Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Fueling in Maine

I refueled today in Maine at the truck islands of an Irving Travel Center and had three firsts happen to me.

First, I was surprised that the pump accepted my Visa card swiped at the pump without having to go inside... but then was even more surprised when it allowed me the entire 80 gallons without having to re-swipe it. I had heard folks say that it was the CC company that puts the restrictions on such things but this seems to blow that theory out of the water. The same card had been limited to $100/swipe many times over the past few months on the road.

Next, before pumping, the pump asked what kind of fuel I wanted... tractor or refer. I went with tractor but had never seen that question before. I assume it's diesel #2 vs #1?

The final "first" was that, for the first time while fueling my coach... the auto shut off didn't do it's job. I was standing right next to it and it was on the lowest flow setting but with the hi-flo nozzels there was still quite a gusher in the two seconds it took me to reach in to that mess and shut it off. It took much longer to clean myself off.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a gas MH so I wouldn't get those diesel alternative choices , but I filled up at Flying J on Tuesday and their Visa limit was something like $495 or $500. That was nice as I took $240 and in the past had to swipe my card three times at most places.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely, the choice is between:
Tractor fuel with full road taxes
Refer fuel without road taxes.
Both are probably #2 diesel, but one doesn't have the road tax.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

The difference between tractor or reefer is the price and whether road use taxes have been assessed or not. It is the same fuel but fuel for road use is subject to tax.

Tractor pricing is for road use and pays road taxes. Reefer fuel is not used for road travel is not subject to those taxes.

By the way, it is against the law to use reefer fuel in your vehicles fuel tank that is being used on roads.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrc46

By the way, it is against the law to use reefer fuel in your vehicles fuel tank that is being used on roads.
At least in Mich, no tax fuel is a different color, that's how they catch cheaters.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO
I refueled today in Maine at the truck islands of an Irving Travel Center and had three firsts happen to me.

First, I was surprised that the pump accepted my Visa card swiped at the pump without having to go inside... but then was even more surprised when it allowed me the entire 80 gallons without having to re-swipe it. I had heard folks say that it was the CC company that puts the restrictions on such things but this seems to blow that theory out of the water. The same card had been limited to $100/swipe many times over the past few months on the road.

Next, before pumping, the pump asked what kind of fuel I wanted... tractor or refer. I went with tractor but had never seen that question before. I assume it's diesel #2 vs #1?

The final "first" was that, for the first time while fueling my coach... the auto shut off didn't do it's job. I was standing right next to it and it was on the lowest flow setting but with the hi-flo nozzels there was still quite a gusher in the two seconds it took me to reach in to that mess and shut it off. It took much longer to clean myself off.

Rick
I've only had the gas flow keep coming one time, when I was filling my work van @ a slow speed. Think slower speeds can't detect the "I'm full, so stop pumping" sensors.....
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having lived in Maine for most of my life, and having used IRVING refueling stations for most of the time while RVing in Maine, I think that I have a logical explanation for the increased limit for credit cards when getting fuel/gas: Many of the logging trucks in Maine use IRVING stations, and naturally, they require more of a credit card maximum than other vehicles (especially with the cost of fuel/gas in Maine and the Northeast!! IRVING (a Canadian company, by the way, services a lot of large trucks, especially woods related vehicles. I hope that you enjoyed your visit or travel through Maine and helped contribute to my retirement check!!

Bronk
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick
Ricko, Was this at the Auburn Exit of 95? If so those pumps were just changed out this week. We live close by and use that station as well. Irving is in the process of changing their pumps over.

Bet you didn't see a sign at the Cat scales that said NO RV's either did you?

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In CA the off road fuel is red and if you are a farmer the red fuel checkers come quite often to make sure you are not using it in your road vehicles. AS if anyone would even consider doing such a thing.

Having to reswipe the card reminded me one time I reswiped and the price had gone up.

Don
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys for the explanation on the tractor/reefer issue. That makes a lot of sense. I guess I just didn't think it would be on such an "honor" system at the pump, but come to think of it I could hear the lady from the office talking to several different truckers over the intercom while I was there, taking their commercial information and I wonder if that's what happens if one selects reefer fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Having lived in Maine for most of my life, and having used IRVING refueling stations for most of the time while RVing in Maine, I think that I have a logical explanation for the increased limit for credit cards when getting fuel/gas: Many of the logging trucks in Maine use IRVING stations, and naturally, they require more of a credit card maximum than other vehicles (especially with the cost of fuel/gas in Maine and the Northeast!! IRVING (a Canadian company, by the way, services a lot of large trucks, especially woods related vehicles. I hope that you enjoyed your visit or travel through Maine and helped contribute to my retirement check!!

Bronk
That makes sense Bronk, but I had read here that it was the credit card companies, not the stations, which set those low limits per transaction. Now I'm thinking that's not true.

We're enjoying Maine very much. Beautiful place and very friendly folks. We just moved down here to Kennebunkport after 8 days in Bar Harbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Ricko, Was this at the Auburn Exit of 95? If so those pumps were just changed out this week. We live close by and use that station as well. Irving is in the process of changing their pumps over.

Bet you didn't see a sign at the Cat scales that said NO RV's either did you?

I can't swear to the exit (DW tells me where to go and I obey) but it was certainly on 95. Very nice facility.

Thanks again.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a link to a publication that the Government puts out to truckers about dyed fuel. I also believe that there are two types of dyed fuel, red is low sulfur and blue is high sulfur. Also there have been instances in the past were the penalty for use was waived by the government, but this is usually associated with a Hurricane event, when diesel fuel is in limited supply.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4941.pdf
Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've seen the highway/reefer choice at other truck fuel stations here and there. Seldom see it on the car island diesel pumps cause the commercial guys don't go there.

We fueled at the Irving in Wiscassett, ME, on our way south on US 1 last week. Cheapest place between Bar Harbor and and Kennebunk, by at least $0.10/gallon. Have topay inside to use the truck pumps, though.

As you have discovered, the credit card limit is set by agreement between the fuel station and their credit card service. The amount generally reflects the point at which the fuel station assumes liability for a fraudulent charge, i.e. the credit card company will absorb bad transactions up to that dollar limit. The station can always use a higher limit, but they take the loss if it is a bum card. Credit card fraud is common in some areas and rare in others, so local policies may vary.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote