Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #1

Full time cold weather living issues

I am in days off been repairing and getting the rv tight when all of a sudden the fridge stops cooling!

I know these fridges are absorption style use heat to get going and being tonight -30 going to have issues!

Bought my firan raven 1994 class a this fall and loving the rv lifestyle!
Wishing I was in warmer weather but work had dragged me north to the oil patch, thus I have up my city life for a country setting in a rv living in it full time with 2 cats.

I have replaced so far to this date much to list.
Biggest thing was the furnace fan motor it turned into a gong show due to having a new motor sent up to me and it being a dud out of the box!
So yesterday the 3rd motor in and I have silence again,
My new issue is the Dometic Americana rm 2652 not cooling. Using shore power
It's kind of hard I troubleshoot it had been working pretty good these past months in the cold weather no issues till last few days!
First my arctic package switch broke and I'm not sure if that fuse is linked to the fridge or not?
We had power outages 4x that same night and when it went back on everything seemed fine. Morning realized the fridge was defrosting items and it wasn't cold both freezer and bottom. I shut the main gas valve off at the back of the fridge off after checking for leaking, the 2 fuses in the back of the control panel and then tried the trouble light with bulb and sealed off the lower vent to try to get some heat in the area. It doesn't seem to be working!

Am I on the right track thinking that the -25 weather is going to give me issues trying to get my fridge to cool?
Anyone else can give me some ideas where to start troubleshooting ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You are surlly a brave person to rv in that weather, keep the snow off the roof vent and here is what I found quick, you did not mention what kind of fridge you had?
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- With RVs increasingly being used during the winter for full-time living or recreation and at work sites, users previously needed makeshift solutions to maintain proper refrigerator operation at temperatures below 32 F. So, Norcold is now producing Cold Weather Kits that allow RV refrigerators to operate in ambient temps down to 0 F.
Beginning Oct. 1, factory-installed Cold Weather Kits are standard on Norcold's popular N641.3 and N841.3 gas absorption models. SKU numbers do not change. A kit ( No. 634913) is also available separately to the aftermarket to retrofit Norcold 6-, 8-, 10-, 12- and 17-cubic foot models.

For more information, call 800.543.1219, e-mail info@thetford.com or visit www.thetford.com.
SOURCE: Thetford Corporation press release

Old 11-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

Yikes! Staying in -30F is not going to be fun.

I spent 3 winters up in Fairbanks, Alaska but I never stayed in my RV. Always found a cabin or apartment to stay in. So I'm no expert but I wonder if you might consider getting a small 8cuft home refer to tide you over for a while. Maybe that would give you time to get that kit mentioned above and installed?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #4

My new issue is the Dometic Americana rm 2652 not cooling.
I found a guy last night who rebuilds these units he says 70% water mix in the cooling unit this it's froze, is anything avail for these fridges ? Cold weather kits?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Lame just did a search on my iPhone and norcold is the only manufacturer to supply these kits to select fridges and I have to have the dometic.
Great.…

I get paid a live out daily up here 170 cash a day I am living in this Rv no matter what!
The fridge was in the back of my mind but with cats shower leaking ad furnace fan going x3 separate incidents it's just a hurdle!
I hope I can warm the coils up enough to get it started again.
So far it's -18 snowing heavy and it's so comfy warm inside!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Can you put a small ceramic heater or light bulb behind the fridge and limit the draft?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #7

It might be easier to get some heat tape and wind it around the coils and bulb, top to bottom. Can't imagine how you'd arrange a heater so it would work for you...unless you built a platform for it. Or maybe bungee corded it somehow.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycky View Post
Lame just did a search on my iPhone and norcold is the only manufacturer to supply these kits to select fridges and I have to have the dometic.
Great.…

I get paid a live out daily up here 170 cash a day I am living in this Rv no matter what!
The fridge was in the back of my mind but with cats shower leaking ad furnace fan going x3 separate incidents it's just a hurdle!
I hope I can warm the coils up enough to get it started again.
So far it's -18 snowing heavy and it's so comfy warm inside!
Where are you? Damn that is cold! Are you spending all winter where you are at? Drilling? how deep is the snow?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I realize that your options are limited. But I'd be real careful on adding heat tape, light bulbs, and heaters in a tight space. Make sure you smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in top working order and have new batteries, a inspected fire extinguisher, and an escape plan.
Good luck and happy camping
Old 11-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #10

Well I tried it all today while the snow fell (safely)
I used a blow dryer stuck it in pointed towards the coils upwards sealed the bubble wrap foiltech down over the lower vent and let her rip for hour and half and seems my freezer had a frost on it few hours later! I pulled the hair dryer out btw lol !
I hardwired the heater to the fridge bypassing the control board and it worked but figured the coils were froze or geled up!
Hope by morning the fridge is back to normal temp!
I am going to swap out the control board with a dinosaur board ASAP
I think it might be hooped!
I would guess the fridge is going to be working extra hard in the cooler weather
I have shut my main gas off to the fridge and if shore power kicks off again I don't run the risk of gas turning on with vent closed! So thank god my fridge is fine I think…

It's been a wacky month by the end of winter this rv will be new again and by te time I am done it will be Reno ' d inside to my likings!
So far the list is extensive for break downs in this beast!
Furnace motor x2. 3rd motor was a charm, shower leak easy fix that I had to tear the whole bathroom apart to get to week later fixed, all the things you don't want breaking in the middle of winter to go going!

I'm about 2 hrs above slave lake Alberta
Red earth creek Alberta
It's been pretty solid for cold here last month for sure.

http://photobyfish.tumblr.com/
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #11

The fridge is like brand new again…
Love it when things just fix themselves
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #12

We had the same thing happen to our Norcold a few years ago in Chicago, and I sure didn't give it credit for fixing itself.

I can't remember all the details but we did basically the same thing you did, although I think the hair dryer didn't work well enough so we used a small space heater after that. Once we got it running again, we made sure it was on electric, hung a trouble light in there and blocked off the outside vent with cardboard, and it continued to work.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #13

That's great, Jaycky. One thing about these older rigs, the electrical connections, over the years, might have loosened up a bit. Many places in the rig. Next day off it might be a good use of time to wiggle, tighten, R&R, & inspect every connection you can get to.

With my '94, I fought with an intermittent that caused the GFI to blow repeatedly. Turned out to be a rotten patio 120V outlet. Then I had a factory installed, and too small, wire nut drop off and a hot wire short against metal in the electrical CB panel in an overhead cabinet. Smoke and fire for a few seconds. Then in the refer access panel outside, corrosion caused me to replace the control board when I didn't need to. Turned out it was just that the thermocouples connection was corroded. And I've had to repeatedly replace the plug head on the end of the shore power cord because high draw causes them to overheat and the plastic melts if the parks outlet is a little loose. You might consider getting a spare from Home Depot.

Since you'll be depending on a sound electrical system staying in that cold, maybe preventative maintenance would be in order. Can't be to prepared.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #14

True enough!
I have gone over a lot of the electrical I can get at.
I am looking forwards to Reno ing the rig bit by bit allowing me access to areas I cannot get at!

Everyday I find something that picks my Mellon and the list grows.
Everything into surge protection right now not sure what to look into but searching the topic heavy getting feedback.