Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
We are moving up from a diesel Sprinter to a Tiffen Open Road 32SA, taking delivery next week. I'm curious as to issues people with larger gas coaches run into at fuel stops. Do you generally have issues with space and access, or are there some chains that have larger aisles and access for RV's? I have also been looking for an App that would show the layout of a station, but cant see to find one. I can just picture myself pulling in for fuel, toad attached, and end up with nowhere to go or no room to get out.

What's the big deal ? Drive up.....look around.......if you get scared, go somewhere else.

I don't see the (perceived) problem.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #44

I would mark in a old school atlas the gas stations I could fit it, so if I traveled that road again I new where I could or couldn’t fit.

Seemed like half the time I couldn’t fit into the gas station. Either roof over pumps was to low or just not enough room, had a 38+ ft Bounder pulling a wrangler unlimited
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You might find this video useful

travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson99 View Post
But why would you put cheap gas in your RV? Flying J does not have Top Tier gas (go to toptiergas.com). So you'll save pennies at the pump, but may pay for it down the road. Buy quality fuel for your baby!

AND like many have said, plan ahead - decide where and when you'll stop for gas before you head out (and have a backup plan, and maybe another option that you have google mapped and checked out the overhead view of where your going - so you can see access and egress and have a plan). Then when all else fails, sometimes it is just easier to unhook the toad and go in without a tow.

Cheers,
This. I don't understand the infatuation with Pilot/FJ. Only time I ever had a fuel pump problem was with Pilot gas. I try to only use Top Tier gas.
And as vsheetz said, I am looking at my exit strategy more than entrance. It's usually obvious if you can get to the pumps.

Gas buddy and Goggle maps Sat and Street view are what I use.
Many times we will leave the RV park unhooked and hook up at the gas station after gassing up.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #47

Fueling up

We love our 2018 Tiffin 32SA!!! One thing that I wish was different is where they put the gas fill. Which is the very back, driver's side. This makes selecting the best pump tricky and many times you have to play the waiting game just to get in there to fill up. Patience is a must.
RJcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:14 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZTS561 View Post
Are you using the Pilot/Flying J phone app? It has the ability to filter out RV friendly stations.Attachment 242742Attachment 242743
I have the app on my iphone, but it doesn't do a thing with RVs. Everything is Diesel. It doesn't even address gas. Mine appears to be a completely different app than what you are showing. And, mine is at the current update level - 5.1.13 downloaded a couple of days ago.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I have the app on my iphone, but it doesn't do a thing with RVs. Everything is Diesel. It doesn't even address gas. Mine appears to be a completely different app than what you are showing. And, mine is at the current update level - 5.1.13 downloaded a couple of days ago.
jt
That is interesting. My version has filters/choices for “RVFriendly” and fuel choice (UNLD) and”RV fuel lanes. You can also mark favorites and filter by restaurant. Slick app
jubilee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:13 AM   #50

We use Flying J on the road. With the $.05 discount they're usually competitive with other places on the interstates. We have a local gas station with good pricing near our home that I can get through easily, so we try not to leave the neighborhood without a full tank unless we know we can get back home without filling.

The end pump is easily accessible in many stations, and stations on a corner often allow us to almost drive straight through without negotiating the erratic parkers in front of the building.

When traveling we try not to miss a good opportunity. If I see a good station that's easily accessible and I know a full tank will get me home from there, I'll sometimes go ahead and top off.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #51

Sam's Club For Fuel Stops

I stop almost exclusively at Sam's Club for fuel. I'm driving a Newmar Baystar gasser now but my previous coach was a Fleetwood diesel pusher. I've never had trouble getting in or out and the price is always the best in the area. Plus I get 5%(not 5cents) off at all fuel stops with their credit card. If the fuel truck can get in you can too. I often stay the night at Sam's and fuel up early in the morning as I leave.
ghunnicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #52

I have a 32SA and when towing a Ford Fiesta I found it handier than I’d expected in gas station with pumps perpendicular to the building. I didn’t need as much room as I’d expected. Note too that some stations with perpendicular pumps have a lot more room than others between pump and building. I haven’t towed my new Explorer yet, it might make things a little more clumsy.

Google Earth street view will often take you right into gas stations and you can swivel around and get a good idea of the room you’d have there.

In my idle time I use Google Earth to look at gas stations on likely or interesting travel routes. I take screen shots of good stations and save them in a folder.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
What's the big deal ? Drive up.....look around.......if you get scared, go somewhere else.

I don't see the (perceived) problem.
It's not quite that simple. If you're pulling a trailer or toad you can't just make a quick U turn to find another station.
woodyxb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #54

I own a Vista Class A 32' gas motorhome. I have traveled all over the U.S. the last 7 years. Only a few times have I had a difficult time getting gas. I find the easiest stations to be Love's, Pilot's, Flying J's or Maveric's truck stops. Depending on what part of the country you are traveling. These usually have easy access to the pumps unless they are very busy. I try to not let my gas get so low that it forces me to stop at a station where gaining access is difficult. As you approach the station make sure to look at the location of the pumps and try to get an outside pump if possible. Make sure you have adequate space to turn when leaving the pump to exit. I pull a car which stops me from backing up therefore , I must make sure when I pull in to a station, that I can go forward to get out. If you feel a station is too difficult to inter or exit, " pass it up".
I do at times regret having purchase a "gas" motorhome. They are not as good of a ride as a the diesel pusher. Ruff roads will beat you up. Gas motorhomes are cheaper to maintain but you sacrifice comfort. Best of Luck to you in your travels. Be safe.
mikemacc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #55

I am an experience RV'er. I am aware of all the issues you have addressed in your video. It is excellent for those newbies. Thanks for making it.
mikemacc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:34 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
I have the app. I also have a Pilot/Flying J gas card and so have an account and login. So what would happen to me is it would automatically log me in as if I was a professional driver. I have an Allegro (F53 gas chassis). Getting logged in like I was, I couldn't filter for RV station attributes. I finally figured out I had to enter the app as a Guest and then select RV as my vehicle. At that point I had full access to the RV related filters.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, motorhome, motorhomes