Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

Fueling DP Both caps open?

Probably a dumb newbie question. My first trip to the pump in my new Fleetwood Excursion. I pulled up on the drivers side, put the nozzle in and the pump kept cutting off. I could see fuel foaming up thru the filler tube and slowly going back down. After puzzling over it for a few minutes I decided to try opening the passenger side filler as a vent. Filled up with no problem after that.

So is this the way it's supposed to work? Seems odd to me, but never had one of these before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #2

I do not have to do that with my 40 Ft Astoria KT diesel pusher...with dual fills...I have heard of it before though...if you search the forums you will find articles about it...its either a venting or restriction issue though...

Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If you leave both caps open to fuel make sure you are level.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

That is the way I fill my Fleetwood. I just loosen the opposite cap so I do not get a fuel spill.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This I s bad for a Phaeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
That is the way I fill my Fleetwood. I just loosen the opposite cap so I do not get a fuel spill.
When we bought our Phaeton, the salesman took us out to fuel up. A free fill up was nice.
He opened both fuel caps. When it was near full, we had a a couple of gallons spill out the opposite side, and the auto shutoff did not trip. Good thing I had walked around t o the other side to notice.

The manual even says don't open both fuel caps.
If your vent works properly there should not be a need.

Dan
Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
When we bought our Phaeton, the salesman took us out to fuel up. A free fill up was nice.
He opened both fuel caps. When it was near full, we had a a couple of gallons spill out the opposite side, and the auto shutoff did not trip. Good thing I had walked around t o the other side to notice.

The manual even says don't open both fuel caps.
If your vent works properly there should not be a need.

Dan
I was just going to post this Dan.......read once, where a fella did take off both caps, fuel spilling out opposite side, did not know it till it was running around his feet.......still pumping away
Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't like the burp but I would really HATE to pay the clean up bill for a fuel spill I didn't see until it was too late. Some places can get very tough on spills. It is not a practice I would recommend.

The best you can do at very fast, truck pumps is to be attentive and listen for the sound to change as it gets near full. Nope...doesn't always stop some splashing but it can help. Even on slow pumps it is possible to get splash back but I find it easier to hear the sound of being nearly full on them.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #8

I'd get it looked at to be sure the venting/recovery tubing is all in place properly with no kinks or blockages.

Might try the other side, and see if you have the same problem.

And if this was a Trucker's High Speed Fuel Nozzle, try setting it at the lowest setting, and play with where the nozzle placed. (I find that even on regular auto nozzle rates, that I sometimes need to adjust how deep I have the end of the nozzle inserted.

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #9

When I fuel at the truck pumps I will stop fueling and wait about 20 seconds to let the foam dissipate. Then I will fuel some more. I cannot put the fuel nozzle all the way it. If I put it all the way in I will get flash back out of the fuel hole. I never open both fueling places.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
i have a 2003 excursion fuel one side never had a problem
Old 01-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #11

I have the small tank opening also. Always have trouble when filling with the larger fast fill trucker nozzles. Kinda wonder if someone makes an adapter to fit over the big nozzle and then reduce size to fit into our smaller tank fill tubes.

Maybe a marketable item here??
Old 01-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
I have the small tank opening also. Always have trouble when filling with the larger fast fill trucker nozzles. Kinda wonder if someone makes an adapter to fit over the big nozzle and then reduce size to fit into our smaller tank fill tubes.

Maybe a marketable item here??
I am going to say if the hole that the fill nozzle goes into does not take the larger fuel nozzle's at the truck island's, the hose that connects the fill to the tank will not take the volume from the larger nozzle anyway.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Probably a dumb newbie question. My first trip to the pump in my new Fleetwood Excursion. I pulled up on the drivers side, put the nozzle in and the pump kept cutting off. I could see fuel foaming up thru the filler tube and slowly going back down. After puzzling over it for a few minutes I decided to try opening the passenger side filler as a vent. Filled up with no problem after that.

So is this the way it's supposed to work? Seems odd to me, but never had one of these before.
I had this problem on a previous Fleetwood coach and I found the vent hose had a low spot, like a waste water trap, that trapped diesel. Once I removed a inch or two and reattached the vent everything was fine and I never had that problem again.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #14

That is not normal & it isn't a good idea to have the opposite fuel cap off. You should see if the fuel tank vent is plugged or crimped.

Tags
fuel