Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
Hopefully you've got the problem solved by now but the exact same thing happened to me and a Cummins shop owner helped me do a temporary fix so I could get it to his shop.

The only problem is that my Freightliner has the old B5.9 mechanical Cummins and no doubt there's a BIG difference in the fuel solenoid setup on your rig.

Indeed, as suggested above, my fuel solenoid was right below the injector pump. I was told to feel for a lever that would move up and down and when I did, tie it off so that it would stay in the up position. I found it, tied it off and the engine started right up. Made it to the Cummins shop in Sequin, Texas, and was on the road again in no time.

Now I know what to look for when a perfectly good-running Cummins decides it doesn't want to start even though it cranks just fine.

Good luck with yours.....
Volunteer, got my MH back today from Cummins service center. It turned out to be dead ECM [engine computer module] that is brains of the engine and tells the lift pump to start pumping. It was replaced w/ new, $2K with labor, but all was under warranty. Interesting note, when it is replaced it is like a new hard drive in your computer and has no data in the program. Cummins get some data from Freightliner, just enough to run engine [type transmission, drive wheel ratio, etc.]. So I got mine back w/ no cruise control operation. I will have to get Freightliner to load all data or provide data for Cummins to load [Cummins will do at no charge, but probably not FL]. So, another trip 90 miles north to get this done, but no tow this time. CoachNet covered 100% of the tow which was great.
Thanks for your interest

Outer Banks NC
2005 Allegro Bus 38 ft.
2004 Acura MDX toad
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Question please.

We have a 1997 National Dolphin RV 36' with a Ford 460 engine.

We live full time in our RV, thus have not driven it for awhile. My husband is faithful to start it up, but it got below tank of fuel and will not start.

From what he has put together thus far, it seems he might need to reset the fuel pump shut off switch. But he cannot locate it.

We don't have the proper manuals and such that might have these type schematics.

Thank you in advance should anyone know the answer.

HomeFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote