Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #15

I have seen pictures of Safari Treks painted in Mexico with stripes and clear coat. The facilities are primitive, but the quality is very good, and the cost is very low. The location was said to be just across the border.

However achieved, full body paint and clear coat is a significant improvement over vinyl stripes and bare side panels (no offense to those who have this configuration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
You could possibly get a full size car painted for that. Most full body motorhome paint processes are three to five different colors. Considering the time to prep the motorhome (probably 2-3 man days just to remove stuff like handles, awnings, locks, etc), lay out the graphics, painting, clearing and then the wet sanding and buffing begins.

Precision had my friends unit 15 days and like I said earlier, it looks fantastic.

$12,000-$15,000 sounds like a fair price to me.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Yikes! I would get 3 or 4 quotes. Think that I've been seeing around $8000 for a full body paint job. One place in California was around that I believe.

In Mexico it would probably be $5500.
i got a quote for 7g in socal. heard 3g in mexico, but a little uncomfortable to bring it there...

Old 07-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I think it's all going to depend on the size of your coach, how much removal and reset of parts, masking and intricacy of the paint job and accent colors.
It wouldn't be inconceivable to see a $3000-$5000 variance for these reasons alone.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anyone here ever attempted to do it themselves? I was looking for a thread about it.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a coach with value it is not a do it yourself job. Things can go wrong very fast and the results are something you have to live with unless you pay someone to correct it. On the other hand it can be done if you have the equipment and space as well as the knowledge. A good understanding of the paint needed to do the job. It has to be done with a 2 stage paint [base coat clear coat] anything else is not a true 2 stage paint. Acrylic urethane 2 step is a great paint for coaches. A paint that has a catalyst that has to be added to the color is not a 2 stage paint it is a single stage paint. A single stage paint is nothing but problems on a multi color paint [graphics] because of thickness and masking required to make it look right. Correct Paint guns as well as compressor all make the overall job come out as good as you hoped it would. It's alot of work, which is why the shops charge what they do. A older coach and time as well as help it can be a satisfying job.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Hell, 12-15k is cheap ! Have you seen the price of good automotive paint lately ?

I would love to see the finished product, please post pictures.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #21

I would definately recommend Precision paint. Had my 2000 DSDP done there. 4 colors and 3 coats of clear. Unbelievable job. People can't believe our coach is 12yrs. old.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
If you have a coach with value it is not a do it yourself job. Things can go wrong very fast and the results are something you have to live with unless you pay someone to correct it. On the other hand it can be done if you have the equipment and space as well as the knowledge. A good understanding of the paint needed to do the job. It has to be done with a 2 stage paint [base coat clear coat] anything else is not a true 2 stage paint. Acrylic urethane 2 step is a great paint for coaches. A paint that has a catalyst that has to be added to the color is not a 2 stage paint it is a single stage paint. A single stage paint is nothing but problems on a multi color paint [graphics] because of thickness and masking required to make it look right. Correct Paint guns as well as compressor all make the overall job come out as good as you hoped it would. It's alot of work, which is why the shops charge what they do. A older coach and time as well as help it can be a satisfying job.
Thanks for all the great info on the paint!! I would definitely first use a base coat and then a clear coat. Here is the thing, I have an older 1990 Gas Class A Bounder (34s). It was initially used to live in more than to travel in. It has only seen 7000 miles but it has been sitting outside, exposed to the CA sun for 22yrs. The outside is terribly faded and decals pealing off. I put the over all value of my RV at maybe $10K-$12K. I think I could get that because of the low mileage and it has brand new tires and a new fridge cooling unit, 3 back up cams added, 2 new interstate 6 volts, new air bag shocks and all the appliances are working, generator is good to go. the engine still runs excellent. It also has extra water options and 2 entrance doors (a private one in the bedroom). But it doesn't have any slides or anything and I wonder if it's worth spending thousands on a paint job. Also, I think that even a flawed paint job would be a huge improvement over it's current state. I do have a large driveway, and a paint gun but I have never done auto painting before. I was interested in seeing if anyone at IRV2 had done it themselves and how it came out.
I should say that I'm planning on using this coach. I don't want to sell it. I'm still young and not retired, and well, what can I say, I can't afford a six figure DP. I can only slobber over all the beautiful coaches that so many members here have. Mine is rather old but it's cheap to insure and registrar and not as heavy as the newer ones. To be honest, the only way I can afford to really own one at all is because this was left to me in a will. I certainly can't afford to buy a newer one in the near future. I really haven't decided yet if fixing up the exterior is really worth it for this project. I can drive an ugly coach, no problems, haha. I have been fixing this up and have about $1500 or maybe $2000 (in a few months, haha) that I could put into the exterior. Maybe enough to buy paint?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Since you have pegged a likely market value and indicated that you intend to keep the rig anyway, you might consider using a marine paint that you can apply to improve the exterior appearance.

A neutral color like white or beige would show the least defects.

Some folks do their boats with rollers or brush.

I have sprayed 2 part Clear Coat from a rattle can on the rear and side of my rig. The most physical work is to sand, buff, and polish the Clear Coat to get rid of the orange peel effect in the clear coat and emphasized by the clear coat shine.

The automotive paint results are fantastic when done in a well equipped shop by experienced folks. The marine paints might be more forgiving.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
If i needed to paint a whole coach, i'd for sure be vacationing "south of the border."

I've great respect for out mexican nieghbors. I use them whenever i need a contractor up here, because they are honest, hard working, and don't think thier fruit of the looms are gold plated.

Example: last weekend, we were hit by big storms, microbusts, wgatever... I lost 11 trees! The mexican company bid $1900, and said they'd get it done that weekend. 2 american companies bid a grand more, and said it would be a week before they could get to it....
U don't want to guess who got the job?

Our south of the border nieghborts work very hard. They are religous men who love their families. I'd be looking for paint in TJ in a heartbeat.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #25

Precision Painting is Terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Did you know Precision does all the painting of new Entegra coaches? They really are excellent to deal with on custom work.
Take a look at my file Picture. I wish it showed the continuation of the design on the extended slide outs. The three coats of clear, sanded and buffed result in a super smooth finish and you can't feel the design like you can on a cheaper paint job. Price is $ 12-15 for the coach. Trailers about 25% of that. Best of Luck.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
i got a quote for 7g in socal. heard 3g in mexico, but a little uncomfortable to bring it there...
I live in NOR CAL and a auto painter by trade and let me tell you it would cost me at my price just for the paint a high quality paint that is base and clear with 4 to 5 colors a easy $5000 Bucks just for all the materials so if someone say 7 to 10 grand i would be a little worried .... 12 to 15 grand sounds more like it and i have done some big trucks which is comparable in size and let me tell you tons and tons of work with a crew of 4 or 5 guys all working on it at once thats a heck of a lot of labor and not much profit....
Remember the old saying
"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

Just my 2 cents
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric65 View Post
I live in NOR CAL and a auto painter by trade and let me tell you it would cost me at my price just for the paint a high quality paint that is base and clear with 4 to 5 colors a easy $5000 Bucks just for all the materials so if someone say 7 to 10 grand i would be a little worried .... 12 to 15 grand sounds more like it and i have done some big trucks which is comparable in size and let me tell you tons and tons of work with a crew of 4 or 5 guys all working on it at once thats a heck of a lot of labor and not much profit....
Remember the old saying
"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

Just my 2 cents
I owned a body shop until about 6 years ago and you're expressing my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine quality paint materials not costing in the $5000 range and the labor involved in the prep has to be several man days. Unless paint material in Mexico is like prescription drug costs in the states, I would truly be concerned with a $3000 job.

To the poster thinking of doing this in your driveway, be prepared to have a paint surface covered in dust and dirt and to have neighbors for blocks around up in arms about paint overspray on their homes and cars.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I owned a body shop until about 6 years ago and you're expressing my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine quality paint materials not costing in the $5000 range and the labor involved in the prep has to be several man days. Unless paint material in Mexico is like prescription drug costs in the states, I would truly be concerned with a $3000 job.

To the poster thinking of doing this in your driveway, be prepared to have a paint surface covered in dust and dirt and to have neighbors for blocks around up in arms about paint overspray on their homes and cars.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I was thinking of putting up a tarp tent anchored to the roof of my garage, which is higher than the motor home, and surrounding the motor home with large tarps. I would use polls in the ground to hold the corners together, I might have to create a primitive frame to hold it together. It would be about all I could do to keep dust out, but I wonder if even that would be good enough. I have an extra large stone driveway and my nearest neighbors are quite a distance away (maybe 1/2 mile) in only one direction so that wouldn't be a problem. However, I was hoping to buy all the paint I would need for close to $1500-$2000, but perhaps that is low? Consider that this is an old coach, with no slides, and an awesome paint job will not raise the value of it much more than a weak paint job will. It is 34 feet long with lots of windows on all sides with 2 entry doors (no window on the back one).The sides and cab cap are all fiberglass and need to be painted. But it has a rubber roof which I was thinking of using some kind of rubber compound, like Dicor sealant, or liquid rubber on instead of painting it, it should come out white, hmmmmm, do you think it would need to be painted?

I should say that the painting idea is still in the "thinking about it" stage, haha, I've been just trying to learn more about what is involved and then I can make a decision that makes sense for me. I don't care if it doesn't come out perfect, but if it comes out respectable it would be a huge improvement over doing nothing. But, hey, I still have a flat screen that is ready to go in. This is my first motor home and I'm tying to learn everything I can.

Tags
paint