Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #57

Alpine Owners Club
I don't understand why they have to make it so confusing to get fuel. I tried using my GS RV Plus card at the pump and had to walk through several screens. It finally told me to see the attendent. After several minutes with the attendent, he finally asked me for my control number. I must have missed that part because I didn't have it or know it. I had to use American Express and got no discount. When I got home, I logged into the RV Plus site and obtained the control numbers for both our cards and used a label maker to attach the contol number to the cards for next time (if there is a next time). Why can't they make it swipe and pump to get the $.08 discount? Frustrating.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #58

You can change the control number to anything you want on the website for ease of use.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet in WA View Post
When I got home, I logged into the RV Plus site and obtained the control numbers for both our cards and used a label maker to attach the control number to the cards for next time
Janet, as CoreyinWp stated you can, and should, change your control number. If memory serves me correct it is a four digit number, so I would suggest something that you can easily remember. For example if you were born on 7/15/1965, you could use 0715 or 1965.

However, PLEASE, for your own protection DO NOT put a label with your control number on the back of the card. If you should ever lose the card, you will be responsible for all of the charges made with the card. Please remember this is a CHARGE card issued by PFJ (read the agreement carefully) and not a CREDIT card. It does not come with the same fraudulent use protections that a credit card does.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet in WA View Post
I don't understand why they have to make it so confusing to get fuel. I tried using my GS RV Plus card at the pump and had to walk through several screens. It finally told me to see the attendent. After several minutes with the attendent, he finally asked me for my control number. I must have missed that part because I didn't have it or know it. I had to use American Express and got no discount. When I got home, I logged into the RV Plus site and obtained the control numbers for both our cards and used a label maker to attach the contol number to the cards for next time (if there is a next time). Why can't they make it swipe and pump to get the $.08 discount? Frustrating.
Of course there is going to be a PIN (Control Number), else anyone who found your card could use it (and for this reason it would be a pretty bad idea to write the number on the card.) Even many standard credit cards require a PIN these days (in the form of a zip code) for all the same reasons.

I can't believe all the carping throughout this thread. The RV Plus card is just the same as paying with a regular credit card at any gas station. What is so hard to understand about it?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Janet in WA, I'm confused. A, do you have the new GS swipe and save? B, do you have the FJ RV loyalty card that offers .03 cents per gallon discount. This is the card that a previous post stated will be phased out in late 2014 and I assume the Swipe and Save will be the substitute? Another way for GS to enlist membership. The FJ RV Plus card is entirely separate. As mentioned it is a credit line that you apply for independently, giving FJ your personal information much like applying for American Express or similar card that the balance is paid in full monthly. This card has a control number, "pin" that allows you to swipe, enter pin, pump what you desire at the truck lanes or RV lanes, and never go inside. It also is the card that allows higher discounts on diesel and gas. FWIW there is NO yearly fee for this card. I have been using the Plus card for two years and never had any issues. I hope this helps.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
It does seem this is almost like a thread about
which oil to use or
gas or diesel

but it's pretty simple for me...
I got the free rv plus card from good sam...
it SAYS you must use the truck lanes to get discounts...
pull into the truck lanes,
swipe my card, input my pin just like I do with my debit cards,
fill up with fuel @ a little inflated price and/or def @ $2.79 / gal (very convenient) and drive off !
at the end of the month, they debit my account for what I spent..

I am vacationing and don't spend a lot of time worrying about it
YRMV
Old 01-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
but it's pretty simple for me...
I got the free rv plus card from good sam...
it SAYS you must use the truck lanes to get discounts...
You do not need to use the truck lane to get the RV Plus discount, the card works on all pumps.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
These are the apps that I use to look for diesel prices while on the road, in the order that I check them:
My DAT Trucker Services - Trucker Apps - DAT
Gas Buddy - GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy Mobile Applications
Love's - Love's Connect
Pilot/Flying J - Pilot Flying J
That's the order and when I look for the prices I don't even bother trying to figure in any special card discounts since some of the times it doesn't work anyway.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:59 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=PyrateSilly;
Gas Buddy - [url=http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasBuddyMobileApps.aspx]GasBuddy.com - GasBuddy Mobile Applications[/url]

These are great sites but my preference is Mapquest fuel finder map. The map is movable and list the least expensive fuel at the top of the list. It allows a comparable price find from one area to another and also relative distance. Example: by moving the screen just 12 miles in the direction of my travel I found a 24 cent per gallon savings.

while on the road my wife will search our route for the best place to stop for fuel. Before a trip we look for areas of low fuel cost. Like we never buy fuel in North Carolina but plan for fuel stops in states with the lowest fuel cost.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #66

What about a gasser? Never been to a Flying J w/ an RV lane, but are they not just an additional truck lane? I thought all those truck lanes were diesel-only? Not true? I'm new to owning a motorhome and am now getting worried, am I going to have to fill up w/ all of the cars in the front of the Flying J's? We have a 40 footer on the way and plan on a toad...
fred061164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred061164 View Post
What about a gasser? Never been to a Flying J w/ an RV lane, but are they not just an additional truck lane? I thought all those truck lanes were diesel-only? Not true? I'm new to owning a motorhome and am now getting worried, am I going to have to fill up w/ all of the cars in the front of the Flying J's? We have a 40 footer on the way and plan on a toad...
The RV lane is the end lane at the car pump islands, it's not in the truck area.

I think the RV lane has both gas and diesel, but I'm not 100% sure. I always use the truck lanes for my DP. IMO the RV lanes are usually too small for a 45' plus toad. Just too tight a turn for me to want to attempt.

Truck lanes are diesel (and DEF) only. No gas.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #68

Most, and perhaps all Flying Js have a separate set of RV lanes. They are set off to the side in their own area, away from the truck lanes and the auto pumps. They are designed for 40-footers. I get ours in and out very easily.

The RV lanes are set up with fuel (gas and diesel), water, propane and a dump station all in one spot. I use 'em all the time with my Pilot/Flying J RV Plus charge card. The only time I have to go inside is to get a code for the dump station. If it's just a fuel stop, I swipe the card, start the pump, fill the tank and go. Easy.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #69

The FJ's in my part of the country have separate entrances for trucks and cars/RV's. And as stated above, there are two separate lanes for RV's apart from the car lanes. I agree the turns can get pretty tight for a large rig leaving many of the RV lanes, particularly if there are vehicles parked in spaces in front of those lanes at the building. I don't usually have a problem leaving the lanes, but do sometimes have a problem with people leaving their vehicles in the lanes and going inside for more than a receipt. And I won't go into the problems I had with two different sets of jerks at a recent single visit to a Pilot....
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only time I use the RV lanes is when I need propane but I have never had any problems getting in or out. Except for other customers being so slow. For normal fill up with diesel, I use truck lanes.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote