Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #1

fuel tank question

hello, I just bought a 1989 fleetwood southwind on the the chevy platform.
I could always smell gas when i parked it. Well i decided to drop the tank and see where it was coming from. ok here is my question . it looks like someone put a tee in the fuel tank line and is running the fuel for the gen and the engine from the same line. I found a separate feed off the tank that i believe should just be the generator right now the way it is hooked up the fuel pump on the generator is dripping while the motor home is running. I think maybe because the fuel pump on the main tank is pushing and the little pump on the gen cant hold the pressure?? so I should put a plug in the tee fitting and connect the gen to the new separate line.Does that sound right..I cant find any diagrams or tank drawings. thanks in advance for your help..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #2

That would be the fix to return it to factory condition. You have to ask yourself why would someone change the fuel supply for the generator. Was it because they could not run the generator when the tank was lower then the pickup when set up at the factory or was it not picking up at all and the tee was a quick fix. Only one way to find out. Hook it back up and see what happens. I would not plug the tee. I would remove it and rejoin the main line.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe momma View Post
hello, I just bought a 1989 fleetwood southwind on the the chevy platform.
I could always smell gas when i parked it. Well i decided to drop the tank and see where it was coming from. ok here is my question . it looks like someone put a tee in the fuel tank line and is running the fuel for the gen and the engine from the same line. I found a separate feed off the tank that i believe should just be the generator right now the way it is hooked up the fuel pump on the generator is dripping while the motor home is running. I think maybe because the fuel pump on the main tank is pushing and the little pump on the gen cant hold the pressure?? so I should put a plug in the tee fitting and connect the gen to the new separate line.Does that sound right..I cant find any diagrams or tank drawings. thanks in advance for your help..
We have dropped a lot of gas tanks to replace sending units, fuel pumps, fuel lines etc. and I don't recall seeing a tee for the gen. in the engine feed line. I would try the seperate feed and make sure you can pump fuel from it. We have seen problems where that pick-up tube has broken off and is laying in the tank. Being teed in to the engine feed line means you could run your tank empty with the gen. The seperate pick-up tube is raised so you don't run your tank empty.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally the generator "Sucks" Fuel out of the tank via a tube that ends at around 1/4 tank level.. The main fuel pump, which is for the engine, is much closer to the bottom of the tank.

So the Prior owner likely did not like running out of Generator Gas 1/4 tank before he ran out of Engine Gas so modified the rig in the manner you cite.. Which is IMPROPER.

For one thing,, the main fuel pump may be too powerful for the generator.

I would restore it as you purpose.

NOTE: If you bought this through a dealer.. Said dealer may have violated state law by selling an unsafe vehicle. I stress the quailifier MAY.. Since I don't know the law in your state.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

If you have an "in tank" fuel pump, that is not a good approach. I sure would not leave the pump from the tank pushing fuel to the genset's pump.

There was probably some reason that the modification was made so before you put it back where it was I would check to try and determine why it was moved.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
NOTE: If you bought this through a dealer.. Said dealer may have violated state law by selling an unsafe vehicle. I stress the quailifier MAY.. Since I don't know the law in your state.
Just changing the fuel line wouldn't make it unsafe, the fuel leak would though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #7

If you have a 6.5 NHE generator, then oddly enough the output of the in-tank GM P-30 pump is 4-5psi (GM MH Service manual Figure A7-7-9) which is the same rating as the Onan 6.5 NHE pump (965-0528 page 6-24). Anything larger than 5psi will create problems at the generator. However, the correct connection is to the other fuel tank fitting on the tank.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #8

OK so i plugged the tee and used what i guessed was the feed for the gen ..
the fuel tank is not leaking from the small feed for the gen that was dry rotted and leaking fuel when moving back and forth.. also the fuel pump before the generator stopped leaking before it had too much pressure from main feed,, thanks for all your help

Tags
fuel, tank