Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #29

I use my regular Visa in the Flying J truck lanes all up and down the east coast. No issues with pay at the pump for diesel or DEF. every pump has directions for using regular Visa cards and it seems by the wear on the instructions it's nothing new. The RV island never has DEF, at least those I've been in.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #30

Fueling a DP in the truck lanes

The last time I fueled at a non truck stop diesel pump, it delivered fuel at a rate of 3 gallons per minute. I took 90 gallons of fuel. Do the math. Never again.

Now it is 100% truck lanes at Flying J and Pilot Truck stops. I use the Flying J/Pilot RV Card. Swipe. Pump. Go. Fast.

As for a price difference, even if the truck stop price is 10 cents per gallon more, on a 100 gallon fill-up that's $10. Big deal. I'll gladly pay a little extra to avoid standing at a pump for 30 minutes! My time is worth more than $20 per hour.

'06 Mandalay 40E
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
IMHO.....I tend to shy away from small mom and pop diesel pumps. I have only owned a DP for a few months, so I am new to this type of RVing. However, I have done a lot of homework about diesels. From what I read, fuel quality seems to be the most common problem of user controlled events that effect engine function. And diesel fuel is much more likely to be contaminated than gasoline. Pumps with low sales volumes, means old marginal fuel, and that translates into expensive tows and repairs.

For a few cents at the pump, I can save big bucks in repairs.

Say it can't happen? We were at a rally. This summer, as we got off the interstate a Dutch Star was limping off the highway, and down the 2 lane highway with lots of traffic behind it. About 45 minutes later, it limped into the rally, and they parked right next to us. To make a long story short ; Cummins mechanic came next day, rig towed to service center, three days later, neighbor was back. Prognosis, bad fuel, cost him $1200. Nice guy, retired highway patrolman. It can happen to anyone.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #32
YC1

Paper booties, disposable gloves, blue shop towells and I leave the mess outside. I have never had a strange look for the booties either. I have never had a trucker grouse at me or give me a bad look. I have had them go inside and take 30 minutes to clear the lane ahead of me.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:05 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Each to their own. I don't get fuel at Mom and Pop either only at high volume stations. But just now I checked prices in Florence SC. We regularly stop their and pick up fuel. The the truck stop on rt95 are $2.42 and just off 95 less than 1.5 miles away at Walmart the Price is $1.88 Now I don't know how some of Ya'll count your money but for me on my fill up that is a savings of $48 bucks. And oh ! the pump is fast enough and I can do my safety checks, take a leak and clean my windshield which I would be doing anywhere anyway. Of course, I use my walmart credit card it still is another 5 cents cheaper.
Just Sayin You rich boys keep use'in those big boy pumps - leaves room for me at my cheap places.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #34

I fuel at the end of each day's travel, just before going to the campground. When we're getting close Jo Ann gets on Gas Buddy to find likely places. She has her iPad going, too, to check to see if the candidate is easy to get in and out of. Often we'll unhook the Jeep at that time and she leads the way to the campground.

I only have a single fill point, on the curb side, so when I fuel at a truck stop I have to get out, start the pump on the left, then go back to the right to fuel. Jo Ann watches the unused hose if there is any thought that someone else may try to use it. If we're the only ones there that isn't an issue.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #35

I use the truck lanes at truck stops. The truckers have always been helpful and courteous. The first time I did it, I was surprised my credit card wouldn't work. A driver came right over to explain the procedure. I pull up to the pump, run in and leave money, pump fuel, have my wife pull ahead while I get change and we are off. We are in and out much faster than a big rig those behind us don't mind at all.

