Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At the two truck stops closest to where I live it is necessary to go in and leave Credit card at the desk before the pump turns on. But at the Hess station the diesel price with card is 4 cents more than posted on the sign. However at the diesel pumps in the front for cars the price is the same as posted and will start without going in with the card, but with $75 limit per card swipe. At the BP station the price at truck pumps is what is posted out front. They are both at the same Interstate exit. Guess where I get my fuel?

2015 Phaeton 40 QBH, 2013 Honda CR-V
FMCA F428578
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your biggest concern with fueling a gasser is access to the pumps. This is especially true when the pump islands are mounted perpendicular to the building. The Next Exit Guide # 1 USA Interstate Exits - Hotels, Gas, Food - the Next EXIT identifies "RV Friendly" gas stations on interstate highways and is a great help.

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
2015 Kia Soul
cenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I buy fuel @ Murphy USA (Walmart). Buy a gift card @ Wally and save $.03/gal use a wally credit card and save $.06/gal.
Some don't have diesel but I do a web search, they have a site, to find one that has diesel and google street view to check access.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of comments here about being able to swipe the same card multiple times. I have not found this to be so with non truck stop stations in my primarily SoCal and up/down the west coast travels. Most often a second swipe of the same card is not allowed - options are go inside for a pre-authorization for additional, or use a differing card.

I use a PenFed card for the discount, but the discount is only available if swiped at the pump.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Depends on the station from what I have seen. There is a Hess in Key Largo that we stop for diesel because it is easy to get to the pumps and out that after the first run through you can't swipe it again. I just go in and give them the card to fill up the rest of the way. At the ones that allow it I don't mind running it through a few times. The truck stops are nice for ease of getting in and out and the Flying J card will sometimes level the field if their price is a little high. I don't mind a couple extra bucks to not have to worry about getting in a bind.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Our MH has a 100 gal tank, but I have one that is much smaller! Waiting for the fuel tank to be nearly empty, requires swiping the cards more often than it does when we fill when the tank is at 1/2. Gives me a chance to stretch my legs and take care of the other tanks as well! At some stations, the limits are as small as $75, and others unlimited. I use my Penfed and can usually swipe it twice before getting the message to see the attendent. Then I swipe another card and finish up. Since Penfed's discount requires it to be at the pump I hate prepaying. I have yet to find any discount greater than it's 5%.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
The CC card company, the state, nor the issuing bank, limit the amount of purchase. It is the merchant and/or his CC receipt processing center that sets the amount limit. I emailed Discover Card several years ago with this question, that was their answer. Their ending statement was: "It is counter-productive for us to limit the amount of purchase on our card".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
I've noticed here in Florida the card limits have moved with the price. Don't know if some limits are on gallons or some other formula. I've been driving a pickup with 35 gallon tank for MANY years (on 3rd truck) and have had to Swype multiple times from the beginning. I can only remember one time that the second swipe was refused and don't remember the cause. I use pilot/flying j as often as possible when we're in our RV (mainly because it's convenient ) and I have a pump start card for the truck lanes and they have no limit.

I wouldn't let anything like fueling drive my decision on what RV to buy. I chose to buy an older pusher but it was personal preference after weighing all the information on my intended use and of course budget.

jeff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Maneuver Space

It is all about maneuver space for our 32' DP. Most regular gas stations sell diesel tooand I have noticed most are a bit cheaper than truck stops. I fuel up with di esel at a local Shell station and usually need to swipe my card at least 3 times. The fuel is cheaper than the truck stop just down the road and I have easy access in and out. But... when we are away from home... it's not always easy to spot a regular gas station for diesel that has good maneuver space. Good Luck!

Fred & Cindy, South Central Missouri
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
Freightliner Owners Club
I usually fill up at 3/4 of a tank +/-. That gets me around 20-25 gallons of fuel about every 200 miles. If we're on the road we like to rest, walk the dogs, check the equipment and stretch a leg and 200 miles is just about the time to do it. At $4.00/gallon I usually never go over the card limit and I get the discount on the card. I always fill up at regular gas stations with no problem, but I have to scope them out real well before I pull in. I'm usually 55-65 feet long either pulling the Liberty or boat and I've never had a problem. Of course there are some stations with great prices but are situated in a manner for cars only. So I look for good prices and a good entrance and exit strategy. I wouldn't stress about it and I wouldn't let it be an issue on the purchase of an RV.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
We drive a 31 ft gasser pulling a wrangler or a Solara on a dolly. We get two times 100-125 on the Amex card, or I can take the card inside and estimate my needs ( they will issue a credit if you a credit if you go under). Pilot has a auto pay card that gives you unlimited fill plus a discount.
We have always thought fueling with a deisel would be easier at the truck stops. We start looking at 1/3 to 1/2 tank, if I am unsure of my ability to get in and out, I keep looking. At first, gassing up can be very intimidating!

.....here, and now, gas is .60 a gallon less than deisel, that is of course, subject to change without notice.
2012 Winnebago Sightseer
2003 Wrangler
...and a dog named Belle
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #26

In addition to entrance and exit the concern I have with buying diesel at a gas station is the possibility the diesel may be a bit old, algae, or dirty. When you fill at a truck stop you are pretty much guaranteed fresh fuel. Probably not a real concern unless you hit the wrong station. Just my thought.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking at Accessibility - Sat View

One thing we do is scout out fuel stops with Google Maps. It isn't always perfect but it weeds out the worst ones pretty quickly. When we are cruising down the road Sandee will use her laptop or my iPad to scout out the possibilities.

Keep in mind that apps like Gas Buddy don't care what size rig you have. When it says DSL can be gotten for cheap, it could be a place with no reasonable access for a big MH. So, when we are in new areas we look for a good sat picture showing large lot and easy access and also pick a couple options "just in case". As an example, in Cape Gerardo, MO we found a low priced DSL outlet and on the map it looked good. When we got there it was on such a big incline I am pretty certain my hitch would have dragged getting into it.

Hey...it works for us...YMMV.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #28

Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
It is all about maneuver space for our 32' DP. Most regular gas stations sell diesel tooand I have noticed most are a bit cheaper than truck stops. I fuel up with di esel at a local Shell station and usually need to swipe my card at least 3 times. The fuel is cheaper than the truck stop just down the road and I have easy access in and out. But... when we are away from home... it's not always easy to spot a regular gas station for diesel that has good maneuver space. Good Luck! Fred & Cindy, South Central Missouri
GasBuddy and Google Earth apps solve that for me.

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote