Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I wanted to mention WiFi it has been my limited experience that there are three types of wifi
Free usually in most parks if you get free wifi it is worth what you pay for it

Pay Better wifi than free but usually very expensive

Cheap Pay or Free Very good wifi for cheap or free these are very rare.

if you need wifi get a provider and a smart phone. Prices on data usage are changing weekly it seems like. My wife and I have buisnesses that need good wifi coverage. We investigated last year on air cards etc and the advisor for our cell phone service asked us why. Each smart phone can power 5 computer wifi. They looked at our rate and we had never used 1gig of our 3 gig plan. If we used more then it was only a small fee for each gig over. Now with two of us we rarely go over a gig never hit 2 gigs. Last week we changed our plan because the new ones were cheaper. The new plan did not get changed correctly and when we called to see why they had a promotion on that gives us a 10 gig plan cheaper. If you are doing movie streaming then disregard what I am saying. But if you want wifi to facebook, or just look up campsites, areas of local interest etc then just use your smart phone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #16

If you have never full timed before you may want to have an exit plan if the like style is not for you. Can you get back into a stick house? Or some sort of stick dwelling where you would be happy if all doesn't turn out hunky dory full timing?

Unexpected things can happen.
Health
Bored
etc.

I just got bored and gave it up after 4 years. I needed elbow room. Couldn't handle neighbors so close in RV parks. We met some really great people during that adventure but also met some sad situations where full timers had dumped their life savings into an RV had health problems, RV was old and had lots of problems and they couldn't get out.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Understand the itchy feet...we've had sub 70 cloudy days here in Central FL for all but three days out of the last 30 days. I'm thinking of bugging out early and head to the Southwest.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If you have never full timed before you may want to have an exit plan if the like style is not for you. Can you get back into a stick house? Or some sort of stick dwelling where you would be happy if all doesn't turn out hunky dory full timing?

Unexpected things can happen.
Health
Bored
etc.

I just got bored and gave it up after 4 years. I needed elbow room. Couldn't handle neighbors so close in RV parks. We met some really great people during that adventure but also met some sad situations where full timers had dumped their life savings into an RV had health problems, RV was old and had lots of problems and they couldn't get out.
Bored isn't in our vocabulary. We hiking, fish, golf, tour the area. I feel if your bored doing this you will be just as bored in a stick house. We don't stay in private campgrounds because of the close quarters. State parks plenty of room. In 5 years we have never meet anyone who full times that doesn't enjoy it.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #19

Every one has their own opinion on being bored. The DW & I have too many hobbies that can't be packed into an RV. Plus living on a ranch in rural WY is like camping every day. For example, I doubt butchering an elk on the table in my RV would work out that well with the DW or a forest ranger. I have a 30 X 50 shop that is going to be expanded to 55 X 50 this spring which accommadates many of our hobbies plus our RV. For me driving to Yellowstone park is just like driving to a crowded town. It is packed with people in the summer. Now I do realize years ago when I lived and worked in Los Angeles getting away to a campground like Yellowstone park was a pretty awesome adventure. There are times when we actually miss that old hustle bustle and go back to crowded areas. I have to admit they have some great restaurants in those large crowded areas. When we hit town we wine and dine almost every night. After 3 or 4 months we need rural country and quiet.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
WOW, what great perspecitves shared here. Makes me look forward to retirement
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #21
SCS

