Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Fuel Stops

Afternoon fellow RVers: My wife and I are taking our first snowbird trip from central Ontario to San Antonio. We have already pre-booked campsites on our route . (Port Huron, Benton, Ill, Memphis, Tn etc).
My only fear is fuel stops. We have a 43ft DP with a toad. The various apps ive checked dont mention ease of access. I dont want to exit the highway and find out there are no accessible diesel pumps.
I have tried the Flying J/Pilot app but it doesnt work in Canada. RV Trip Wizard does not have enough info.
What do you guys do?
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Google the address and get layout
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Lots of truck stops along the way. Typically every 60-100 miles there are truck stops. I refuel at 1/2 tank. Truck stops are easy to refuel at.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #4

We do this as a 3 phase operation:

Use a planning package to determine where you might like a stop.
- This used to be Street Atlas, but now is Furkot an online app so you have to be careful as it may not be available when underway.
Use GasBuddy to locate stations because it does a better job than most and lists all stations. It can be set for Diesel and then only stations with show.
Last go to Google Earth at that location and look at the layout. If you need better, switch it to Street View and look in from the road.

It is rare that any station that has diesel can't accommodate a coach and towed.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Even in areas of the country where we've never travelled, you'll always see the large fuel signs towering over the freeway. The off ramps are also posted with signs that say anything from FUEL to even some that say DIESEL and RV friendly. I don't fuel at truck stops for a variety of reasons and have never found an issue with finding other fuel stops that I fit into easily (we're 65' long).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer truck stops. The ground ain't that clean, and I have to go inside and give a credit card and tell them how much to pre-charge (based on expected amount to fill). Their fuel price is usually higher than you might find farther off the road. But they always have enough room. I like Pilot/Flying J or TA, occasionally stop at a Petro.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a flying j just outside of port huron
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

Try ParkAdvisor app. It shows pilot and other truck stops as well and you can get map or earth view. It's the main app. I use to find a park and it does help on finding Pilots/FJ.

Like others mention lots of truck stops and you find them near most cities.

Tom
Old 10-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #9

I use Gasbuddy & Google maps. I don't hardly use truck stops any more. I'm also 65' long with my toad.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgott View Post
Afternoon fellow RVers: My wife and I are taking our first snowbird trip from central Ontario to San Antonio. We have already pre-booked campsites on our route . (Port Huron, Benton, Ill, Memphis, Tn etc).

My only fear is fuel stops. We have a 43ft DP with a toad. The various apps ive checked dont mention ease of access. I dont want to exit the highway and find out there are no accessible diesel pumps.

I have tried the Flying J/Pilot app but it doesnt work in Canada. RV Trip Wizard does not have enough info.

What do you guys do?

There are Both a Pilot and Flying J in Mt Vernon, Illinois on I-57/64, a Pilot before you get to Memphis on I-40 and. A Flying J after go pass through Memphis on I-40.

After you get to the US your Pilot/Flying J app should work. They just updated it yesterday so you should try it again once it is updated, there is no reason it shouldnt work in Canada.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on Gas Buddy and Google Maps
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

I have a few fuel finder apps on my phone and I also have a printed copy of "The Next Exit". I typically have many options to choose from.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgott View Post
...I have tried the Flying J/Pilot app but it doesnt work in Canada. RV Trip Wizard does not have enough info.
What do you guys do?
but the website and google earth do. look, you'll be good to go with just about any truck stop. we prefer Flying J for their RV lanes but since you're diesel you have the option of using the RV lanes or the truck lanes. we see diesel RVs in the truck lanes all the time. Flying J is the only chain that usually has RV lanes so if you prefer a different chain...Pilot, Loves, Petro, etc. plan on using the truck lanes. if you're unsure how to use the truck lanes...a legitimate question for someone who may never have done that or who hasn't done it in a long time...I'm sure someone here will be happy to detail that for you.

enjoy your trip and worry not.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
There are Both a Pilot and Flying J in Mt Vernon, Illinois on I-57/64, a Pilot before you get to Memphis on I-40 and. A Flying J after go pass through Memphis on I-40.

After you get to the US your Pilot/Flying J app should work. They just updated it yesterday so you should try it again once it is updated, there is no reason it shouldnt work in Canada.

All I get on their app is the intro page with a 360 view of a service centre.
markgott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel