Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Fueling 38' Gas with trailer

I have a 38" class A GAS motorhome and we either trailer a motorcycle or have a mini cooper on a tow dolly. Either trailer is about the same in length. I have the Good Sam / Pilot / Flying J discount card but have yet to use it. I have been to 3 Pilot stations that are all too tight to get gas. Pulling off the interstate is a crap shoot since you don't know if you'll fit or not. I'm not ready to go the diesel route yet.
Any magical suggestions for getting gas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen many MH in the gas lanes at Flying J. There generally is one or two lanes that seem to be fairly straight through.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Do they list the stations on their website that will fit a large motorhome since the one's I been too wouldn't fit a Pickup truck pulling a flat bed trailer.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

I use the flying j app on phone to locate stations with rv islands. if those are not available, it is luck of the draw. I have pulled into stations where lanes were too small and left with no gas. have to be careful cause I can't back up. I have found most truck stops seem to have the largest lanes and have my best success in those. bottom line for me, never get to the point I HAVE to have fuel right now. and if I pull into a station and wonder if I can fit, I won't try. just get back on the road and try aging later.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hdzcar-

I also have a Mini S (automatic) that I have to leave at home because of all the concerns with pulling a long trailer and what to do with it- en-route to my destinations, and when I get there. Maybe a two wheel aluminum dolly would work.

I tow a Malibu with 4 wheels down and I can always unhook and back up out of crappy positions I get myself into- and I have!

I think you could get into, and out of, most Flying J's okay.

I sympathize with you.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
So if they have an RV Island, is that separate for GAS from the Diesel lanes and signage as such? I haven't seen that yet.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
So if they have an RV Island, is that separate for GAS from the Diesel lanes and signage as such? I haven't seen that yet.
yes, they are separate. and so far signage has been good. and they seem to be in front/side with gas as opposed to in back with the diesel.

We towed dads mini on our mountain trip because it is 300 lbs. Lighter than the Hyundai.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It all depends on the Flying J station layout--

On I-95, about 30 north of Richmond, they have two dedicated gas lanes. Easy in and out.

On I-10, Canal Rd exit, just West of Gulfport, no dedicated long gas lanes.

Best thing for you to do is:

- Plan your stops and call ahead and ask about "dedicated" gas fillup lanes for large Motorhomes pulling a long trailer.

You will still probably get a wrong answer- I have before-

or-

Call Flying J's headquarters and ask that question along your route of travel.

I just don't know what else to tell you-

Good luck,
Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nearly all the Flying J's had RV islands, but the Pilot's did not. Some Pilots have added them since the merger, but nowhere near all of them. Download the PFJ RV Guide so you now which is which (or use their App on a smart phone).
http://pilotflyingj.com/assets/files...ravelGuide.pdf

The RV islands have gas and diesel. RVs can also use the truck islands, but the RV must be diesel and must be capable of fueling with the larger heavy truck nozzles.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Nearly all the Flying J's had RV islands, but the Pilot's did not. Some Pilots have added them since the merger, but nowhere near all of them. Download the PFJ RV Guide so you now which is which (or use their App on a smart phone).
http://pilotflyingj.com/assets/files...ravelGuide.pdf

The RV islands have gas and diesel. RVs can also use the truck islands, but the RV must be diesel and must be capable of fueling with the larger heavy truck nozzles.
...and many Flying J's have dump stations at the RV islands (for a fee) and water and air, as well as long-handled window washing squeegees.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

My biggest gripe with Flying J/Pilot is their signage. They seem to want to appeal to the RV industry, yet they seem very blase' about where to go in their stations. Many times I have pulled in, saw "cars only" sign, and so I followed the truck lane only to find out that's not where I needed to be. Could directional signs be that hard to put up?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
hdzcar-

I also have a Mini S (automatic) that I have to leave at home because of all the concerns with pulling a long trailer and what to do with it- en-route to my destinations, and when I get there. Maybe a two wheel aluminum dolly would work.

I tow a Malibu with 4 wheels down and I can always unhook and back up out of crappy positions I get myself into- and I have!

I think you could get into, and out of, most Flying J's okay.

I sympathize with you.
We tow a mini w/ kar kaddy SS tows like a dream at all speeds don't know it is back there.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

We tow a CR-V and use flying j when possible. I like to use Allstays Camp and RV app on my phone. All you need to do is select FJ in the filter and it locates them for you. Short info block tells you right away about RV lanes. For satelite view, select directions. I love this app!
Happy camping.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
Pilot/Flying J publishes an RV travel guide. Some of the stations have them as handouts, and they are available on-line. They lists which stations have "RV Lanes". These are set back about 10 to 20 feet further from the building and this gives sufficient room for turns for my 35 ft. gasser with a toad. typically they are grouped as two or three drive through lanes. It seems that signage is confusing/missing/ hard to see, so when I can I will get on Google earth and view the station to try and figure out where the RV lanes are. I actually plan my trips around once a day stops at PFJ's with RV lanes. They also have other amenities which I haven's used, such as dump stations, propane gas, etc..
If you are looking for the booklets, they are pamphlet sized, 4 inches wide, by 9 inches tall.
Bob

Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas