Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fuel Tank Leaks

We have a 2006 Endeavor with a separating weld at the drain plug, diesel tank. Does anyone have directions on removing the tank for repairs. Thank you all in advance.

Duane Dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Empty tank.
1.) Remove all plumbing to and from tank.
2.) Disconnect wires.
3.) Unbolt straps and supports holding tank in place.
4.) When it falls free, you've got it out.
5.) Flush and clean tank, weld seam, and replace tank.

I don't know how detailed you want instructions, it's not done often enough by most shade tree mechanics to be more specific.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had a fuel tank leaking on a Chevy pickup. Drained the tank and patched it with JB weld, it was still holding when I sold the truck. Also patched an air ride manifold on my Travel Supreme wth JB Weld that had air pressure of 125 PSI that was still holding 10 years later when I sold the MH.

It's worth a try before dropping the tank..if it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I had the same thing happen to our 07 Knight. The panel on the driver side is hinged, it is the panel with the fill door. remove a couple of screws and it can be opened. After diconecting all the fuel lines and wiring to the gage you can slide it out the side. I think I had to cut a little metal on the outside rail to slide it out. Its heavy and best if you have 3 or 4 people to help. the hardest part was diconecting the main fuel line in the middle of the tank on top, its hard to reach.
bborc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are not comfortable doing the repair your self you can drain the fuel out drop the tank and take it to a good radiator shop.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the weld is not separated where the drain plug screws in and is basically just a crack in the tank I would not take it off and have it fixed. Most auto repair shops sell epoxy repair kits. Make sure to get the one for diesel tanks. Empty the tank out and let it dry. Sand the tank to rough it up and then apply the epoxy. I have a plastic tank on my tractor. It got a small hole in it and I got the epoxy repair kit for it. That has been 4 years ago and it is still not leaking. I don't think you drive your MH over as rough a surfaces as I do my tractor.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
As brobox and Gemini5362 mention, get a tube of the JBWeld or Water Weld or similar product that is resistant to fuel oils - that stuff really does work. On my 00 F250 SuperDuty diesel while driving one day the fuel tank straps had rusted enough that the fuel cell tipped out of the bottom and dragged it at 55mph for about a minute. This created a hole in the corner of the plastic tank flat thus emptying almost 30 gallons of diesel all over the highway. I cleaned it real well and dried it up using brake cleaner and applied a product called Water Weld. Im talking a hole the size of a half dollar piece in the very bottom corner. Within 4 hours that was hard enough to add 5 gal of fuel from a can and to this day it has never leaked - not even seeping around that area. I would have never believed it myself, but it honestly does work. I have since used it on a 55 gallon drum that had 3/8" holes drilled on the bottom to prevent liquid retention. I wanted to use the drum to collect used oil. Placed some Water weld in/over the holes and it is still holding well to this day.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote

fuel, leak, leaks, tank