Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #1

Since when did getting gas become the social event of the day? Am I the only one that runs into this or, do others run into the same situation?

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to get gas either for the MH or the toad and the guy at the pump in front of me is boardering on the unconcious. In order to get gas you must be smarter than the pump At a "Mini-mart" station in Colorado the cowboy ahead of me took a full 3 minutes and 3 credit cards to figure out how to start the pump. This is before he even raised the nozzle!

More and more stations have burger joints, Subways, Dairy Queens, etc. co-located in the building. When getting gas, I've seen people come out with drinks, burgers, etc, while there car is parked at the pump taking up space making other customers wait in line. I watched a guy in Quartzsite washing his windshield while getting gas, no big deal we all do it. But this dude was making this event a work of art, carefully, slowly and very meticuosly running the sqweegy (sp?)over the window, then looking sideways across the glass and gently wiping any streaks with a paper towel, then going over the window again He had already pumped his gas by the way. There were two vehicles waiting in his line.

If you want a good laugh or a live demonstration of how intelligent, mature adults are turned into a quivering mass of Jello when confronted by a gas pump, look around you the next time you fill up.

Thank you, I feel better Have a great day!!!!

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
And how about those stations that have only one diesel pump located next to one of their gas pumps on one of the islands? Seems like there is always a gasser blocking that diesel pump and the driver has all the characteristics of the Cowboy you described or the guy doing his windows.

Ever wonder why the gassers go for that pump when all the other islands are empty?

Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Since I've had the 45 footer and especially when pulling a trailer or a toad, I've been utilizing the truck pumps at Flying J instead of those idiotically placed RV diesel pumps at their locations....
One thing the pro drivers ALWAYS do is pull ahead far enough to clear the pump when they're done fueling....
While I know that's not always possible in the gas lanes, it is something to remember.

Something else to remember is to always treat people like YOU'D like to be treated....even at the gas pumps.

Sometimes I'm left scratching my head at how these places are laid out.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #4

We stopped at a truckstop in the middle of SD this summer and found a contractor pickup truck parked at the RV diesel pump. There was a jerk sitting in the passenger seat and continued to sit there while we waited in line. I finally got out and asked passenger if he could move the truck please. He promptly said no and he didn't know where the driver was. Yeh, right!

Also we stopped at a Flying J and there was a Class C sitting at the RV pump, nobody around! After about a 5 minute wait the family from the Class C came back from across the street with lunch in hand.

If I was a fuel supplier I wouldn't let these idiots stop the sale of fuel, would you?

Happy Trails! Jim

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited
Our Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In order to get gas you must be smarter than the pump </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stopped for gas the other day.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> Get out with credit card in hand.

Open gas filler.

Look at pump and it looks like a computer touch screen because it is a computer touch screen.

Have to go back in car to get glasses so I can read the screen.

Pump asks cash or credit.

I select credit.

Pump asked which credit card.

I touch Discover.

Pump says put card in slot.

I put in credit card and wait for approaval.

Approved.

Pump asks if I want to use my grocery cents off that I've accumulated.

I say yes.

Pump tells me to scan my grocery card.

Grocery card is on my key ring.

Go in car and remove keys from ignition.

I scan grocery card.

Pump asked if I want to use all my cents off or just some of them.

I select all.

Pump asks if I want a car wash.

I press N.

Pump asks if I want a receipt.

I touch Y.

Pump says select grade.

I select the cheap stuff.

Fill tank.

While tank is filling I get lots of commercials on the screen for things available in the convenience store.

Tank full.

Replace noozle in pump.

Replace gas filler cap.

Wait for receipt.

No receipt, printer out of paper.

Get back in car and drive home.[/list]
-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Now Tom, I don't care who you are, THAT'S FUNNY!!
Speaking of tough to read, why won't the Flying J people convert their screens from LCD to LED screens!!

Virtually NO contrast on them babies....
Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Speaking of tough to read, why won't the Flying J people convert their screens from LCD to LED screens!!
Virtually NO contrast on them babies.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try not to patronize FlyingJs.....too many amateur RV drivers there.

I'll be headed your way on Wednesday!!

Remind me to tell you about the time I got my Vectra stuck in the sugar sand in Wilmington. The wife has video!

-Tom

Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
This summer we stopped at a station on I90 in NY. There was a box truck at the deisel pump. Passenger but no driver. We wait and wait and wait. I finally go to the attendant in the kiosk and ask him what's going on. The guy had no money to pay and was wandering around looking for an ATM. Now why didn't the attendant tell him to move his truck while he was looking for $$??? After about 10-15 minutes he finally returned and drove away with no gas and a line of rvs and trucks waiting to use the pump. The attendants don't seem to be much better than the customers.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 AM   #9

Sadly this post is the sign of the times. Social skolls in this country are on the decline. We have become a nation of isolationist. The world outside for many ceased to exist. The world away from work consist of a closed up AC home with a electronic media center. Very little Patience with others and highways full of road rage.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Tom N, THAT was FUNNY!!! and thanks to all others.

I think that pump printed your credit card number on the next guys receipt.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Only the last four numbers of the card are printed on the receipt.

-Tom

Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Too funny, Tom, way too funny. I just snorted coffee up my nose!

And have you been to those pumps that start beeping those questions at you after the fillup, and you spend so much additional time poking the buttons you get sidetracked and forget to replace the gascap?

Nope, me neither.... never once! (ok, like maybe 7 or 8 times. You'd think I'd learn eventually)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
That must be why I see more and more drivers leaving the pumps with their gas filler door still open.

Last night I was thinking about another computer I access from the car, the MAC machine at the bank.

I drive up.

Put in card and enter security code.

It asks me if I want "Quick Cash" and list a couple common amounts for withdrawal.

I press the amount, get my money and I'm gone in less than one minute.

Why are Mac machines faster to access than a gas pump??? Common sense makes me think a cash dispensing banking machine would be more complex than a gas pump!

IMHO, gas pumps need a "Quick Fillup". Put card in, pump asks if you want a Quick Fillup, press Y, fillup and leave.

-Tom

Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I notice more and more of the stations are going to the non-card reader type system. Basically you register a card with the station and they give you a device to hang on your keychain. Tap it against the pump and it registers your account.

I imagine with the growing popularity of RF ID tags, it won't be long that the RF tag is on our gas filler tube and the reader on the gas nozzle. All you'd have to do is put the nozzle in the car and sqeeze the handle. The RF ID tag would register your vehicle so the gas would be billed to your account, and the pump would even know what grade to pump in through the common nozzle to match your car.