Tiffin Owners Club
We started in September with one goal, follow the sun, this has been a tuff winter to get this done!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We go full time in our Winnebago Sightseer in June this year. Last year it was just a dream I looked forward to but as the day draws closer I am stressing over preparations, fear of failure, and my choice of a 6 year old gas powered motorhome. I follow many full timer blogs and frequent the forums which boosts my confidence and eases my fears. But I am still stressed about it all.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
We go full time in our Winnebago Sightseer in June this year. Last year it was just a dream I looked forward to but as the day draws closer I am stressing over preparations, fear of failure, and my choice of a 6 year old gas powered motorhome. I follow many full timer blogs and frequent the forums which boosts my confidence and eases my fears. But I am still stressed about it all.
You need to sit down and plan. Back in the 60s when I was a lot younger I owned a TC. I dreamed of the day I could retire off the grid in natl forests and on BLM land. After all that is where we camped. In the 80s I got a 34' MH. Whoa! Big enough to full time in but too big to get into those great places any more. After burying my MH up to the chassis on one trip I started getting back to the real world of being realistic. What ever you do you need an exit plan first. If you need an exit plan to pull your RV into a Pilot station you certainly need one for how you are going to spend your retirement life. Things change in life. What ifs is a good idea. Just don't jump into full timing or anything else without an exit plan. Just one example: I always washed my RV at home. Ooops, many rv parks don't allow that. Ok hire it done. I always changed my own oil and lubed my vehicles. Many RV parks don't allow that. Ok hire it done. Are these minor things going to bust my budget? A lot of planning is needed.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post

You need to sit down and plan. Back in the 60s when I was a lot younger I owned a TC. I dreamed of the day I could retire off the grid in natl forests and on BLM land. After all that is where we camped. In the 80s I got a 34' MH. Whoa! Big enough to full time in but too big to get into those great places any more. After burying my MH up to the chassis on one trip I started getting back to the real world of being realistic. What ever you do you need an exit plan first. If you need an exit plan to pull your RV into a Pilot station you certainly need one for how you are going to spend your retirement life. Things change in life. What ifs is a good idea. Just don't jump into full timing or anything else without an exit plan. Just one example: I always washed my RV at home. Ooops, many rv parks don't allow that. Ok hire it done. I always changed my own oil and lubed my vehicles. Many RV parks don't allow that. Ok hire it done. Are these minor things going to bust my budget? A lot of planning is needed.
DW and I have a planning meeting every Thursday afternoon. Sometimes we meet at the kitchen table and sometimes at our favorite Chinese restaurant. We discuss what we have done, what needs to be done and when will it be done. We modify plans as we go and support each other as we go. That said it is still a stressful transition to plan for, right up there with getting married and buying your first house.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post

DW and I have a planning meeting every Thursday afternoon. Sometimes we meet at the kitchen table and sometimes at our favorite Chinese restaurant. We discuss what we have done, what needs to be done and when will it be done. We modify plans as we go and support each other as we go. That said it is still a stressful transition to plan for, right up there with getting married and buying your first house.
You may go full time and never exit. We went full time and did exit after 4 years. I just think the exit is a good part of the plan.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #26

We are F/T, and will be until we cannot or change our minds.

Exit plan? Easy-peasy! Rent a place in an area with good over-all weather and the infrastructure to support all of our needs. If you rent, you can move!

Until such time, we will be vagabond adventurers, and the Journey will still be our Destination.

Happy Trails!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campdaven View Post
we are f/t, and will be until we cannot or change our minds.

Exit plan? Easy-peasy! Rent a place in an area with good over-all weather and the infrastructure to support all if our needs.
If you rent, you can move!

Until such time, we will be vagabond adventurers, and the journey will still be our destination.

Happy trails!
x2x3x4x5!!!!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #28

For us...full timing provides the opportunity to see everything possible in this beautiful country before we can no longer do it. Like many others, we spent our lives working and raising children, struggling to save enough for their college and our retirement. That meant few vacations and a large part of the U.S. left unseen. We have an exit plan, which is always subject to modification, postponement or downright cancellation. Everything in life comes to an end sometime, sooner or later.

After 18 months, we have been bored at times...wandering aimlessly around the country and wondering what we are doing by just sitting in some area that we don't particularly care for. Hey...we just get up and move. The uncertainty of what lies ahead can be both stressful and exciting. Our goal is to avoid the same roads and campgrounds twice...which is akin to watching a movie for the second time. Too many things to see, too little time.

I do miss my garage though, and the DW misses her garden.

Tags
full time