One trucker came over and told me to get some gloves for pumping fuel. They clean the area at night but things get pretty greasy as the day wears on. He also went in with me to get me signed up for Love Points Card. Get enough points and you can by food etc or even get a free shower. :-)

There are times of the day that are busier, early morning/evening, so I try to time my fuel stops accordingly. Also when it is very busy, don't cut the line leaving. You will notice truckers pull out and circle around to the end of the exit line. I cut the line once. A trucker let me in without objection. When I realized what they were doing after that I did the same. They are working for a living and can only drive 11 hours a day. So let them be about their business. I've always found them friendly and helpful.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I use the PenFed card also, but I have found lately that some of the FlyingJ and Pilot stations allow Pay at the Pump. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyway to know until you pull in.
X2 and if the Pilot of Flying J does not take "pay at the pump" it's their station tying up the line, not me. Less fuel pumped per day, less profit. You would think they want to keep that line moving as fast as possible.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The only "problem" I've had at a truck stop was when a truck driver tried to use my satellite pump to fill his tank. I just told him that that was my pump, not his and he put the nozzle back where it belonged. He knew what he was doing too. I said it in English and not Spanish but he still understood.
I'm glad you mentioned this. We stopped at a Flying J and used the truck islands for the first time in years. As I was pumping fuel into my drivers side filler, a trucker took the nozzle off the satellite station that was located right next to my pump. On the satellite station, facing me was my pump number. I asked him what he was doing and he said "this is my satellite fill location". I pointed out the station had my pump number on it facing me and he pointed to his side of the station and it had his pump number on it! Just to make sure I stopped filling and watched my pump numbers and they stopped also.

In all the confusion, I forgot to walk around to the other side and check the satellite filler for my pump. Shoot someone could have been using it!

One more thing to remember.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
On the road, I always look for a FlyingJ. Next is Pilot. I know they are the same company, but I ususally find FlyingJ to be easier in and out. I do not do that in Indiana. Indiana does not charge sales tax for OTR trucks (exempt). Therefore, unless you have a tax exempt number, you cannot pay at truck pumps. And when paying inside my PenFed discount no longer applies, although the FlyingJ mini discount does.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Each to their own. I don't get fuel at Mom and Pop either only at high volume stations. But just now I checked prices in Florence SC. We regularly stop their and pick up fuel. The the truck stop on rt95 are $2.42 and just off 95 less than 1.5 miles away at Walmart the Price is $1.88 Now I don't know how some of Ya'll count your money but for me on my fill up that is a savings of $48 bucks. And oh ! the pump is fast enough and I can do my safety checks, take a leak and clean my windshield which I would be doing anywhere anyway. Of course, I use my walmart credit card it still is another 5 cents cheaper.
Just Sayin You rich boys keep use'in those big boy pumps - leaves room for me at my cheap places.

A 36' coach pulling a trailer is easier to navigate around pumps and smaller stations, than a 45' coach with toad. Some of gladly will leave room for you at the cheap places.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_ View Post
I use my regular Visa in the Flying J truck lanes all up and down the east coast. No issues with pay at the pump for diesel or DEF. every pump has directions for using regular Visa cards and it seems by the wear on the instructions it's nothing new. The RV island never has DEF, at least those I've been in.

That's good to know! Thanks Tom!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 with MSHappyCampers. I use the PenFed card also, but it must be used at a pump that accepts regular credit cards and that is my preferred choice before truck lanes. What I try to do is, if I haven't fueled up the day before stopping for the night, I will check my GasBuddy app and find cheap diesel around meand then look at the station on Google Maps or Earth and see if I can get in and out w/o a problem. Saves time driving around looking for good prices.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
Somethings I just don't get -- help me out here .
You Guy's buy 100 K plus Motor Homes and look for Cheapest fuel prices then complain about where to fuel up ? and the issues with Truckers in the their Fuel Lanes ? What am I missing ?
I use Flying J's exclusively ---The Truck lane Exclusively - I pull in- run my Flying J Card - Fuel up Move forward- go in and pay -- Done deal. I spend 6 K a year with Flying J's and they are the best stops on my travels !
I have have never had an issue with Truckers in the Truck Lanes.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel