Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #1

Full Body Paint

03 Allegro Bay, workhorse, some real paint, mostly gel coat with peeling graphics. We like the motorhome, only 31k miles, I would like to have it professionally painted either a contrasting color or perhaps even all one color and forgo the graphics which need to be replaced anyway.
Any ideas or thoughts??
Thanks
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

I don't know what your colors are now but I think if you ever plan to sell it don't do it.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

If you really like the motorhome Go for it. Keep in mind a quality full body paint is not inexpensive. On one of these forums someone posted photos of their paint upgrade.
Here is another.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I have seen a few RV's that have been repainted professionally. They came out really nice and made the RV look new. I think the key is to have it done right and don't cut corners. I'm sure it will be a plus when it's time to sell it.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
How much was that paint? I've heard full body paint and gel coats can run up to $20k on a Motorhome...
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently had the occasion to watch the redo of an 2001 Allegro at Red Bay. Bruce Deaton came and removed all the graphics late one afternoon. The next day they took the coach to Bruce's shop where he polished and coated it with a finish of some kind, then replaced the graphics. It looked brand new when he finished. I didn't ask the price but the owners volunteered it- $3,000. For a full body paint job it was going to be more like $15,000.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
For full body paint, $20K is a good ball park number. Depends on the shop, how many colors and when you want it done equals a real price. A hint here is Northeastern Indiana in the winter is one of the cheapest places around. The shops do excellent work.

Check out:
Precision Painting http://www.precisionpaintingrv.com/
Mike's Custom Painting Mike's Custom Painting Inc. Home Page

In the winter you might full body paint (multiple colors) for under 15K.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You can get a top quality, 4-color full body paint job for $20k - that's about what it vcosts on a high end coach. That gives you multiple coats plus a top clear coat, with hand-rubbed intermediate layers. But you can get a decent job done for around $10-$12k at independent shops. Here are a couple places to get estimates:

Custom Paint & Auto Body in Red Bay, AL.
Owner Bruce Deaton (256-356-5695)

Precision Painting - Bremen, IN

Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen IN

Mike's Collision, Wilmington, NC.

I have personal experience with Mikes Collision of Wilmington and have seen the other Mike's (Bremen) work first hand and it is excellent. The other two are referrals from other happy customers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #9

We have a 2000 38' DSDP that's been repainted. It now has 4 colors and with the clearcoat looks like new(actually better!!!). Had it done at Precision Paint in Bremen. I've had many people come up to me and ask how I keep it so Shiney. I tell them it's the clearcoat. But the real kicker is when I tell them it's a 2000 and I see the amazement on their faces. I'd definately recommend Precision Paint. Another place I wouldn't have a problem with is Creative Coach in Lakeland Fl. I've seen their work and it's also top knotch.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Ditto on precision! jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1252.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	15876  
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #11

We bought a 04 Phaeton in July. The graphics on the PS were in poor condition. Tiffin had replacement sets for about $2k! The you had to pay for removal and replacement. I was referred to Bruce Deaton's shop in Red Bay, AL We called and then drove up them. Very talented fellow. Removed ALL the graphics, helped us pick you nicer colors, then painted them on and clear coated. Excellent job for only $3K.
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #12

Paint'n on the cheap

I'm not a painter, but a friend has a body shop and I provide the grunt labor; sanding, masking, and most of the prep work. We repainted the front and rear cap in 3 colors plus clearcoat and it cost me $750.00 including paint. We matched the original 2001 Sportscoach paint from the paint codes in the coach; 3 Lexus paints from various cars, and now we will start on the sides. The problem is twofold, the paint is very expensive, and the labor takes me forever. If you hire all of this done,make sure you are not "upside down" in what you have invested in your coach. Yes, the end results are very impressive, and people think the coach is much newer than it is. DACOTAH
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint