Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
My fridge air intake and gas tank are very close, so it would be imperative to shut off the fridge during fueling.
I agree - shut it off.
I turn the LP gas off at the tank whenever I travel - but that's just me.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Just pump the gas, you will be ok!
X2
Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Just pump the gas, you will be ok!
Apparently you guys have not seen the video of the MH set on fire when the older gentleman pulled the nozzle from his tank and "forgot" he was still squeezing the trigger, which caused him to spray gas directly into the bottom refrigerator vent as he turned towards the pump........

Like the OP, my gas fill and frig vent (with a fan pulling air in) are too close together-but I often forget to turn the refer off, so I've just been lucky so far.

We always run the refer on LP while driving, but I know it isn't safe to leave it on and burning an "open" flame while near a fuel island.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vapors from refueling are usually dispersed rapidly into the surrounding open air; but varying refueling scenarios can, in fact, make this an explosive situation. For this reason I always shut "Off" my propane appliances while refueling. some of them are:

1. lack of wind movement or stagnant air conditions
2. highly humid [or other climatic] conditions cause fuel vapor to remain close to the ground
3. extremely busy fuel island "traffic" use causes a build-up of fuel vapors to linger longer than normally present
4. a refueling truck might be restocking the fuel tanks

Now, some idiot can quickly throw this into a mess by lighting-up a cigarette...
I have absolute "control" over my actions; but not so for the items noted above. I will "not" be the cause of a flash-over by my negligence to observe safety precautions that I know to be just plain old good common sense ones.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #19

I've watched idiots smoking while pumping gas and never seen them blow up. Reality is that gas vapors are heavier than air and will tend to concentrate near the ground. Usually your fridge is going to be higher than your fueling point. Probably 99.9999% of the time, there will be no problem. It's that .00001% you've got to worry about.

Oh, and we all know your cell phone ringing can blow you up, so make sure you turn that off
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: How worried are you?

Gasoline fumes are heavier than air the fridge in my RV (And the water heater both) are well above (And away from) the fuel fill, so.. Still, it is safer to turn 'em off... Turning off the tank valve is optional but unless you manage to set the rig afire by some other means, it will not PREVENT a fire.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I follow the federal law that is post, no open flames and shut of engine.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #22

The only thing that could cause a spark, the WH, is on the other side of the coach, so we don't worry about it. Both engine and genset are too far away, but always turn them off...force of habit.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I turn off the fridge and I know others say don't worry my fridge is on the other side but what about the person who is filling up on the side of the fridge they could possible have fumes coming from there car truck or what ever or accidently spill gas and puff there goes the motorhome and station up in flames maybe not likely but possible
just my 2 cents
one can never be to safe
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
I turn off the engine, but if the propane units are on the opposite side of the fuel inlet, like they should be, I don't worry about it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Depends

My gas fill is in rear bumper area, driver side, refrig is half way up other side and about 4-5 feet off the ground, water heater is not on while traveling, and rarely is generator. Only thing anywhere near fill on mine is generator, so I would shut that off if it was running. Gas fumes are heavier than air and spread over the ground, I don't see how the refrigerator, short of someone spraying gas into the vent, would be an issue on mine. I do shut down engine, although feel that is unnecessary too, because coach, engine and exhaust system are much higher above ground, and potential fume build up, than would be the case in an automobile.

Logic should come into play here, if your gas fill is near refrig vent, by all means turn it off. Same with genny or water heater (if in use while traveling).

Just my thoughts
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I follow the federal law that is post, no open flames and shut of engine.
"No open flames!" I surprised you even drive it....
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #27

Guess I never thought about it before! I just pump and go also. Only thing on when I pump gas is fridge, and it's vent is on opposite side of gas tank fill. I'M a newbie also though!
Sling Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #28

Hello folks, do you read the signs that say to discharge any static electricity before touching the gas pump handle, the same reasoning should be taken with shutting off your refrig. or any other appliance that might produce a spark or flame while fueling. I don't know about you, but I have invested quite a bit of money in my RV and it is my home. There is a reason that you shut off your engine while fueling, same reason behind shutting off any appliance that uses propane and can produce a spark. Have some common sense, it doesn't take that long to shut off the refrig. or hot water heater.
colokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas