Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

In the last two years alone I have seen multiple examples that would lead you to believe that CDL stands for Can't Drive a Lick.
two years ago while parked at a pump getting gas in a 31 ft mh had the tanker truck driver back into the side of the mh.
Then last year while fueling up saw one trucker pulling into the gas station cut the corner short and ripped the side of another trailer (heading out), open.
That being said I have had good experiences with most other truck drivers as it always is the few that give everyone a bad name. Same could be said for any demographic.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #16

Why Flying J?

Bakersfield, CA.
FJ diesel, $4.09.
Shell and others, $3.82

Have seen this disparity regularly.

Why FJ?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

FJ every fifth fill-up for me because they sell bulk DEF at the pump.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Why Flying J?
Bakersfield, CA.
FJ diesel, $4.09.
Shell and others, $3.82
Why FJ?
The difference is Chump Change isn't it?

Shell & others don't usually have separate RV Islands for easy in & out, dump stations, RV parking area or easy assess to tire Air.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven
Why Flying J?

Bakersfield, CA.
FJ diesel, $4.09.
Shell and others, $3.82

Why FJ?
I usually aim for Pilot/Flying J so I am not put in the position to have to back up to get out of a fuel island-- impossible with a toad unless I unhook. This only has happened to me once, at a TA, since then I aim for the Flying J or other large truck stops. we do our best to stay out of the way of commercial trucks, these folks are typically on very tight and controlled schedules. So when we fuel, we move into and out of the island as quick as possible.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56

Shell & others don't usually have separate RV Islands for easy in & out, dump stations, RV parking area or easy assess to tire Air.
Don't forget pizza.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
For what it is worth, I have used Love's Truck Islands since starting this adventure three months ago and have never had a problem. Fuel prices with discount card are as cheap or cheaper than anyone else (last fill up in Western OK was 3.83/gallon cash with the card). Also haven't had any trouble with truckers. Pull forward after fill up to transact final business, pick up a coke, and go.

Parking a little tougher as most truck stops I've seen have rigs backing in; obviously a little difficult for us toad pullers.No problems yet in rest areas.

On the other hand, no trucker will yell at me. Just smile and walk away. If accosted, pull your phone out and tell them you're dialing 911 as you think there may be an inebriated trucker at the station.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our experience with big rig drivers has been nothing but positive over the years. I find that there are nim wits in all walks of life and just accept that fact and move on. There are certainly more important and pressing issues to be concerned with in this day and age. Like I say at home, my wife worries about how the bills will get paid, and i worry about world problems such as Korea's proliferation of weaponry and the Greek economy! Just a thought.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
All of the reasons I do not fuel or overnight in a truck stop have been very well stated. If I am never there, I can never complain.
ABSOLUTELY, and AMEN!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #24

The RV lanes frequently do not accept credit cards, even the major ones. That means a trip into the cashier to pay and another trip to get a receipt. I don't blame some of the truckers that lose patience sometimes. In our short experience, most of the drivers have been beyond courteous to us, including the time the cat escaped during fill up. Of course a cute, blond DW looking for her darling cat is an excusable situation. 3 drivers quickly volunteered to corral the errant beast.
toothdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the cashier to page them with their license number and tell them there vehicle has been hit. Then when they show up, have the manager tell them to get out of the RV area.
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

Well, at 27 cents difference, 100 gallons is $27. With a 2 cent J discount, $25.

I buy at regular stations and plan my entrance/exit, just like other MHs: 40 footers, 5-ers. Works for many of us!

I check my tires in the morning.
I dump at my campgrounds.

Everybody has their own way of doing things.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Don't forget pizza.
Yeah!
25 bucks worth of pizza, or....
a camping fee?
Or is it kinda Js camping fee?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started using Mr Fuel stations. I have found them in Missouri on I55 & I70. The fuel prices ARE better than Loves or FJ. $.30 per gallon matters to me on principal alone! The stores have made me feel important with 110 gals as 400 gals. Easy in and out. Station employee at Festus, Mo made me feel important along with the pro drivers that were there.
Still do not know why 9 out of 10 pro drivers refuse to flash lights when being passed. All drivers used to do the feature.
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote