Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fueling a DP in the truck lanes

A recent article in iRV2 relating things they were thankful for included reference to good diesel fueling access at gas islands. I avoid using the diesel pumps in the gas island to avoid the crazy 4 wheelers and tight quarters. I typically fill up at a Flying J or similar station using the truck fueling area because I can be sure that it will provide plenty of space for my MH and toad. Most truckers have been great to talk with and are many comment that they want my lifestyle when they retire.

Am I violating some trucker protocol or unwritten rule? If I am I will certainly continue as I have no intention of changing something that works so well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I always used the truck lanes or the RV lanes(some had them). Then remember to pull ahead to pay. Never a problem other than at times crowded.

LEN

Old 11-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #3

Truck islands are fine for refueling. The only foopah is leaving your vehicle sitting at the pump while paying. Protocol is to pull forward to the line so the next rig may begin refueling while you pay. If you wish to shop after paying, find a parking spot so you aren't blocking the lane.
I generally avoid truck lanes because I don't like to track spilled fuel into the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Truck lanes might be the best reason to own DP. I used to figure on 45+ minutes to gas up in the RV lanes. Now with the RV Plus card I figure 15 minutes or less to be back of the road.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Truck islands are fine for refueling. The only foopah is leaving your vehicle sitting at the pump while paying. Protocol is to pull forward to the line so the next rig may begin refueling while you pay. If you wish to shop after paying, find a parking spot so you aren't blocking the lane.
I generally avoid truck lanes because I don't like to track spilled fuel into the MH.

Protocol for whom? During our summer trip this year, every truck stop where we refueled had unattended big rigs sitting at the pump, not being fueled. The majority of the time, I was able to refuel, clean the windshield, and do my walk-around inspection, before any driver returned to these unattended trucks. The only reason that I remember it at all is that it seemed so inconsiderate.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was driving.
At truck stops it was nice to see something different instead of another rig no different from most.
A motor home in the line up was a bit of Eye Candy. Don't forget truckers park with truckers eat with truckers talk with truckers. It gets boring after while.
Something new is a change from the old.
But as stated don't linger after fuelling some of the fellows may be in a hurray as they may have come across unforeseen delays in their travels and have to make up some time.
But I will bet you dollars to do-nuts if you park of to the side you will get curious truckers with a lot of questions.
Afterall your living the dream.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Protocol for whom? During our summer trip this year, every truck stop where we refueled had unattended big rigs sitting at the pump, not being fueled. The majority of the time, I was able to refuel, clean the windshield, and do my walk-around inspection, before any driver returned to these unattended trucks. The only reason that I remember it at all is that it seemed so inconsiderate.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Did you look over you shoulder to see why he didn't move the rig. Was he running a triple or B train.
Have you ever driven 18 wheels? Your motor home is a very small unit at a truck stop. Don't forget a truck stop is exactly that. But most truckers would never object to you fueling up.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
As stated, some are happy to see you...
one, different and always have questions/ nice comments,
two, they know you are probably not filling with anything like 300 gallons and will probably be the fastest in line

Never had a bad remark and mostly friendly...
after all, we're vacationing, they are working.
your attitude and posture goes a long way in that - just like at any 'gathering'
Old 11-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I always fuel at truck stops and never ever had a problem. They pump much faster as they have larger nozzles. The best thing I did was get the Pilot J Good Sam Card, now just slide card and pump fuel then leave..... You always get fresh fuel also.

Dave
djhinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
What others have said about the "protocol", pull forward after fueling so the next vehicle can begin fueling. I have never heard a derogatory word from a trucker while using the truck pumps for the last 15 years. I have made the mistake of pulling in behind a Rider rental box truck... I figured small tank, he'll be fast... I couldn't have been more incorrect. First he goes in to turn the pump on... OK, AND TO SHOP FOR BREAKFAST!! Then he returns, with breakfast for himself and his son and then pumps... When finished, he again goes inside to pay with his truck still blocking the pump... The only laugh I got out of this was a trucker two lanes over that saw my dilemma... When he walked back to his truck after paying, he stopped and looked at me pointing to his watch... with a BIG grin on his face...! I love professional OTR Drivers and their humor!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

I prefer the truck lanes for refueling for many of the reasons already mentioned. At 75' long, I am also longer than all of the semi's, so the rv pumps are out of the question. When we travel with our son, who also has a 75' MH with matching enclosed trailer and pull in for fuel together, we get several comments from truckers. Nice rig, how long, mileage, how is it to drive, what's in the trailer, cost, and many want one. We always pull ahead if there is room to go pay, or if not, my wife goes in while I park it. We have never had a "Bad look" or negative comment from a trucker.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I used the truck lanes to fill my Dodge when we had a 5th wheel. I could fill up in just a few minutes and be out of the way. I wouldn't do it if the truck lanes were full of big rigs waiting to fuel, but that's usually not an issue. I can't imagine not using the truck lanes if I were putting in 75 gallons or more.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Ca., the diesel prices in the truck lanes are higher because of additional road taxes. So I always go for the regular pump lanes.

Sometimes you have to be careful because only a few pumps have a diesel nozzle.

Regards,

Dan
Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't normally use the truck lanes because the pumps won't allow you to use regular credit cards, unless it's a Pilot or Flying J card. I use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card that gives me a 5% rebate on all fuel purchases, IF I can pay at the pump! I usually try to find a Wal-Mart location that has diesel and that I can get into.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel