Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Full Slide Awning danger

Experienced a storm that I thought would rip the awning from my drivers side full awning. Even moderate wind lift it like a kite, the movement and noise is frightening, what are you guys doing about this?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

In a storm or in strong wind always retract it.
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

Does the awning not have a wind sensor or vibratiion sensor?
That may not help with a sudden gust of strong wind but those don't happen that often without at least some lower velocity build up.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think he is talking about the slide topper awning over his full wall slide, not the patio awning.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #5

I have seen people throw a strap or rope over them lengthwise and tie them down in windy weather.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually happens in the side to the wind. I pull that slide in. On both my previous and current coach when pulling in the slide the topper may not fully retract, instead remaining partially billowed in the wind. Soonest the wind abates to where the spring can overcome the wind the topper then retracts.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I too have seen ropes thrown over the slide topper awning however has anyone tried weights on either end to keep most air from lifting each end? seems like a couple bricks maybe wrapped in duc tape would do the job. Any thoughts on that?
jameshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #8

I pull mine in if a bad storm is coming. Not worth potential damage.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #9

I laughd when guy in so texas PUT BEACH BALLS under each end of slide topper he said wife does not like flapping noise disrupts tv,

Worked
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk View Post
Experienced a storm that I thought would rip the awning from my drivers side full awning. Even moderate wind lift it like a kite, the movement and noise is frightening, what are you guys doing about this?
Never leave the RV with awning out. Don't leave it out at night if there is ANY chance of WX.
CapnJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #11

We have a traveler with us that really is nervous when the slide toppers start making flapping noises in the wind. (Our dawg!) So I'm one of the guys you see tossing ropes over the toppers to cinch them down a bit in moderate winds.

And one safety tip. I have one set quickly attached to the underneath slide arms with some of those 18" big rubberized twist'ies. I did not want to need to bring the slide in quickly in a storm front moving in, and need to undo knots to remove the line. Takes me all of 10 seconds to unhook and start pulling the line off. The one time we had to do so quickly (Another weather app alert, plus it was daylight and we could see the dark sky heading out way.), the wife was bringing the front slide in as I was removing the rear's line.

On this storm front blowing thru, I watched a Winnebago's slide topper/window awning combination (With the window awning not extended.) repeatedly unwind the awning the wrong way, with the slide topper really taking a beating. (This was outside of Custer State Park, and the couple had gone off for a day trip.) Their poor dog was seen up on the dashboard, he was too spooked by the noise. As well as the hail too.

For us, in heavy winds/gusty storms, the front big deep slide coms in. The rear with line over it, usually handles storms pretty well.

We've brought the rear in another time just before a microcell burst (Front was already in...). The Weatherbug and Weather.com apps alarms both came on within 15 seconds of each other. 1:45AM. We could see the storm coming at us on radar's future cast. And opening the front shade, we could see the lightening show heading our way over the Missouri River (We were 10-15 miles South of Bismarck, ND.). So brought the rear slide in. Went out and unplugged the coach form the power pole. And we then road out a very bumpy/loud/hail bursting-rain showering 15-20 minutes. Many trees knocked down, and a fiver at close by campground was tipped on it's side. Two gents that were riding bikes along the Missouri Trail, were sleeping in one men tents. One of them was picked up and tossed inside of his tent, about 10-15' into the air. Hitting the branch of a tree. He was not hurt, but sure shaken up... We left out car open for them to sleep in the recliner seats. And also left the coach door open for them too, and told them to please come into the coach when the next front came thru in about 60-75 minutes. The spent about two hours in the car, but the next front was plenty tame in comparison. Next day as they were heading gout on their bicycles, they said they were going to splurge and spend the night at a hotel in Bismarck!

Back to side toppers. I do use a 1/4" soft nylon line, and have it only pulled down on the side edges by maybe a 3" or so depression. On the rear bedroom smaller slide, this keep water from pooling. And it also helps on the front, reducing the polling of rain water quite a bit. I keep inspecting the slide topper fabric for any signs of wear (none so far in about two years), and may shift to a wider strapping fabric material in the future, probably a 1" if I make this change.

Everyone seems to come up with what works for them on these sorts of things. And learn from each other... which I appreciate it!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #12

I bring the slides in when the wind picks up. I also bring them in when we are planning to be gone for the day. Takes me like 5 minutes and removes any concern over wind/hail or other weather events while away.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have listened to mine banging away during many a storm. I have thought to bring in the slide on a couple occasions but never have. Even through the worst of storms, absolutely no damage to the slide topper material. By the sounds of things, you think it was going to be torn off but when you consider it is cushioned by it being spring loaded, I don't see much chance of damage.

Tags
awning, slide