Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Full time living for a Pilot?

Currently I'm lower hour pilot building time, but I'm older so I want some solidly in my life. So I'm thinking about buying a 40' Toyhauler so I'll always have my home no matter where I'm transferred. Plus I'll have my motorcycles with me at all times. Any advice, words of caution? I'm still putting the idea together and looking at costs. The biggest problem I have is while in California there are few places to park for longer period, cheap!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

If you are building time to get hired as a commercial pilot, my advice is find something else to do.

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are already flying for a living there are lots of people who park in an airport lot at the end of 25L in LAX and use there RV as a crash pad.

If you are building time to get a job that wouldn't work.

As far as the advice to look for something else to do, I disagree. This is, I believe, one of the best times in a long time to be starting out in a historically very cyclical industry. There has been a lot of stagnation for the last ten years or so but that is in the process of changing. And since I still need to work it is certainly not a bad place to be. I still complain about some things but really have nothing to complain about.

It has allowed DW and I to spend lots of time in the RV on the road as long as I am near an airport to commute to work.

Good luck.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm retired but my GF has been a flight attendant.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Oops. Hit the send too soon. My GF has been a flight attendant for 13 years, and right now her airline is hiring. It's a good time to be flying! On the other hand, even after 13 years, she's only in the middle of the pack seniority wise. But, her schedule is flexible and it gives us plenty of time for RV'n!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a single friend who lived out of his pickup while flying a full schedule each month. He loved to camp and travel, so when he needed to go to work he parked in the nearest airport parking lot and commuted to his base for his trip. IIRC, he did this for 5-6 years, until he found a wife and "settled down".
I realize that a toy hauler would be more inconvenient and costly to park for longer periods, but the idea is the same. If you want to do it, do it!

I haven't kept up with the industry's hiring since I retired five years ago, but if you have the desire to fly for an airline go for it. It was the best decision I could have made, after retiring from the USAF.

Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
If you are building time to get hired as a commercial pilot, my advice is find something else to do.
Too Late!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Been there done that. The typical low hour pilot building time towards CPL, CFI, ATP etc, typically lives off of Ramen Noodles. You must have $$$ in the bank to be able to drive a Toyhauler with toys around the country building those not-so-cheap hours. Sounds really fun to me and an adventure for sure, but make sure you can afford to fix stuff on the Class A that inevitably breaks all the dang time.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwky View Post
Been there done that. The typical low hour pilot building time towards CPL, CFI, ATP etc, typically lives off of Ramen Noodles. You must have $$$ in the bank to be able to drive a Toyhauler with toys around the country building those not-so-cheap hours. Sounds really fun to me and an adventure for sure, but make sure you can afford to fix stuff on the Class A that inevitably breaks all the dang time.
I'm a independent instructor, making ok $$ but was a former construction executive so credit is good. Just o old not to have a "home". Plus I have all the toys from my previous life, the toy hauler note will be less then my rent in San Diego!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look into joining the Elks. They have RV space at a lot of the lodges around the country and most of them have storage space.
Camping at an Elks lodge costs $10 to $20 a night.. You have to be a member and the dues vary from lodge to lodge but are between $100 and $200 a year. Mine is $128.

If you haven't done any RVing I'd suggest renting a unit for a week before you purchase anything. You'll soon learn what to look for in an RV.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now is the best time I can remember for a young aspiring pilot. Lots of retirements in the next 10 years so the hiring window is open now with hiring continuing for the forseeable future. Good luck, follow that dream. I spent my entire adult life looking out that cockpit window and I never got bored. Good luck son...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
"the toy hauler note will be less then my rent in San Diego"

This may be true, but do not forget to add Depreciation to your costs. It can be a significant cost each year on a MH.

During 11 years, we have incurred about $8,000 of depreciation in value each year. And we started with a 7 year old rig.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Look at monthly rates in local parks. In San Diego we met a lot of young military families who did exactly the same thing. You can stay at a nice park like Santee Lakes for $650/mo plus electric, still a lot cheaper than most rents. They allow 6 month stays after which you have to move for 2 weeks. When we were staying there our next door neighbors were a young military family plus child who lived fulltime in their toy hauler. If you have flexibility in your schedule you can even look at Workamping to get the site for free. Many of the regulars in Santee did just that.