Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Fuelpump or fuse

Hi all, I'm new here, just hope I'm doing this right. We bought our first motorhome last Feb. and really enjoy it. We are learning and I'm so happy to find this forum. Now, My problem. I have a Winnabego Vectra diesel, 35', cummins diesel. No fuel to the filters(the one behind the wheels and the one on the side of the engine). Does this model (Kanosha chassis I'm told) have a fuel pump in the tank or is that mechanical aparatus on the side of the block the only pump? If it is an electric pump where is the fuse or relay that operates it? If it is that mechanical one, how can it be fixed? Please help, I sure don't want to drop the tank for nothing.
dieseldale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #2

Seem this is lift pump week , here in the forums. Unless the chassis manufacturer did something , way different , the lift pump won't be in the tank . Both the ISB ( 5.9L ) and ISC ( 8.1L )
used the lift pumps in different ways , one runs continually , the other uses the pump only during start up. So identifying the engine size is important.
In most applications there are 5 fuses feeding the Engine Control Module.
The wiring diagrams for Freightliner show, 3-7.5 amp and 2 10 amp fuses. first thing to check , but unfortunately , the problem is usually the pump.
The other two post , with lift pump issues , have pictures and links to info on checking the pump. I'll get the info and direct you to them.

OK, in the " RV Forums " drop box , go to " Cummins engines " and look for the post " Fuel Manifold Leaking" by Country Fit.
Then in the " Owners Forums " drop box " Alpine Coach Forums " read " Fuel Transfer Pump Voltage Issue " by Tillbuilt.
BTW, Cummins mount the lift pump in the exact same spot on both engines.
But the pump looks way different.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Ok, I'm doing a little remembering here. This is a 1995 5.9b engine. It has the p7200 injector pump. It has a mechanical lift pump on the side of the block that (in this case) feeds from the filter behind the wheels to the filter above it on the block then on to the injector pump. There is no ECM on this model as far as I know. If there is please tell me more. I went back out and looked the fuel pump over and found it only has a large fuel line going in and a smaller steel line going to the filter on the block. When I took the filter off (the one behind the wheels) very little fuel ran out and I could hear fuel gurgling. I assume that was fuel running back to the tank. Tomorrow I'm going to put a little air pressure on the tank and if I get a fuel flow I will change filters and then should be able to determine if it is the pump. If I don't get any fuel flow I will then believe it to be a broken pickup line in the tank. Have I missed anything here. The electrical on this thing is driving me crazy. I can find no fuses or relays for the fuel system. I'll get back with you tomorrow evening when I find more. Thank You for your help and if yopu have mopre I'm sure receptive of it.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Did you mean Oshkosh chassis??? That's the other town in Wisconsin.. Freightliner bought Oshkosh and still has info on the various chassis. They should know about an in tank pump if there is one.

Pensacola Diesel here has the feed pumps. DODGE/CUMMINS 5.9L 88-02 :: FEED PUMPS & LP LIGHT KIT - Pensacola Fuel Injection | Worlds #1 Diesel Rebuilder

I've never done business with them but the RV dealer recommended them to a customer.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

diesldale, MY mistake for not asking what year .
Just that after 2 , 2000 MH's with, electric lift pump issues. I jumped to conclusions.
Does the mechanical lift pump , have the manual prime plunger , similar to that used on Dodges of that vintage. If so you could hook on a vacuum gauge while pressing the plunger.
In 14 years of work on Dodge Cummins , I can only remember replacing 3 mechanical lift pumps, and so many electric pumps that I'm sure that even after 6 years retired , I could replace them with my eyes closed.
Hint , if you do have to replace your lift pump , you have to feel through the hole in the block for the cam shaft lobe and rotate the engine to make sure the cam lobe is at it's lowest point, or you'll never get the mount bolts lined up.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

I got her solved. A couple new filters did the trick. It was a bummer getting it primed. The way it stopped fooled me. In most cases diesels act up (miss, sputter, ect) before they die. I just shut it off here in the yard and a couple days later it just wouldn't start. Thanks for the help. I appreciate any help there is about these things. It also helps the pocket book too.
dieseldale1, winny vectra, 35', diesel pusher.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

You , should cut the filters open to check for algae, if it look like that was the issues you need to treat the fuel tank and will probably need filters again soon.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

Yup, It had algea in the bottom of the filter. It is in the water drain. Where do you get that stuff?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Most every diesel fuel conditioner has a certain level of algaeside, in it .
Some members say that ATF has enough , in it to do the job.
But if you have a truck stop near by they will have it. Auto parts stores, even Walmart . I put about 8oz in every time I get fuel , cheaper than filters.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #10

I use BioBar JF to rid and prevent microbe growth. It is popular among marine and aviation interests. West Marine has it, among others.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #11

I just went to the parts place and got "clear-diesel" fuel & tank cleaner. Anyone have experience with it?

Tags
fuel, fuse