Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't normally use the truck lanes because the pumps won't allow you to use regular credit cards, unless it's a Pilot or Flying J card. I use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card that gives me a 5% rebate on all fuel purchases, IF I can pay at the pump! I usually try to find a Wal-Mart location that has diesel and that I can get into.

Truck lane: Pull up and go inside, wait in line for 3 to 5 people in front of you to clear the cashier line. Now my turn, "how much money do you want us to authorize?" Get my receipt and go back out. Pump fuel, get in start coach and move forward park, lock up and and go back inside, wait for the line to clear and hand my CC back to the cashier to get a receipt for the actual amount charged. Then back outside again to get into the coach and drive away.

But then, the last time I used the FlyingJ RV pumps I had to wait 32 minutes for some dude who was facing the wrong way to pump diesel, dump sewer then pull forward to the propane tank. Go back inside to get some one to dispense propane, get propane then start to leave driving the wrong way only to be stopped because someone had pulled in and blocked him! WHY does Flying J put the propane tank where they do?

Oh the joys of "Living the Dream!"

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
In Ca., the diesel prices in the truck lanes are higher because of additional road taxes. So I always go for the regular pump lanes.

Sometimes you have to be careful because only a few pumps have a diesel nozzle.

Regards,

Dan
This tax thing is true in Indiana and Arizona. Never seen it in CA, but I haven't been there since September.

ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

Not in CA. AZ is supposed to give you .08 back per gallon but most people working there don't know it.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #18

I fuel at the Mom n Pops Truck stops....
Old 11-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Truck lane: Pull up and go inside, wait in line for 3 to 5 people in front of you to clear the cashier line. Now my turn, "how much money do you want us to authorize?" Get my receipt and go back out. Pump fuel, get in start coach and move forward park, lock up and and go back inside, wait for the line to clear and hand my CC back to the cashier to get a receipt for the actual amount charged. Then back outside again to get into the coach and drive away...
Which is exactly why I have the Pilot/Flying J charge card. Swipe, pump and go. I only wish other chains would adapt a similar program because yes, the procedure you describe is a real PITA.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
For me it the difference it the fuel prices. We went out west on a trip and used GasBuddy .com to find the cheapest prices. It was never at a big truck stop. We stopped in Amarillo for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel on the way back. There was a filling station near by, yes it was a tight fit but we paid $2.16/gallon. Within a couple miles the Truck stops were !$2.40/gallon. I pumped ~80 gallons and saved ~$20 >>> paid for breakfast
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't normally use the truck lanes because the pumps won't allow you to use regular credit cards, unless it's a Pilot or Flying J card. I use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card that gives me a 5% rebate on all fuel purchases, IF I can pay at the pump! I usually try to find a Wal-Mart location that has diesel and that I can get into.
I use the PenFed card also, but I have found lately that some of the FlyingJ and Pilot stations allow Pay at the Pump. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyway to know until you pull in.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Not in CA. AZ is supposed to give you .08 back per gallon but most people working there don't know it.
Sorry guys, my memory is failing me....we were on our way back from AZ last week when I noticed the price difference.
Now that I think back, we were about 10 miles from the border....STILL IN AZ

Dan
Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #23

If the truck lanes are half empty I will go in backwards so I can fill up my def tank. Never been a issue and I love the dual fuel feeds as well as the large nozzles for diesel.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only "problem" I've had at a truck stop was when a truck driver tried to use my satellite pump to fill his tank. I just told him that that was my pump, not his and he put the nozzle back where it belonged. He knew what he was doing too. I said it in English and not Spanish but he still understood.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Sorry guys, my memory is failing me....we were on our way back from AZ last week when I noticed the price difference.
Now that I think back, we were about 10 miles from the border....STILL IN AZ

Dan
I made that mistake when we were in Quartzsite some years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #26

I also have the Flying J card it makes fueling up easy. We use the truck lanes and have never had an issue. We like using the truck lanes because the pumps are faster and there is always room to pull in and around. We leave promptly when we are done. Using the card, we do not have to go inside to pay.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Enjoy talking with the truckers. Ask about the road conditions, etc. Gives both of us a break.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
MY DW looks forward for the cheapest fuel. ONe thing for sure - those big truck stops screw you over the rocks with high prices. We have seen as much as 40 cent difference in price between a truck stop along the highway to a smaller fueling stop on the way.

Example: right now !!!! flying j in south jersey $2.35 verses just around the corner 1.99
that is a 35 cent difference or about $28 buck on my standard fill. I also use my credit card so that give me $4.77 cash back or a total savings of $32.77 on my fill by going 15 more miles down the road.

When we are near a Murphy fuel at a walmart we use the walmart credit and get 5 Cents less that the pump price and the pump price is generally 25 cents cheaper than the highway robber truck stop price. On a trip from NJ to FL back to NJ we typically save at least $100 on shopping for fuel refilling locations.

I always hated the big stop because I had to go inside to pay. Now I just use my credit card at the pump and while filling check the heat on my tires and hubs with my really cheap "on sale" harbor freight IR temperature sensor gun.

Am I Cheap - Well in a word NO just a penny pincher.

Tags
fuel