Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fuel sending unit

I was wondering--my fuel gauge doesnt work--no big deal--figure I would have to replace the fuel sending unit to fix it. I was just going to keep up with the mileage instead. Then I began wondering--if the unit is old and bad enough to cause the fuel gauge to not work--should I replace the unit --is it gonna leave me stranded on the road/ Im becoming obsessed with having everything reliable for springtime. Im new to class A-but been a camper for many years, spend almost all my free time either reading about, or doing something to the 1996 Holiday Vacationer. Still cleaning/waxing. Wife says Im obsessed--shes right.--Any thoughts on the sending unit? Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

The sender unit could very well be causing the trouble or possibly a bad wire connection to it. Check to see if voltage is getting to the sender before you replace it. I don't see how a bad sender could cause you any real trouble and leave stranded somewhere, other than running out of fuel. I would find and fix the trouble if it was me doing this.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
96 sending unit

Quite a few years ago, I had a 96 HR Ford. I got it at Lazy Days. I was having a problem with the vehicle stalling. I went back to L/D and they told me that although Ford would not tell me that they were having a problem with the unit, they would fix it. I checked with Ford and they wouldn't acknowledge that they had a problem. L/D set me up with a Ford Garage near Ocala. I went there and they had the m/h for about a day and they fixed (replaced)it. They billed Ford for it and there was no problem. They told me that they usually were doing about 1-2 Fords of different models every week with the same problem.

So, maybe you can deal with a garage who can help you with the problem and have Ford fix it.
Here's hoping!! Good luck.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

I had the same problem with my '00 Dip. Mine used a Centroid unit. The hardest thing is pumping tank. My sending unit is located on bottom passenger side of tank and is accessible through the storage compartment via a round inspection plate.
CENTROID PRODUCTS
racer478r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel