
I suspect in s very short time they will clean themselves.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Steve if that MH spent a lot of time in Houston or close to the Gulf Coast then that explains the algae. Any marine Supply store sells it.

Daffy Duck, the secondary fuel filters are normally 10 micron and the primary are 30 micron. i hope with those type offilters it can never get through them to the engine. Whne I had the Black Slime in my previous Mh i cut open both the primary and secondary filters and I never found it on the secondary filter. One thing I have learned is that the actual Racor filters have Aqubloc II tecnoly in them and will not pass water. I always spen the few extra dollars and only use a Racor primary filter on my water separator unit.

Tags
fuel