Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Fuel system shut off switch

I have 2005 Allegro Bus 38TGP. Does anyone know if there is a fuel shut off switch for this coach, and where it might be? Is there a fuse, relay or solenoid for the fuel system? If so, where might it be? Engine is Cummins 400ISL. Engine won't start and I need to troubleshoot fuel/pump system so that I can travel this week.

yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What chassis are you on?

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #3

Mike, I have a Freightliner chassis. I am pretty sure that I have a fuel flow problem upstream of the fuel filter and fuel/water separator that have been replaced and filled to the brim w/ fresh diesel fuel to aid in priming. I get no tell tale smoke or odor at the tailpipe as I crank. I don't know if I have a Cummins problem, engine pump, or a Freightliner problem, transfer pump, problem.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Replied to your PM. You are going to have to prime it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliners do not have a fuel cut-off as far as I know. Never heard of one, anyway. Cycle the ignition key on 20-30 seconds, then off and on again, without starting the coach. Do this several times to prime the lines and filters. If you need to verify fuel flow, you could disconnect the outlet hose on the secondary filter to see if fuel flows out when you cycle the key like that.

I suppose it is possible you have blown a fuse for the lift pump, which ought to be in the chassis fuse box somewhere.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your are trying to trouble shoot a no start problem on a Cimmins engine and you don't know where the fuel solenoid is You need help from a profesional. What Is the lead up to this problem. Did you change the filters and it wouldn't start after. Did it set for a long period of time. Did you turn it off and it won't restart. these things are important to know.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Freightliners do not have a fuel cut-off as far as I know. Never heard of one, anyway. Cycle the ignition key on 20-30 seconds, then off and on again, without starting the coach. Do this several times to prime the lines and filters. If you need to verify fuel flow, you could disconnect the outlet hose on the secondary filter to see if fuel flows out when you cycle the key like that.

I suppose it is possible you have blown a fuse for the lift pump, which ought to be in the chassis fuse box somewhere.
Gary, you said "secondary filter". Did you mean inatead the fuel/water separator? I only know of the 2 devices, fuel filter and separator. Is there another filter on this engine?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The water separator is a fuel filter too and it is the primary. There will be another filter after it that is exclusively a fuel filter with a very fine porosity, maybe 2 micron. That is the secondary.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #9

I dont own a ILS400,but I imagine that it should have an fuel shut-off mounted near the diesel injector pump.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dont own a ILS400,but I imagine that it should have an fuel shut-off mounted near the diesel injector pump.
My ISL does not. There is, however, a chassis battery disconnect that shuts down the electric fuel lift pump as well as everything else electric on the engine and chassis.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
My ISL does not. There is, however, a chassis battery disconnect that shuts down the electric fuel lift pump as well as everything else electric on the engine and chassis.

If that is the case how does the ISL 400 engine stop when you want it too.
It seems to me the you must have a positive cut-off of the fuel being delivered to the high pressure pump when you place the ignition sw.to the off position.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #12

The injectors are electronic, basically ultra-high test 3000psi solenoids. All the ECM needs to do is quit signaling injection.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There definitely is a fuel supply solenoid but it is activated by the ignition on switch. The lift pump comes on with the ignition on and I think the injector pump as well. But that's not what I call an fuel cut-off switch. There is probably a fuse for the power supply to that solenoid, though.

As E-Mike says, the engine slows or stops when the ECM slows or stops signaling the injectors to inject fuel.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #14

Yudamann

Hopefully you've got the problem solved by now but the exact same thing happened to me and a Cummins shop owner helped me do a temporary fix so I could get it to his shop.

The only problem is that my Freightliner has the old B5.9 mechanical Cummins and no doubt there's a BIG difference in the fuel solenoid setup on your rig.

Indeed, as suggested above, my fuel solenoid was right below the injector pump. I was told to feel for a lever that would move up and down and when I did, tie it off so that it would stay in the up position. I found it, tied it off and the engine started right up. Made it to the Cummins shop in Sequin, Texas, and was on the road again in no time.

Now I know what to look for when a perfectly good-running Cummins decides it doesn't want to start even though it cranks just fine.

Good luck with yours.....