Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #1

fuel pump easy access

I have read somewhere on this forum that it is possible to cut a 12X12 in. access hole under the rear bed in a 1996 Damon Moho in order to have quick access to the in tank fuel pump when it goes out (FordF-53 chassis) Instead of draining and removing tank.. I would like to do this except for one thing. I have no idea where the pump is located. Therefore I cannot start cutting holes in the floor until I find out exactly where to start cutting. Can anyone help as to where I should cut this hole in order to be right over the pump ?
Thanks
Don

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

I thought about doing the same thing. New pump now after breaking down on rte 81s in PA. not possible on my coach, black tank over fuel tank. (i think)

you can measure carefully and cut the hole if nothing is above your fuel tank. the hole in the tank is centered so with careful measuring you can find where the hole should be.

if you do your own work it may be a good idea just to drop the tank and put in a new pump. then forget it.

supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my pace, I can crawl under the MH and see the big ring at the center of the tank. Measure back to the ring, go to the side of the motorhome, line this up with the bedroom window. then go inside and measure the distance to the ring.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #4

Fuel pump help

We has a 1972 Chinook and can't get the fuel pump (located up by the engine) back in. Any ideas we need help. We have 413 motor in it.

Thanks
Olin (bravebear)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bravebear, two things I can think of is #1 Wrong pump. #2 You are on the high point of ecentric for pump. In that case turn engine one revolution.

Mike
Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did exactly that. After measuring (several times) I peeled back the carpet and cut away only to find the main heating duct in the way.... I then cut though the duct to find I was right over the fuel pump! It took all of twenty minutes to get the old pump out and replaced with the new one I ordered from Rock Auto. After changing out the three wire connector with the four wire connector (which I also had to buy) the engine fired right up. After repairing the heating duct, reattaching the "access door" and laying the carpet no one would know anything has been done... The worst part of the job was getting up the nerve to do it..... I should mention mine has the older style fuel fittings that only require a blade screwdriver to release the clips holding them on, the newer style requires a tool to release them.
Thanks to subford for his help with this "project".
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the help. We got it installed and she fired right up. We couldn't have done it with out your help.

Olin (bravebear)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:30 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravebear View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. We got it installed and she fired right up. We couldn't have done it with out your help.

Olin (bravebear)
So what did y'all end up doing, drop the tank or go through the floor? Glad to hear it's back on the road...
Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

I tried the "cut a hole in bedroom floor" method only to find a gray water tank directly above where the fuel pump would be on the gas tank. Grrrrr.......
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1961 View Post
I tried the "cut a hole in bedroom floor" method only to find a gray water tank directly above where the fuel pump would be on the gas tank. Grrrrr.......
Yeah, probably not a good idea to cut through the gray water tank...

Tags
fuel