Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Fuel stops for my gasser ..

We are heading to Ashville NC from SW Fla and will be taking Rt 75

I see a number of Pilots etc but do not know if they have an island for fueling

I have tried to google some stations but cant really determine if they have a gas lane for MH

Any help will be appreciated, my MH is a Tiffin 36LA ( 37')
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try using Gas Buddy or Truck Stops apps. Either one both will show gas availability along your route.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #3

Pilot and Flying J fuel stops do not all have designated gasoline pumps for RV units. Diesel rigs can fuel with the bog boys usually out back.

That said, I usually find these places have more space to pull in with my 35 foot rig and towing.

Just plan a little before pulling up to a particular pump.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

Allstays app, filter for Flying J, clicking on them will tell you if it has RV lanes can also look at sat photos in app.

Pilots usually don't have RV lanes, Flying J's do, same company. I use Flying J's as much as possible, they are spaced pretty well on interstate for RV fills. No problem all the way up 75 to NC and back.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

FlyingJ has a great app with "trip planner". Set starting and destination and it will route on map. Gives all FJ stops, instant prices ,exit #,miles to stop and much much more. Also the route is for a 80,000pound / 8ft 6in wide / 13ft 6in tall tractor trailer not a car.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

Pilot Website

If you are going to focus on Pilot/Flying J locations go to their website and use their find a location option or plan a trip option.
Select a filter that identifies stores that have RV lanes. These lanes will accommodate your RV and will have gas and diesel at the pump.

You can also download their app for mobile use with the filters and options.

Good Luck

Screenshots included:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 7.48.08 AM.png
Views:	125
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	157254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 7.48.51 AM.png
Views:	116
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	157255  

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #7

I've never worried about finding a station with lanes for a mh. I guess at 32' I fit most anywhere, as long as there is some space around the pumps. That said, it seems all stations I've seen that are truck stops always have plenty of room for longer gas mh's. Enjoy your trip!

You also might want to route around Atlanta too!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
I've never worried about finding a station with lanes for a mh. I guess at 32' I fit most anywhere, as long as there is some space around the pumps. That said, it seems all stations I've seen that are truck stops always have plenty of room for longer gas mh's. Enjoy your trip!

You also might want to route around Atlanta too!
RE: Atlanta We find that going through Atlanta is not that challenging if one plans in advance. We usually try a Sunday or weekday after the morning rush hour is over. We don't take the bypass, however. Safe travels - Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do not go through downtown Atlanta. Part of 85 collapsed because of fire.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

Thanks for all your replies, as I check out different aps it will say rv lanes when I check a site that has a rv lane that particular site then says diesel

Will keep plugging along any other ideas are welcome ( I guess I should have bought DP )
Old 04-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

Fueling

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332678

Edstep,
Take a look at this thread. It also has some suggestions on selecting stations with a 'Gasser'.

Don't let the thought of filling up with a gas RV cause you stress, or make you regret your choice of RV (You definitely have yourself a nice one as far as gas units go), just make sure the station you're eyeballing has enough space before you commit to pulling in, and then having some patience when you pull in and wait for a pump to open up can go a long ways. Lastly, don't wait until your tank is close to empty to fill up. I don't go much lower then below half a tank because to me it's just an added insurance that if for whatever reason a station doesn't work out then I still have plenty of fuel to give me plenty more options, plus, I'm always ready for a bathroom break and stretch long before I really need to fill up anyways, so making it part of a fuel stop works out.

You'll be fine - there's just a learning curve!
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
The Flying J in Brunswick Ga has a good RV lane on I95. I have used it several times as my RV has the filler port on the rear of a 35 ft Gulfstream.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:56 AM   #13

Wish they were all set up like that, we have been through there a number of times
Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #14

We are a gas 35' with a toad. I find that a lot of truck stops do not have very friendly gas pumps. The pumps are perpendicular to the building, meaning that you will have a very tight turn on the way in, out, or both.
Our usual routine is to pick an exit with more than one gas station, and scope them out well before turning in. One of them will generally either have the pumps set the other way, or have a side road next to them to make your exit easier.
I agree with someone's comment to start thinking about fuel before you are close to empty, that way you can always get back on the freeway and try again later.
partskenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas