Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Fueling up at a Flying J yesterday, I noticed

the six long parking spots in the RV/car section, were taken by 6 trucks, actually the tractor part, not the trailers.

Glad I wasn't looking to stay the evening...

Wonder why they weren't in the truck section...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post

Wonder why they weren't in the truck section...
Truck section full when they parked?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

They dropped their trailers in the truck lot, then parked the tractors in the rv area and waddled their fat rear ends up to the buffet line, waddled back to their tractor and passed out.
Seen this many times when I was an over the road trucker. They are to lazy to walk from the truck lot. And some do it out of spite, don't like RV's and RV'ers so they take up the spots.
Just my opinion, but seen it and heard of it many times.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #4

We are on on first trip with our new to us DP. I have heard the stories about how truckers treat RV folks in the fuel line and experienced it first hand. We were waiting in the line for file with a few other truckers and two bays were blogs led during construction. One of the truckers didn't believe why I was waiting and came over and screamed at me. When we eventually got the pump the same guy came in my face and screamed at me for taking a pump. It was late evening and I'm glade he didn't come any closer as he would have got the bad end of my stun gun. I'm not an aggressive person but travel with two kids and don't take any chances.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

No, not at all. This was about 4pm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Truck section full when they parked?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #6

I have used the truck pumps for both the freight liner I used to drive and my current diesel Motorhome. I have never had a problem at the pump although a tractor trailer tried to go around me and didn't quite make it causing $10k worth of damage on our maiden voyage. I guess I have been lucky. Glad you didn't need the stun gun after all. I would have gone to the management and told them what happened. My 100 gallons of fuel are just as important to them as the truckers 300 gallons......
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
We are on on first trip with our new to us DP. I have heard the stories about how truckers treat RV folks in the fuel line and experienced it first hand. We were waiting in the line for file with a few other truckers and two bays were blogs led during construction. One of the truckers didn't believe why I was waiting and came over and screamed at me. When we eventually got the pump the same guy came in my face and screamed at me for taking a pump. It was late evening and I'm glade he didn't come any closer as he would have got the bad end of my stun gun. I'm not an aggressive person but travel with two kids and don't take any chances.
If he was not an independent driver...report him to the company he drives for...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

as a ex trucker there are some asses out there just as there are some rv'ers that are also the bobtails up front are lazy. the guy that yelled at you should have got hit in the mouth. I'm the guy that don't take that type of stuff. they will treat me with resect. the bobtails have there own spot in the back they can park there or I will beat on the sleeper till they wake up and move. they get very mad if you do this lol. most truckers will help you some will not and some just need to stay home

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The only time a trucker said something was when we were bringing the coach we had just bought in AZ back to CA where Thom is working on a contract job. I was driving the truck and he was driving the RV. We stopped at a truck stop, I parked in the car area and walked to where he was waiting in line for diesel with all the truckers. I usually have purple hair cause well I like it. Appearently one (female) got on the CB and was talking about how "I must 'trolling' with my purple hair and how could anyone normal do that and I must be looking for" well you get the idea. Thom got on the CB and told her politely that I was his wife and I did my time in the military and if I wanted to do my hair that colour I have the right in this country. All the other truckers then got on her case and said to leave me alone.
Other than that they have been very nice in the last 10 to 15 years we've had CB's in vehicles.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We've been full-timing for more than 2 years and always use the truck lanes. We have never had a problem with any of the truckers. We always pull forward after fueling and don't take any more time than any other vehicle.

In contrast, yesterday at a Flying J in AZ there were RVs sitting in the only two RV fueling lanes during the entire time I was there. No one appeared to be doing anything to either of the rigs so I assume their owners were inside probably having lunch. The cashier asked me if I knew that in AZ I would have to pay a surcharge for fueling in a truck lane; I told her it was better to do that then to waste time because of discourteous RVers clogging the RV lanes.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

All of the reasons I do not fuel or overnight in a truck stop have been very well stated. If I am never there, I can never complain.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
The cashier asked me if I knew that in AZ I would have to pay a surcharge for fueling in a truck lane; I told her it was better to do that then to waste time because of discourteous RVers clogging the RV lanes.
When did they start that? We've never had to pay one using the trucker's lanes ...... But then again it has been about a year since we've been thru AZ or stayed somewhere in AZ.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We've been full-timing for more than 2 years and always use the truck lanes. We have never had a problem with any of the truckers. We always pull forward after fueling and don't take any more time than any other vehicle.
Ditto... We frequently park in the truck parking after fueling up to walk around & use the restaurant, we have a 42ft coach and never use the RV fueling lanes. This has never been an issue, truckers have always treated us with the same friendliness & respect we show them. Unfortunately there's a-holes everywhere but the majority of truckers have been real nice folks to us.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
When did they start that? We've never had to pay one using the trucker's lanes ...... But then again it has been about a year since we've been thru AZ or stayed somewhere in AZ.
After researching it, it appears that vehicles over 26,000 lbs pay a surcharge in AZ, but it appears that it is not supposed to apply to motorhomes. Apparently at Flying J the RV pumps have a lower diesel price than the price in the truck lanes. I paid $3.80/gal (with my Flying J discount) in the truck lanes which was the price I saw advertised on their signs. If she hadn't said anything I wouldn't have known it would have been cheaper in the RV lanes. Since RV's were blocking those pumps, I'm just as happy that I didn't waste my time waiting for them.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote