Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
In14 years never a problem using the truck lanes

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Never have used the RV lane. Never have been admonished for using the truck lanes.

If i were told to move I would just ignore it.

As stated, the PFJ web site states that any lane can be used, auto, RV or truck.
X2

The first time he told me, I would ignore him. If he told me again, I would probably tell him to bend over and I'll relocate his a$$ so far up between his sholders that he'll have to take off his shirt to take a dump.

Seriously, I've only used the RV lane one time at a P/FJ. That was in Pascagoula, MS and it was pouring rain. The RV lane had easy in/out. Other than that one time, I've always used the truck lanes and have never had anyone gripe at me about it. I pull into a truck lane, go inside and prepay whatever amount I estimate will get my tank nearly full, pump the fuel, then move forward and go inside and get my receipt. No problem.

gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #17

Or as mentioned get the RV Plus card and then you can simply pay at the pump. Usually very fast if there are no trucks in the way.

But you may have to pay a few cents more per gallon than the 7-11 down the street... ARGGGGGG
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
A bit off topic perhaps, but it was mentioned in this thread about buying propane in the RV lanes. How does that work? I assume that is not something handled by the motorhome owner.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have the rewards card. I have found that it discounts to where I am paying the cash price. My advice would be the next time an employee tells you that you need to move. Ask the employee for his name. Tell them you are not moving and if that is a problem to please send the manager out. When you get where you are going get on the web and send an email to customer service for pilot/ flying J telling them what happened, give them the employees name and the location of the station. Ask them if they want you to take your thousands of dollars worth of business to someone else.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
HHg

I've only used the RV lane once in many years.....and that because it was the only one I've seen that would accommodate my RV and attached Toad. I've also never been told I couldn't use the truck lanes....

Hhg
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
A bit off topic perhaps, but it was mentioned in this thread about buying propane in the RV lanes. How does that work? I assume that is not something handled by the motorhome owner.
Usually there is an intercom phone nearby and you just ask for propane service. Someone will come outside and fill your tank.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SOME states (I know AZ for sure) have different tax laws depending on the weight of your vehicle (MH and Towed combined) My Max CGVW is 26000 pounds and as I recall.. That is the rule in AZ. over either 24 thou (Max GVW) or 26 Tho (Max GCVW for my RV) has to pay a higher tax.

The idots in the capitol do not understand that INDUSTRY does not pay taxes. Consumers do, (industry makes a profit on taxes they pay) so they adopted a "Soak The Business man" tax plan.

IT may be the states you were in the attendants felt you were over the low-tax limit.

THIS IS A GUESS however.. And though you could tell me the weight of your consist.. I really do not care, I'm not from one of those states.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #23

Well, editorial comments aside... in Arizona (and probably other states that have a separate truck tax) you can simply go inside to pay and tell them you are a non-commercial/RV customer and they will apply the correct tax. No big deal.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #24

What is the proper protocol?

>>> I have the Pilot RV Card and follow proper protocol.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #25

I clearly stated that in the post you only quoted PART of. Go back and re-read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
What is the proper protocol?

>>> I have the Pilot RV Card and follow proper protocol.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #26

I have the RV Plus card. I always fill at the truck lanes. I look and see what the cash price for diesel is and always get the 6 cents off that price. I have never had anyone tell me I could not fuel in the truck lanes.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I only did it once, just picked up the phone at the rv island pumps and tole the lady i needed propane, she said someone would be right out. Unfortunately this was an rv island on the left side so the propane tank was on the opposite side of my motorhome. The young man that came out blocked the lane and showed me where to turn around and pull in the other way. He then filled the tank and guided me back out. Very plesant experience, I then pulled out and swung around to the truck islands to fill with diesel. Should have filled up with diesel first.

When the RV island is on the right side as you pull in, just call and they will send an attendant out. You usually then have to go in the pay.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #28

Yes, if your propane fill is on the driver's side then you will need to pull up to the propane filling station 'backwards' (driver's side towards the curb.) If you do this in advance the whole process will go a little faster.