Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Fuel spill when filling.

Twice recently when filling up with diesel I’ve had the nozzle come out and spray diesel until the nozzle hits the ground, making a heck of a mess. In 14 years I never had this happen with my previous Dynasty and I cannot tell any difference between the fuel door on it and my “new” Navigator.

Decided to add a blade for a reciprocating saw to the bottom of the fuel door to give it more traction. Getting the second hole in the hardened blade took starting with a small drill bit first. Could not find my pop rivet set so used two screws. While I have not tried it out yet, its got to be better than the plastic I removed from the bottom of the opening...time will tell.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Twice recently when filling up with diesel I’ve had the nozzle come out and spray diesel until the nozzle hits the ground, making a heck of a mess. In 14 years I never had this happen with my previous Dynasty and I cannot tell any difference between it and my “new” Navigator.

Decided to add a blade for a resipercating saw to the bottom of the fuel door. While I have not tried it out yet its got to be better than the plastic I removed from the bottom of the opening...time will tell.

carry some Band-Aids
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Twice recently when filling up with diesel I’ve had the nozzle come out and spray diesel until the nozzle hits the ground, making a heck of a mess. In 14 years I never had this happen with my previous Dynasty and I cannot tell any difference between it and my “new” Navigator.

Decided to add a blade for a resipercating saw to the bottom of the fuel door. While I have not tried it out yet its got to be better than the plastic I removed from the bottom of the opening...time will tell.

It sounds like you are not holding on to the nozzle handle while fueling. If so, it's no wonder you're spraying fuel all over the place.
That saw blade is not going to play well with a flexible fuel hose.
I think you should reevaluate the way you fuel your coach. Everyone around you while you are fueling will appreciate some improvements in your procedures as will the station employees and the local fire department.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
It sounds like you are not holding on to the nozzle handle while fueling. If so, it's no wonder you're spraying fuel all over the place.
That saw blade is not going to play well with a flexible fuel hose.
I think you should reevaluate the way you fuel your coach. .
Thanks for your misguided concern...do you hold the nozzle when filling your car??? Guess you missed the part about not have this problem for 14 years with a similar MH. NO, I do not hold the nozzle while putting in 100+ gallons of fuel...I'm cleaning the windshield. I wish the hose would come in contact to the bottom of the door...the nozzle could not slide out. It's the metal bottom of the nozzle that sits on the door ledge, not the hose.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Think the metal part of the nozzle sits on the blade.....we were posting at the same time....lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I would create some sort of strap bungee with a hook apparatus that will hold the nozzle in place. It can kind of "hang" in place. Then you just wait for the auto shutoff and unhook and go.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Biggest problem using the bigger nozzles is the volume and pressure.......
Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I would create some sort of strap bungee with a hook apparatus that will hold the nozzle in place.
Thanks for a good idea and I may do that on the right side where there are hose fittings I could hook the bungee to with enough length so it would work with different size nozzles. On the left (where I usually fill) there is nothing to hook a bungee to, anywhere near the door. Clamping a bungee to the bottom of the 2" nipple would not give it much length to stretch, but might work. Thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad I could help if I did. Looking at your photo Ivy, is that the left side where you usually fill? I can't see for sure, but up in the top of the fueling compartment, is there a way to fasten/screw/rivet your own hook points there? Anything solid enough to fasten to?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #10

Wrap the bungee around the nozzle and if that compartment is metal, could you use a couple eye bolts...?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Biggest problem using the bigger nozzles is the volume and pressure.......
Wrap the bungee around the nozzle and if that compartment is metal, could you use a couple eye bolts
I have not fueled at a FlyingJ, Pilot, Loves in 8-9 years...ever since Pilot bought out FJ resulting in absurd prices. GasBuddy saves me on average $0.25/gallon by going a few blocks further from the interstate...X 100+ gallons adds up. The nozzles I'm having problems with are not the bigger ones as I cannot remember the last time I used a big one and definitely not with this MH.

About the only thing on the left side to fasten a bungee to is the square tubing under the floor 18" above the door so that would work if the saw blade does not.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've started opening the large basement door so I can get the fuel nozzle in all the way. I also add fuel supplement so it is easier with the door open.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #13

Exactly what I do.....Gas Buddy to the rescue!....
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

In Gillette WY, this fall Gas Buddy led us to a new station with three types diesel fuel, two levels of treatment and non treated. Non treated was 49 cents per gallon less than the Travel Centers 5 blocks away. Traveling through I90 in that area definitely worth scanning for prices first. Paying 25 or more is not worth it unless you have a good reason. I let the tank get down to around 50 gallons and then try to fill up at a better price but in a high volume location.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel