Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As I have learned first hand that in a split second gasoline vapors explode and do unbelievable damage to skin. That is for real.. Just sayin'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #58

I'm sorry but until you have lived through a burn and watched your son go through all the scrubbing off of burned skin, skin graft after skin graft and being told he may not live, that is enough incentive for me. For the life of me I don't understand why ANYONE would not take 30 seconds to shut off any open flame before fueling. Why take that chance!? Many don't use jack stands because 'it has never fallen before!'. Same logic IMHO.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Gordon,
I don't disagree with your thoughts concerning fueling any vehicle. Simply pointing out the standard practices of the times. We are all aware of the things that were done as a matter of course for years and years with apparent few mishaps.

Just the other day I read that 1 in 4 women and 1 in 2 men will get some form of cancer. That's a 25% & 50% chance. Those are very high percentages and I guess we don't have much control over it either. What are the odds of a vehicle catching on fire during a fill-up??? Maybe 1 in 50,000, or even 100,000 or even greater. We never buy lottery tickets because of the very high odds against winning. Others will say, "Yes the odds are high but somebody has to win."

Odds are a funny thing. If two or three 777 or 747 airplanes crashed over a 3-6 week period killing all on board the FAA would ground the fleet to determine the cause. Yet 250 people die everyday day from smoking and yet we/they do nothing as drastic or dramatic. Many, many individuals still make their bad choices (smoking) and want the docs to fix them and the insurance to pay for it.

We never travel with our furnace operating. Well at least so far. Usually the engine heat keeps the coach warm enough. Maybe we will start shutting the fridge off since we've pushed the envelope long enough. We can always improve our ODDS of survival by doing so perhaps only to be taken by a drunk driver (which is also a choice) or by cancer.

Happy miles,

TeJay
Hey TeJay - We all take the risks we take. I am sure there are still things I am doing that put me at risk. Life is full of risks and to some extent we chose the risks we are exposed to. As you point out life is also not fair. We can be as careful as we can be and a drunk driver, speeding driver, wind gust, icy road or someone fueling can change things in an instant.

Odds of a fueling accident are very small. There are approximately 1000 fires per year of which 61% are caused by vehicles. There is no breakdown by vehicle type but I am probably estimating high at 1% but it makes the numbers easy. Statistically that means 10 fires per year may be caused by RV. Annually there are 2 deaths, 48 injuries and 20 million in damages.
http://www.nfpa.org/safety-informati...station-safety

This has been a very interesting thread. I will continue to fill up when I need to and share the pump space with folks who keep their cars tuned up and some who don't, RV'ers who turn their appliances off and some who do not. All who share the fueling space with me will not know that all of mine will be turned off.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #60

I said in earlier post I'm still learning, and after reading all the post's on this subject, I'm going to start turning off fridge when I stop for fuel, only takes a second to hit the button when I exit door, to fuel.

I never run furnace or hot water heater going down the highway.

Now that I'm thinking about things, when is it safe to turn back on fridge? Before I exit parking lot? 1 mile down the road, 5 Miles?? Gotta be all kinds of gas fumes in parking lot?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #61

I have my wife turn it off when we are on the highway and back on when are back on the road. By myself I stop as far away from the pumps as possible and back on as far away as possible. Do people honk at me? Never have in 20+ years.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sling Shot View Post
I said in earlier post I'm still learning, and after reading all the post's on this subject, I'm going to start turning off fridge when I stop for fuel, only takes a second to hit the button when I exit door, to fuel.

I never run furnace or hot water heater going down the highway.

Now that I'm thinking about things, when is it safe to turn back on fridge? Before I exit parking lot? 1 mile down the road, 5 Miles?? Gotta be all kinds of gas fumes in parking lot?
I spoke with my son who is a fire captain in a major city. He says it will be very unlikely to get the concentrations of fuel to spark an explosion except in a few circumstances.

One being if there is a tank truck there filling the tanks. At the rate they are dumping fuel into the tanks the explusion of air/fuel mixture from the vent pipes is large. He said in that case he would drive around the block until the truck is finished unloading.

The other is if someone accidentaly triggered the nozzle as they were taking the nozzle out of the tank and sprayed fuel around. Does not happen often but they did attend a fire where a young boy was fueling the car for his mother and was holding the lever as he pulled the nozzle out of the tank. He managed to spray gasoline into the air which subsequently caught on fire.

I turn my fridge off in the morning just before we leave and back on at night first thing after we stop. Our fridge stays cold and keeps the frozen stuff frozen all day. I feel more comfortable with the tank turned off when traveling.

Our coach is all electric so I will not have this issue in about a month.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #63

Good idea Gordon. You never know what the other guy might do to cause an accident.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20...uple-8217-s-RV

Tags
fuel, gas