Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
many of us have the Flying J RV rewards card . This allows a pump start . Then you can just pump fuel and then pull up and just make one trip inside to pay .
This is more convenient . Who else has a similar rewards ( pump start ) type of card?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
many of us have the Flying J RV rewards card . This allows a pump start . Then you can just pump fuel and then pull up and just make one trip inside to pay .
This is more convenient . Who else has a similar rewards ( pump start ) type of card?
I use a debit card. No inside trip.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
I have the card that allows me to start the pump, fuel up and drive away. Through Good Sams. Love it!
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by exgman View Post
I have the card that allows me to start the pump, fuel up and drive away. Through Good Sams. Love it!
Me too and 5 cents off to boot.................
Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #33

We made a stop at flyj in chicota ok. I had 45 with car, garry had 40 with pickup and goldwing, gerry had 40 with mc trailer. None of us could make it thru the rv lanesand turn across the pumps and get out so we used the truck lanes. I have a registered rv frequent card I got it to turn on the pump and showed 3.72, gary paid 3.77 with his card not the current rv, and gerry paid 3.84 the non cash full price on the sign. His card would not turn on the pumps or give any discount. Dont tell me they have a user friendly system...
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The difference is Chump Change isn't it?

Shell & others don't usually have separate RV Islands for easy in & out, dump stations, RV parking area or easy assess to tire Air.
Now that's funny
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
When we travel I use several apps looking for prices on diesel. We have taken the 40ft RV and 20ft trailer thru some "normal" car pumps and had few problems. We have not needed to unhook to get in or out of them yet. Last year we found $3.99 or cheaper all across the country. Sometimes it was a Flying J and sometimes not but brand is something that we do not follow for gas or diesel. They all buy from basically a pool for it so it really does not matter where it comes from but it does matter about price and location for us.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Well, at 27 cents difference, 100 gallons is $27. With a 2 cent J discount, $25.

Everybody has their own way of doing things.
I have the Good Sam Flying J card for Lifetime members.

It gives me a .8¢ discount that I pay on line once a month.
Starts the pump without going inside and no shut off limit.

Not all Flying J's are the same price. Today they are 6 Flying J's within a tanks drive from me on my route.
Diesel Prices at them are.
$4.19, $4.23, $4.05, $3.99, $3.96 and $3.79

That is not counting the 15 Pilot stations on the same route that my discount can also be used at. But I prefer using the RV Islands at FJ

Which one do you think I will get Fuel at with my .8¢ discount?

I have also filled up at some Murphy's when they have the 10¢ discount when using a Walmart Gift Card. I can get in and out of them pulling a toad without problems also.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #37

Most of the older Flying J's are almost impossible for us RV'ers who burn gas to get in and out of with our rigs!
Wish the CEO of the Flying J's would go under cover with a motor home, etc and find out for themselves.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Most of the older Flying J's are almost impossible for us RV'ers who burn gas to get in and out of with our rigs!
Are you talking about the ones without RV Islands?
I have had no problem with a gas or DP MH pulling a toad getting in/out of any with RV Islands.

What older FJ location are you posting about?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We've been full-timing for more than 2 years and always use the truck lanes. We have never had a problem with any of the truckers. We always pull forward after fueling and don't take any more time than any other vehicle.

In contrast, yesterday at a Flying J in AZ there were RVs sitting in the only two RV fueling lanes during the entire time I was there. No one appeared to be doing anything to either of the rigs so I assume their owners were inside probably having lunch. The cashier asked me if I knew that in AZ I would have to pay a surcharge for fueling in a truck lane; I told her it was better to do that then to waste time because of discourteous RVers clogging the RV lanes.
I've always fueled in the truck lanes in AZ, new heard of a surcharge or been charged one.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisZ View Post
I've always fueled in the truck lanes in AZ, new heard of a surcharge or been charged one.

Dennis

You may never have heard of it but AZ has a surcharge for OTR trucks built into the price of fuel. It's not immediately evident and if you didn't know it existed you probably never would know you're paying it
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Why Flying J?

Bakersfield, CA.
FJ diesel, $4.09.
Shell and others, $3.82

Have seen this disparity regularly.

Why FJ?
And I've seen it where the price is the same as others, and I've seen it where their price is lower. It varies depending on where you are. It's tough to make generalities since there are so many exceptions.

And it goes both ways: when I do go to a more traditional station, like Shell, and I'm waiting in line at the only island with the only diesel pump, and just as the car ahead (not a diesel) finishes up and I start to pull forward, another car (not a diesel) cuts the line and cuts in front. (DW got out on that one and gave that driver a piece of her mind!) So, for CampDaven's benefit, that's one reason for going to a place like FJ with a dedicated RV area: it can be worth paying a few cents more (although not 27 cents, good thing not all of them are that expensive!)

Quote:
I dump at my campgrounds.
But what about people who boondock or stay at events where there is on-site camping and no dump station?

Quote:
Everybody has their own way of doing things.
Absolutely! Everyone is different and has different needs and desires. There is no one-size-fits-all solution that works for everyone! Not only are people different, but individual trips by the same person can be different. I'm glad there's a variety of choices, and something to keep every person happy, and something that's appropriate for the current trip (towing a toad or not towing, needing to dump or not, needing propane or not, needing a store or restaurant or not...)

-------------------------------------------

But back on topic, I often see a variety of different vehicles in the larger RV spots. I don't typically begrudge the larger trucks (high cube vans, bobtails, local delivery trucks, etc) that are in there. The ones that annoy me are the regular cars that park there, especially when there are open spaces that are even closer to the store and pumps! That's just plain inconsiderate obnoxious.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have asked these questions 2 days ago, as I just did the FL to MI trip, and ended stopping at 3 Pilots simply because I knew I could easily get in and out with my GASSER MH and toad. Do all Pilots have an RV lane? And do the RV lanes always have gas or just diesel? Are the RV lanes out back with the truck lanes or in front with the non-truck pumps. I used my MasterCard ($100 limit per swipe) card and just made it with two swipes of the card once, the next two times I was over $200 so I had to pull out a second card. At the last stop while I was pumping I went in and asked the clerk if I could just leave the card with her and let the pump run, she said "of course we do that but you will find most stations won't". I have found about half of the stations will do that. I am a Good Sam member. Soooo... what card should I get from Pilot if I plan on frequenting them so I can get the discount and not have to keep swiping my card and punching buttons?

I ask because I am planning a 10K mile trip this summer pulling my toad and want to look for stations on the smart phone while still on the road that I know I can get in and out without guessing and I can avoid the credit card issues. Too much stress pulling off on an exit and trying to find an RV friendly gas station.

By the way, all 3 Pilots were cheaper than local stations and didn't pull the nickel upcharge for not using cash I frequently see these days.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote