Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Fuel/water separator filter change

I want to change the Fuel filter and when I open the the vent the fuel just keeps coming. How much is it supposed to drain? How do I stop it?
Jimmyb12015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Change it fast
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Change it fast

If you think that’s funny it’s not.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #4

What type of vehicle?.....Ford Chassis by chance?

The reason I'm asking is because on the Ford Super Duty Diesel trucks (I know, that's not what you've got), when you change the filter that is the frame mounted one, you unscrew the cannister three full turns, which in turn allows a check valve to close and stop the flow of fuel from the tank. Once that is done, you can then open the small valve and drain the water and fuel that is in the filter and cannister without siphoning fuel out of the tank. Otherwise, it will run until you empty your fuel tank. Maybe you have something like that....but I'm just offering a wild A$$ guess here.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb12015 View Post
If you think that’s funny it’s not.
Worked for me!
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

2015 Thor Freightliner Tuscany ISL 9 Cummins.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
Worked for me!

What doing it fast? How many of these filters you change?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
2015 Thor Freightliner Tuscany ISL 9 Cummins.
Well, I tried, but you setup is probably nothing like what I have. Hopefully someone will come along and offer some solutions.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

I get it loose, put a plastic bag over it and spin it off. Have the new one in hand, gasket oiled and spin it on. On my boat engine, I put an oil absorbing cloth under the filter.

I've done thousands of them, since 1971.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...waAv84EALw_wcB
Attached Images

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Check out You Tube also

My filter change has a small electronic connection near by. Disconnect that. and unscrew the filter. I did all the maintenance on my coach except that. (the fuel filter) The Cummins Shop Manager told me they use a vacuum type deal to bleed off the air. But when I took it in and was right up there close to watch this whole thing, they did exactly was I would have done in the first place.
Put a pail underneath to catch the spill, My tank was full and not that much cam e out but the mechanic spun it off pretty quickly.
Then he went over and prefilled the new filter and spun it on. Plugged the connector back together and was all done. I said, heck I could have done that but your manager told me you all did it with a air extraction device.
Seems that they were way behind on service jobs and wanted to get me in and out quickly, in any event it worked. He did pour some of the fuel from my old filter into the pail and inspected for any signs of water. But back to your question, I think you want to take it off quickly and have the new one on the ready, pre-filled. Good luck
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
What doing it fast? How many of these filters you change?
Lot's!
Have your new filter full of clean fuel, filled thru the small outer holes, ready to go!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
My filter change has a small electronic connection near by. Disconnect that. and unscrew the filter. I did all the maintenance on my coach except that. (the fuel filter) The Cummins Shop Manager told me they use a vacuum type deal to bleed off the air. But when I took it in and was right up there close to watch this whole thing, they did exactly was I would have done in the first place.

Put a pail underneath to catch the spill, My tank was full and not that much cam e out but the mechanic spun it off pretty quickly.

Then he went over and prefilled the new filter and spun it on. Plugged the connector back together and was all done. I said, heck I could have done that but your manager told me you all did it with a air extraction device.

Seems that they were way behind on service jobs and wanted to get me in and out quickly, in any event it worked. He did pour some of the fuel from my old filter into the pail and inspected for any signs of water. But back to your question, I think you want to take it off quickly and have the new one on the ready, pre-filled. Good luck

I am surprised to read others that said the same thing. Seems to me a Shut off valve is needed here. It has been mentioned a couple times to start with a less than 1/4 full tank. Less “head” pressure.
I can wait until my fuel level is less. Then elevate the rear to decrease the fuel pressure more.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Hate to say it, but "do it fast" is the correct approach on our 2008 Gulf Stream 40UL. The first time I made a mess and the fuel poured out of the frame-mounted filter a lot faster than I expected it to. The second time, I had a clean, spare housing loaded with a new filter and prefilled with Diesel before unscrewing the old filter housing. New one was on in 5 seconds and only spilled a few cups into the catch bucket below.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If there is a rubber supply hose to the filter a vise grip will make a valve. I don't think it was ment to be funny just the true.

LEN

Tags
fuel, water