RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did anyone look closely at the picture in post #16. The guy in the RV lane getting gas is in a pickup. No camper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
From the Pilot website: I think this link will take you straight there? https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locations/

From there it's downloadable and can be edited
I wish that site would have it setup where I could find only stations with RV Lanes.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I wish that site would have it setup where I could find only stations with RV Lanes.
Are you using the Pilot/Flying J phone app? It has the ability to filter out RV friendly stations.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190419-194558.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	242742Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190419-194616.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	242743
BZTS561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
I also use the RV Lane filter on the Pilot/Flying J app and have never had problems at a Flying J. They have very open lanes and good signage to get you to the right place.

Not as confident with RV lanes at a Pilot. I have stopped at 2 of them and one I didn't even try to fit in, the other I could get in, just a tight squeeze. I will not go to a Pilot RV lane now without checking Google Maps for a good view.

Still always keep my eye open for accessible stations as many have described above to get the best price.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We are moving up from a diesel Sprinter to a Tiffen Open Road 32SA, taking delivery next week. I'm curious as to issues people with larger gas coaches run into at fuel stops. Do you generally have issues with space and access, or are there some chains that have larger aisles and access for RV's? I have also been looking for an App that would show the layout of a station, but cant see to find one. I can just picture myself pulling in for fuel, toad attached, and end up with nowhere to go or no room to get out.

I second the Gas Buddy, MyPilot/Flying J apps. Flying J tends to have confusing choices at truck diesel fuel lanes. I got a truck driver to give a tutorial.
We have a Pilot/Flying J RV card that gives three cents off per gallon. Ask for it. Also, the MyPilot app has offers and freebies of the week.
As far as layout, just be very, very careful and slow to go forward. Often, I'll get out and walk it before I drive to verify.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We are moving up from a diesel Sprinter to a Tiffen Open Road 32SA, taking delivery next week. I'm curious as to issues people with larger gas coaches run into at fuel stops. Do you generally have issues with space and access, or are there some chains that have larger aisles and access for RV's? I have also been looking for an App that would show the layout of a station, but cant see to find one. I can just picture myself pulling in for fuel, toad attached, and end up with nowhere to go or no room to get out.
I routinely fuel my 38’ at Murphy USA at Walmart, usually find or wait for an end island pump which allows for easy in and out pulling my toad behind. If you have trouble maneuvering you need to go to a school parking lot on Sunday and practice driving between the parking spaces until you’re comfortable keeping it between the lines.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #35

Biggest problem I had with my gas coach was stopping it! You best be looking way down the road. YouTube has a video on how to best drive a gas coach.
sleeper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #36

When I fill my diesel coach, I almost always have a fuel spill due to the fuel spout being almost flat. Now I estimate how much fuel I think I'll take on and stop just prior to that. I never completely get full.
sleeper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #37

Yes, but....

But why would you put cheap gas in your RV? Flying J does not have Top Tier gas (go to toptiergas.com). So you'll save pennies at the pump, but may pay for it down the road. Buy quality fuel for your baby!

AND like many have said, plan ahead - decide where and when you'll stop for gas before you head out (and have a backup plan, and maybe another option that you have google mapped and checked out the overhead view of where your going - so you can see access and egress and have a plan). Then when all else fails, sometimes it is just easier to unhook the toad and go in without a tow.

Cheers,
sanderson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson99 View Post
But why would you put cheap gas in your RV? Flying J does not have Top Tier gas (go to toptiergas.com). So you'll save pennies at the pump, but may pay for it down the road. Buy quality fuel for your baby!
Cheers,

Totally agree. I think nearly all of the truck stop type stations sell bottom tier gas.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Fuel stops

My Pilot app is pretty good and most Flying J have Rv lanes that are pretty easy to get into. Only real problem has been when propane tank line fills up and blocks gas/diesel.

Loves are pretty good for gas. Seems like the outside pumps are pretty easy to get in and out of. TA is another good spot in many areas
jubilee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #40

We use Flying J most of the time due to the rv lanes and rv parking. The my pilot app will help find them. And remember it's the Flying J's not Pilot. They're stations are the same as all the others. We did find that a lot of Marathon stations have pumps parallel to the road. So we also have the Marathon app. We also try to look at them in Google maps before we stop. It all requires some planning, but it's been a long time since we got stuck.
bird6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I downloaded the Android app, but all I see are some videos and how to apply for a job.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson99 View Post

The Flying J in Cheyenne, WY has Conoco gas, and I'm pretty sure the FJ's in Rock Springs and Casper do as well. No sure about others.

I only use top tier gas but have never had a problem at Exxon and other stations around interstate exits. All have been easy in/out and 20' seems to be the standard canopy height.

Tags
fuel, gas, motorhome, motorhomes